muffler - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > muffler

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Building a Bumper?

Unread 08-11-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
Mattias25
1991 YJ Wrangler 

muffler

so i have 2.5 and i dont plan to remove it lol but i have big plans for this thing, well until i finish my degree in diesel engineering and put in my 4bt. now im looking for muffler to give me very nice sound from this thing, i am considering getting a new cat or removing it

Mattias25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

What is required in your area for emissions? Cats are usually 100% required
Unread 08-11-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias25 View Post
so i have 2.5 and i dont plan to remove it lol but i have big plans for this thing, well until i finish my degree in diesel engineering and put in my 4bt. now im looking for muffler to give me very nice sound from this thing, i am considering getting a new cat or removing it
While what superj says is absolutely correct, there are still a few places that they just don't care (I live in one of them). That being said, I've still got a cat under mine, but it's been hollow since 2000. I'd still recommend getting a high performance cat in lieu of cutting it off.

For the muffler, it all depends on what your definition of a "nice sounding" muffler is. For the little 2.5s I prefer just a plain jane old turbo, but I never had much luck with longevity under my YJ, so after number 2 or 3, I put on a Magnaflow. It definitely flows better, but it's awfully loud. More than one person has asked me if it was a diesel. On the bright side though, it's been on there for over a decade. I've had pipe break, but the muffler is still going strong.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
Mattias25
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'm looking at magnaflow cat, I want to find nice flowing one. And might get flowmaster 40 or super 44

Sent from my toilet using JeepForum
Unread 08-12-2013, 04:55 AM   #5
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i have never had the 2.5 so i cannot help on the sound of different exhaust systems
Unread 08-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #6
Mattias25
1991 YJ Wrangler 

It's all good man lol any ideas on a good cat?

Unread 08-12-2013, 08:49 AM   #7
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

IMO flow master sound like poo poo on the 2.5, I run a cat and 14 inch magnaflow on mine oh yeah and and a 12 inch glass pack/resonator!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1272253/

94 jeep zj bb lift, 31-10.50-15 toyo at2s, magnaflow exhaust!
zte87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #8
Mattias25
1991 YJ Wrangler 

What magnaflow and what glasspack?

Unread 08-12-2013, 09:24 AM   #9
Mattias25
1991 YJ Wrangler 

How did you get it to fit?

Unread 08-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #10
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantYJ View Post
While what superj says is absolutely correct, there are still a few places that they just don't care (I live in one of them). That being said, I've still got a cat under mine, but it's been hollow since 2000. I'd still recommend getting a high performance cat in lieu of cutting it off.

*some stuff deleted*
You don't live in one of them. You will flunk the Missouri safety inspection without a cat. You should also flunk for no EGR valve, no evap canister or hollowed out cat. Of course, since the safety inspections are done by private stations, what they actually check varies wildly. You just got lucky.
dancytron is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.