MSD 6A tach failure - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > MSD 6A tach failure

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #1
whiskeywiz
Heineken?
1989 YJ Wrangler 

MSD 6A tach failure

Installed the MSD 6A with flamethrower ignition and taylor 8mm wires. Tachometer does not work. Input?
Thanks

whiskeywiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 06:41 AM   #2
blown50
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeywiz
Installed the MSD 6A with flamethrower ignition and taylor 8mm wires. Tachometer does not work. Input?
Thanks
The easy way is to get the msd tach adapter! I tried other ways and did get it to work, but it wasn't accurate! Get the adapter, saves a lot of head scratching
blown50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
tom_sprecher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

This one worked perfectly on the race car.

Get the adapter.
Unread 04-04-2013, 08:28 PM   #4
whiskeywiz
Heineken?
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blown50 View Post
The easy way is to get the msd tach adapter! I tried other ways and did get it to work, but it wasn't accurate! Get the adapter, saves a lot of head scratching
Buddy is suggesting building the adapter, depending on if the voltage is linear to the rpm's? For now I'll let him take a look and see if he can save me fifty bucks.
Unread 04-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #5
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

MSD swears you don't need the adapter. I call BS cause mine never worked when I had the MSD, I'd just buy the adapter.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #6
whiskeywiz
Heineken?
1989 YJ Wrangler 

What's messed up is the very easy to read instructions showing 2 different installations for AMC motors both utilizing the tach horsehoe. How can installation be so simple with no indication of any issue, and not work because an unmentioned adapter is required? A real kick in the balls...
Unread 04-05-2013, 06:58 AM   #7
blown50
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe
MSD swears you don't need the adapter. I call BS cause mine never worked when I had the MSD, I'd just buy the adapter.
You don't have to have the adapter, I got mine to work without one! But it didn't read correct. Some people like to take the long path (like me). In the end for it to work rite, the adapter will have to be used. Or a adapter!
Unread 04-05-2013, 07:42 AM   #8
whiskeywiz
Heineken?
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Cant fathom why tach functionality wouldnt be built into the unit. As if only Porsches have tachs. Silly.
Unread 04-05-2013, 11:59 AM   #9
blown50
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeywiz
Cant fathom why tach functionality wouldnt be built into the unit. As if only Porsches have tachs. Silly.
It is for aftermarket tachs, but the jeep has shall I say a voltage sensing tack ( I don't want to explain the operation of the tach) I went thru several hours figuring it out! In the end I got the tach adapter! Just thought I would save someone a headache By the way, the loop wire on the 6a will have to be cut for it to register rite
Unread 04-05-2013, 01:36 PM   #10
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have head several vehicles withthe MSD 6 box and every single one of them didn't work worth a ***** when it came to the tach. Even the Digital 6 in the Duster didn't work properly. I had to get the tach adapter for everyone of them.
Unread 04-05-2013, 05:55 PM   #11
whiskeywiz
Heineken?
1989 YJ Wrangler 

"91 YJ, 350/700R4/231, 8.8/HPD30 with 3.73s, 6" SOA with 38" TSLs. If I ever see the previous owner again, I am going to curb stomp that meth-head brain dead crackpot."

I know what you mean, if I ever see my 89 YJ's previous owner I'll give him a sweeping right hook to the head and a boot to the body.
Unread 04-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #12
whiskeywiz
Heineken?
1989 YJ Wrangler 

not because I'm mad, but because he deserves it
Unread 04-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #13
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeywiz View Post
not because I'm mad, but because he deserves it
This!!

I traded a Gorgeous 74 Duster with a 612 hp stroker smallblock, brand new paint, built trans, built Dana60 rear and complete interior for my YJ and $3,000. He lied to me about the trans, engine, front end, rear end, lift, body, wiring, roll bar. Basically lied about EVERYTHING.

The old saying "Putty and paint will make it what it ain't" was true. I thought I did pretty good on the deal; a week later I threatened his life.
Unread 04-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #14
whiskeywiz
Heineken?
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I sold my 88 mustang, pretty much stock, clean, no rust, taken care of, to buy a Jeep. I do not regret selling the 'stang, after 7 years of ownership I was at a point with it that it needed a bunch of money put into it to keep up with the Hondas and I always wanted a Jeep so I sold it.

I went out a few weekends with cash in hand and a car trailer all over to buy Jeeps that turned out not to be what they appeared online. One ******* in Ohio had two different length axles on this thing and tried telling me it was "widetrack".

So I was getting frustrated and bought my YJ that looked worth the $. Turns out the transfer case was WASTED, I mean an inch and a half of slack in the chain and therefore gears smoked. So I replaced that. Then I discovered that the rear wheels weren't centered in the wheel wells. LEAF SPRINGS MOUNTED 180 DEGREES BACKWARDS

Latest discovery was the manual choke being mounted backwards, (lever out = no choke, lever in = choke), after driving it for a period of time with the freaking choke on
Also he put a fuel filter on that didn't have a breather valve so he cut the breather hose short and let hang so when I filled the tank it came pouring out the hose.

Don't know what it is with Jeeps, but some real dickweeds sell them

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.