Mudding with Body Lift? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Mudding with Body Lift?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-09-2002, 12:36 AM   #1
Mastaman65

Mudding with Body Lift?

Well its just about time for things to get muddy and I was just wondering since I didn't get into it too much last year if taking my jeep out and getting it dirty would be a good idea. I'm just a college student who's looking to have a good time on the weekends I've got a 91' sahara with 3" body lift and 33x12.5 tires and was wondering if my jeep will be much more prone to having parts break due to my body lift? Seeing as how tuition is where most of my cash is going I can't spend a whole lot on my jeep, I just wanted to hear your guys/girls opinions! Thanks for any help

Mastaman65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2002, 06:53 AM   #2
RodeoRob

I don't see a body lift causing any problems... assuming it was of course installed correctly. If you're gonna damage something its gonna be because of the mud itself, so i'd consider that before you go diving through every mud hole you see.

Mud has a way of working itself into places that it shouldn't be and most automotive parts and mud don't mix well... mud isn't the best lubricant for bearings and alternators are particularily vunerable. Also, your engine doesn't breath too well on mud/water, so make sure to keep your intake above the surface.

If you're gonna hit the mud, make sure to give your Jeep a good cleansing afterwards (this includes the engine compartment). And also realize, going muddin can become awful expensive fast.

-Rob
1995.5 Isuzu Rodeo - SAS'd and SOA'd, sitting on 36x12.50 TSLs, D44 front, 14bff rear, locked by OX and Detriot, suspensions by Jeep and Chevy, high steer conversion, 5.13 gearing and Teralow in the case.
robgorrell@yahoo.com - website
RodeoRob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2002, 07:23 AM   #3
Drunc

Muddin is great....but as a fellow college student, I'd say not to go overkill with it

start in small holes and get a fell for how the Jeep handles, then move up from there, you'll know what it can and can't do

do you have a winch??
might be a nice thing to have
Jeep: '88 YJ Laredo I6, Kenwood Deck, Amp and 6x9's, 10" pioneer sub, 2.5" Skyjacker Kit with a 1" body and new front shackles, 32" Mud Kings on 8" Desert Crawlers, CJ style replacement mirrors, ditched the trackbars and the endcaps
Drunc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2002, 07:40 AM   #4
Jeepfreak81
1994 YJ Wrangler 

body lift should have little effect on mudding... if you were rock crawling id have to warn you that i hear over 2" body lifts will eventually weaken body mounts.. all that twisting they act like a lever... BUT if your turning 33's with a stock D35 id also be cautious there... something too deep -- you spin and they grab... broken rear... HOSE everything when your done and grease everything too... this will help alot... one more point - check the depth if it is water covered first -- like rodeo rob said they don't like water and if its too deep you will suck it through the air cleaner and into the cylinders... i worked on a guys jeep at the sand dunes for 2 hours just to get him running -- he didn't do a depth check first and had probably a gallon of water in cyl 4,5,6 on a 99 TJ sahara.... last note -- if you don't have a winch dont go alone... and carry a strap. might want to invest in a bigh lift jack -- can be used as a winch in a bind and its under 100 bux. hope this helps, have fun if uyou go!!
Full Page Club member #004
Green Jeep Club Member #005
Jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2002, 04:58 PM   #5
CB89XJ

I agree w/ the above. Make sure you clean it real good shortly after you're done. Mud that sits on parts for a while will shorten their lives. It's happened to me w/ brakes before on my XJ, and it's annoying. Don't go too overboard w/ the skinny pedal running 33's on a d35, and you should be ok. One advantage to the body lift, is it allows you more space to get the hose in between spaces to clean it out.

www.bmja.org
CB89XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2002, 12:30 AM   #6
Mastaman65

Ahh sweet thanks guys, lol ya man thats the first upside someone has told me about my body lift since I got it
Mastaman65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.