MPI Fuel System Problems? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > MPI Fuel System Problems?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 07-30-2005, 06:56 PM   #1
Yoink

MPI Fuel System Problems?

I'm looking for a little advice before I purchase a new fuel pump.

Symptoms:
Currently the Jeep won't start. Before it stopped starting it was acting like it was running out of fuel despite a full fuel tank, just filled it up yesterday. Last week it did a very similar thing cranks, tries to start and then sputters and dies. I replaced the fuel filter. THe problem disppeared until today. When it runs, if you push the gas the tries to die and smells real bad. The exhaust pops and the engine generally runs like ***. Before it got to the point where it died, it was drivable if you slowly pushed on the gas, if you tried to give it any more throttle though it would bog down and act like it was running out of gas. This is an I6 Fuel Injected. I've replaced the fuel filter, spark plugs, checked the distributor cap (it was a little dirty so I cleaned it. I've also cleaned the air filter. I think it sounds like a bad fuel pump or mebbe I've got some junk in my gas tank that's clogging my filter again.

Question:
Am I on the right track? Should I buy a new fuel pump? Should I be looking at other things? Aside from taking it to a mechanic what are some tests I can do to narrow down the actual problem.

Thanks for the future use of your brains.

AIM - XDemiG0DX42
Yoink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2005, 09:07 PM   #2
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoink
what are some tests I can do to narrow down the actual problem.

Thanks for the future use of your brains.
check your fuel pressure. if it's jumping around it's probably the pump. does sound like it could be the pump though. you might try some injector cleaner as well

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2005, 11:17 PM   #3
kg6mti
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I second the check of the fuel pressure. Check your fuel lines also the system needs to hold pressure. You mentioned that it smells real bad. Does it smell like fuel?
Unread 07-31-2005, 04:03 PM   #4
Yoink

Continued

Okay, so today I bought a fuel pressure tester from Autozone. I plugged it in and ran the test in the FSM. I'm getting about 39 PSI no matter what. FSM says that with the vacuum hose plugged into the fuel pressure regulator I should get about 31 PSI, I get 39. With the Hose UNPLUGGED it's supposed to be 39, I get 39. So this indicates to me that there is something wiggy with the fuel pressure regulator but everything in the book says that if the regulator is bum the pressure should stay at 31... not stay at 39. WTF? We also through there were some ignition problems so we switched out the ignition coil after some tests that determined that it was an issue. Directly after the coil was replaced the motor cranked right up and ran nice and smooth for a good 10 minutes and then started into the same crap. If it's the fule pump shouldn't that mean my pressure should be super low, not more or less normal? Advice? Help? Please.

AIM - XDemiG0DX42
Unread 08-05-2005, 12:22 AM   #5
Yoink

Oddly Enough

This ended up being a spark issue. Turns out the coil inside the distributor was dying. Just thought I'd post some closure in case anyone else comes across this problem in the future. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

AIM - XDemiG0DX42
Unread 08-05-2005, 04:54 AM   #6
kimvansa
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoink
This ended up being a spark issue. Turns out the coil inside the distributor was dying. Just thought I'd post some closure in case anyone else comes across this problem in the future. Thanks for the suggestions guys.
So what did you replace, the coil or the distributor or did you mean condenser?
kimvansa is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.