Moving rear seat back - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 01-19-2007, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Flashfoto
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Moving rear seat back

Has anyone seen or made new bracket's to move the rear seat further back, so passenger's could have legroom??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-19-2007, 07:56 PM
Nate's Wrangler

Well im a 17 year old guy so please dont think my decision was smart in any way. All i did was move the brackets on the seat so that the front two mounting holes were repositioned over the rear two threads. Now this is not safe and I'm sure ill be laughed at but, to make it safer i would take the rear brackets on the wheel wells of the jeep back about 3 inches or whatever the ammount. This doesnt seem at first to be alot more room but believe me i dont think my friends have been happier. Also while your taken off the wheel well mounts i would suggest reversing them to take strain off of the bolts in case of an accident. I need to redo mine but at the moment I didn't care.

I drive a Jeep, You drive a Tracker, I'm sorry.
post #3 of 15 Old 01-19-2007, 08:26 PM
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

To do it right, any new bolt holes should have backing plates about as robust as are there now (crawl under and have a look). The rear center seat belt mount would likely have to be moved, which would be tough with the fuel tank under it. Your friends might not like leg room at the expense of death in an accident.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 Old 01-19-2007, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Flashfoto
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Nate,

That IS a viable option. And, I thought of that as my first "fix", because it's easy. But, I have an aftermarket rear seat & it doesn't use the OEM lock's on the wheel well's, anyway.

What I would like to do, is get rid of the upright hinge pin's entirely along with the stock seatbelt floor anchor & come up with a method where I can end up without anything sticking up from the flat floor when the seat is out & a way to remove the belt's off the floor at the same time.

I know I can make bracket's that will bolt in the original location's & no big deal to bolt & unbolt when needed. But, I was wondering what other option's, if any, that reader's had done or heard of.
post #5 of 15 Old 01-19-2007, 08:33 PM
bobbert350

you could take out the rear seat and tell them to sit on the ground...really i wouldnt move the seat back so your friends could have more room it wouldnt be worth it in my view..if someone doesnt like sitting in the backseat of your jeep tell them to drive themselves

i dont have a backseat...i have 2 seats 1 for me and one for my wingman thats all i need the other are baggage

88 jeep wrangler, 4.2, auto---cragar soft 8's, d35 locker, bucket seats with 5 point harnesses, warn bumper w/ grill gaurd, winch plate, kc daylighters, light bar, herc the interrior, rebuilt tranny (yay) with tranny cooler, winch and msd ignition, 3.5 inch fabtech lift, currie boomerang shackles f/r, weber carb...[B]

Why only go anywere fast when you can go anywhere
post #6 of 15 Old 01-19-2007, 10:20 PM
MY90YJ

having seen waht happens when sets come loose in accidents, I would say backing plates would be ideal.

I rarely run a rear bench, hauling crap all the time.

i used to have money, but heck, you cant wheel a checkbook
post #7 of 15 Old 01-19-2007, 11:18 PM
Weekender1969
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashfoto
Nate,

That IS a viable option. And, I thought of that as my first "fix", because it's easy. But, I have an aftermarket rear seat & it doesn't use the OEM lock's on the wheel well's, anyway.

What I would like to do, is get rid of the upright hinge pin's entirely along with the stock seatbelt floor anchor & come up with a method where I can end up without anything sticking up from the flat floor when the seat is out & a way to remove the belt's off the floor at the same time.

I know I can make bracket's that will bolt in the original location's & no big deal to bolt & unbolt when needed. But, I was wondering what other option's, if any, that reader's had done or heard of.
Not sure this will help you but...
I did a conversion on a F150 one time where I put a camper top on it and then removed the rear glass and installed a boot and a seat in the bed. I partitioned off the camper top and sealed it all in, worked great.
The way I made it legal was that I grabbed a seat out of a Suburban. The seat belts were all built in to the seat. I looked up the DOT regs and as long as I used like 1/4 inch steel as a backing when I mounted the seats I was more than OK.
Being on the under side of a pickup is probably just as bad as a jeep so this should work, with a LOT OF WORK. Now I know that the full width Suburban seat will not fit in the back of a YJ. But I remember the Suburban I got the seats from having a two person seat in the rear that also had the seat belts integrated into the seat, maybe it will fit . These were only lap balts so I do not know the legalities of putting them in a vehicle that has shoulder belts, but it may be something you want to look at as an option.
Dale
post #8 of 15 Old 01-19-2007, 11:39 PM
redjeep669
2009 JK Wrangler 

why not try to drill and tap new holes where you want them? or just tell them to deal with it. i also took the route of removing my rear seat.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-19-2007, 11:41 PM
Nate's Wrangler

Well the prob with tapping new holes is where the gas tank is.

post #10 of 15 Old 01-19-2007, 11:43 PM
Weekender1969
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate's Wrangler
Well the prob with tapping new holes is where the gas tank is.
I hate to tell ya, but if you are gonna move that seat back? The gas tank is gonna come out! Simple as that, no other way to do it safely!!!
Dale
post #11 of 15 Old 01-20-2007, 12:26 AM
bobbert350

the only real non pita way i could think of would be to make a braket on which it will bolt into where the seat sits now and then the bench would bolt into on top of this...one prob with this is it needs to be very strong...and you would need more than just a few re-enforcements..but i have no idea if you would pass inspections with it rigged like that.....again i would say screw the people in the back and tell them to deal with it..if they dont like it walk...or have midgets for freinds and put them in back

88 jeep wrangler, 4.2, auto---cragar soft 8's, d35 locker, bucket seats with 5 point harnesses, warn bumper w/ grill gaurd, winch plate, kc daylighters, light bar, herc the interrior, rebuilt tranny (yay) with tranny cooler, winch and msd ignition, 3.5 inch fabtech lift, currie boomerang shackles f/r, weber carb...[B]

Why only go anywere fast when you can go anywhere
post #12 of 15 Old 01-20-2007, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Flashfoto
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have no intention of moving the seat belt bracket location. I can extend the belt's to come thru the back of the seat. What I would do there, is use a quick-connect so I can remove the belt's when not needed.

As for the front's, I can move the location and I would use strong backers in the process.

I know pretty much what CAN or should NOT be done. My intent is to find anyone who has done a modification.

We usually don't carry passenger. But, when we do, it's another couple & the gal's sit in the back. So, telling my wife to "drive themselves" or "stay home", is not a safe option! LOL!!

And, no vehicle inspection's in California except smog! Thank the god's for THAT!!
post #13 of 15 Old 01-20-2007, 08:19 AM
redjeep669
2009 JK Wrangler 

if it's going to be a permanent thing you may be able to just weld in the brackets where you want them.
post #14 of 15 Old 01-20-2007, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Flashfoto
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Redjeep,

No, don't want it permanent, in case I sell the Jeep at a later date.
post #15 of 15 Old 01-25-2007, 07:49 PM
Nate's Wrangler

I have a friend who is selling his jeep. He has some how made a heavy gauge steel cradle for his seat so it sits on top of the wheel wells so that it is suspended im pretty sure its just a bolt on. I could take pictures as a reference for you later or i could see if he's willing to sell it. The cradle needs painted but other than that is fine. I'm still not saying this is safe because i have no idea how much force this thing can go under but in theory is pretty sound.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.