Mud ruins paper filters - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Mud ruins paper filters

Metalcloak: Celebrate Freedom with Free ShippingThe Cure for your Tie Rod Roll!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread Yesterday, 12:02 AM   #1
rustisexpected
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Mud ruins paper filters

So I have the Motorcraft carb and an Edelbroch filter. I have been staring at this filter for 3 years while building this jeep. I was looking for an alternative to get away from the vulnerability of the open paper filter. Does anyone have info on this intake? I'm not really interested in the whole cold air intake, just the part that would cover the carb, and then plumb it into an airbox. Any help is appreciated. And if I am asking a noob question i appologize, but i can't find much on the google machine. Thanks in advance guys.

dsc08003.jpg

rustisexpected is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 02:44 AM   #2
Drednot
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

That reminds me of a cold air intake, and the stock intake "scroll" from a V8 Grand Cherokee or Dodge pickup.

Search "Durango air hat"

Id take measurements and a template to a "pic a part" salvage yard , and scrounge around.

I have an idea floating around in my head about retrofitting a KDX style intake out of a forklift intake assembly or Japanese cabover diesel intake. The forklift gear looks more compact for underhood duty.

Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 03:51 AM   #3
Rebel442
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You don't have a carburetor what you've got there is a Howell or GM type TBI fuel injection set-up. This thread has some pics of air intake setups including mine, which is a modified TJ/Cadillac set-up. Searching for Howell TBI should net some other results.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/c...thing-3190761/
Unread Yesterday, 06:28 AM   #4
rustisexpected
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel442 View Post
You don't have a carburetor what you've got there is a Howell or GM type TBI fuel injection set-up. This thread has some pics of air intake setups including mine, which is a modified TJ/Cadillac set-up. Searching for Howell TBI should net some other results.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/c...thing-3190761/
Sorry i didn't specify, this is a random google photo, not my engine bay. I DO have a Motorcraft carb.

Thanks Dreadnot.
rustisexpected is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 08:45 AM   #5
sptrmike

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I run a 9" round K&N filter "oiled",what I use is there pre charger it is a nylon cover that goes over the air filter element, keeps all the trail crud off the filter when I get home I take it off and wash it. These work great I average about 40,000 miles before I have to actually clean the filter. They make them for all sizes and shapes of air cleaners. http://www.knfilters.com/kn/replacem...FUkWHwodsMoIkg
sptrmike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 09:39 AM   #6
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

It wouldn't be that hard to make a custom cover for one of those K&N type filters. Think outside the box. Home heating and cooling guys make custom stuff all the time. It's just thin sheet metal cut and bent to shape. Sealing the joints with that aluminum tape would be a cinch. Paint it black, let it get dirty on the outside, and it will match everything else under the hood.

If I hadn't been able to make my factory filter box work after swapping to MetalCloak fenders and a larger master cylinder, this was the route I was going to pursue.
Unread Yesterday, 09:47 AM   #7
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Here is one idea.... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/us...topics/1540273
Lots of folks don't like the factory one, but it is the best. Odds are someone either on this or the CJ forum might part with one cheap.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 09:56 AM   #8
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

if you're going to make something custom, why not just jump right to the snorkel? that would really help to keep mud and dust out.
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.