Moving to CA. Advice about smog tests? - JeepForum.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 09-23-2017, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
DangerManV
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Moving to CA. Advice about smog tests?

Hey guys, I'm moving to CA for a new job. I don't need to hear any anti-CA opinions, so let's move on.

My 88 YJ probably won't pass inspection. It is currently tagged in Texas. It needs a Cat added, so i'll do that and install new sensors before I test it. No problem there.

The only issue I'm hearing about is a visual inspection? Do they look that closely under the hood? My EGR\CTO equipment, Evap canister, and all that is functioning. I have a WEBER 32/36 carb. It all works fine.

It doesn't have any smog pump stuff. I don't think it ever did? I've seen quite a few YJs and I've never seen any with a smog pump in person. I honestly don't know anything about pulse air systems. They just don't exist here.

Does CA really expect me to add something to the Jeep that it didn't have to begin with? I don't see where it would even connect to operate.

Please advise!

1988 Wrangler, 6 cylinder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 09-23-2017, 11:40 AM
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

California is beautiful. I'm sure you'll love it. There is no reason your 88 won't pass with some effort and money. Can you tell us how much money you are willing to spend to get it up to speed? Because in the final hail marry pass, you can always install a Howell TBI which has a CARB sticker.

Where are you moving in CA? maybe we can pair you up with a JeepForum smog mentor in your local jurisdiction. Smog testing is actually a GOOD thing. It will make sure your jeep is in good working order. There are two bad things about CA smog testing: #1) You have to pay $200 extra for a "50 state catalytic converter", don't try to buy a 48 state cat. which is just as good, but hasn't paid the California extortion tax #2.) Non CARB certified upgrades are illegal (because the companies haven't paid the extortion tax), why do they care what is on your jeep if you can make your emissions standards?

Your inspection really depends heavily on what county (and municipality) you live in. Some will do rollers (maximum tire pressure on the rollers!), some will do visual (clean up that wiring!), some will just do sniffer test (Make the jeep run good, give it a good cat).

One thing I always advise, clean up the engine bay and wiring, and make sure everything LOOKS stock. You want no reason for the inspector to take a closer look at anything.

If I had to guess, I would say you will need an EGR. You want them to say " 1988, yep, there's the EGR, yep there's the catalytic converter, yep there's the carburetor" and then move on to the sniffer.

Have you conducted the nutter bypass? The pulse air equipment is usually removed with the nutter. The nutter is extraordinarily common at this point, which is why you probably have never seen pulse air. People do pass CA with a nutter, and it really cleans up the wiring to keep prying eyes away. (although there is no way I can recommend it, because it may technically be illegal despite running better emissions numbers and better MPG)

After putting in a California legal catalytic converter and getting your jeep up to emissions standards, you'll probably feel better, and the trees will hug you as you drive past.
post #3 of 29 Old 09-23-2017, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
DangerManV
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I enjoy clean air, no worries.

I am all for the Jeep running cleaner. You'll find no protest from me on that point. I just want it to pass.

So the pulse air stuff isn't a big issue? My bay is clean. There are a few wires that need to be connected to my new sensors, but that will be taken care of.

My current plan is to buy a 50 state cat and install it, with a new 02 sensor and a new coolant sensor. The wires are broken on those.

I don't know if it has been nuttered. I don't think the PO went that far with it. That giant junky wire harness is still there. They just had it running good enough to wheel it. I've been getting it street ready again for months and it's doing well so far.

The EGR system is fully connected. It improved my fumes a ton to have it connected. When I first got it, it was all capped off. The fumes would make it undriveable with the top on.

I will be living north of Hollywood and working in Burbank.

post #4 of 29 Old 09-23-2017, 12:46 PM
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

One of the problems is, you won't know if the pulse air system is a big deal or not. It will be dependent on your inspector. I wouldn't try to reinstall the system though. If the inspector demands it, and there seems to be no way around it, I'd jump right to TBI. The C.A.R.B sticker that comes with it gives you a certain amount of immunity.

Luuca is an hour South East of you and rebuilds jeeps all the time for fun and profit. He is probably either the grandmaster you want to consult with, or can find you another grandmaster California Jeeper.

If possible, You want to find another jeeper between 86 and 90 that lives in your inspection district. Then you can copy their engine bay.
post #5 of 29 Old 09-23-2017, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
DangerManV
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
So the EGR stuff being hooked up is a plus. They'll sail that through. If I get a specific type of pencil-neck, they'll act up over the lack of a smog pump system.

What about the Weber? It has that little square air cleaner. Should I try to fit a stock air cleaner on it just in case?

How do you identify a 50 state cat? Is it just that pulse air tube connector or something different? I'd like to just buy a universal cat that is CA legal. The OEM cat for this is like $300.

post #6 of 29 Old 09-23-2017, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
DangerManV
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Here's the bay. It's pretty straight forward. The bundle of wires near the brake cylinder originally went to the crappy Carter carb. They will be trimmed and hidden away neatly in split tubing. The brackets bundled there will be fed to the 02 sensor and coolant sensor when I replace those. That all will look clean and protected when I'm done.

All of the EGR stuff is connected right. It is Teed into the advance port, goes through a 5-port CTO. The PCV Tees into the Evap canister. Carb bowl vent goes to canister. Gas tank vent line is connected as well. That is all correct and works well. Like I said, when I first bought this YJ, you may as well have been riding inside the gas tank.
Attached Thumbnails
20170923_140635 (1).jpg  

post #7 of 29 Old 09-23-2017, 02:15 PM
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I think the biggest thing that raises suspicion to my eye is the fuel pressure regulator and pressure gauge in view. That makes me think that things are aftermarket.

Also, like you said, the air filter gives it away if the inspector knows the difference between a carter and a weber. Technically changing the carb is not allowed, but again, sometimes these pass.

Also like you mentioned, unconnected wires (or hoses) in view will arose suspicion. Make sure you label them when you trim them, just in case you can find a cheapo stock carb to install for inspection purposes. Maybe even consider adding a (labeled) plug to them.

As far as the 50 state legal cat, It just means that it is a 3-way cat and the company has paid to have it certified to California and NY standards. There may be a marking for inspection, but I don't actually know what to look for. There may not actually be any way to tell if it is an official 50 state vs 48 state 3-way cat without the receipt. This means that a 48 state could potentially pass without suspicion, but with the price of your time for install, I don't know if I would bother taking that chance. I'd just keep the receipt in the owner's manual in the glove compartment for future evidence.

Also, just in case you need it.... This kit is expensive, but in addition to the cat will 100% get you where you need to be, including a broadening of your horsepower curve, better cold starts, and better performance at altitude and when the vehicle is not on level ground. Every sane person prefers this kit, it is just a matter of the large investment: http://howellefi.com/jeep-tbi-produc...issions-legal/
post #8 of 29 Old 09-23-2017, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
DangerManV
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Is a pressure regulator that unusual? I guess I could take it off while inspecting. I mainly use it and the gauge to see if the electric fuel pump is working without interruptions.

I love those Howell kits. I don't mind installing one later on, I just can't do it as soon as I move. Any idea what a shop would charge to install one?

post #9 of 29 Old 09-23-2017, 09:08 PM
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I'm in LA county. Not far from where you're moving.

I don't think there is any hope of you passing with that carb. You have to have all of the original smog components in place. Some of that is hard to find. If you found it all, it would be a giant jigsaw puzzle trying to make it all work right with emissions in spec.

I only see 2 realistic options. The Howell system, or the Mopar FI system. Those are CARB approved. I run the Howell system and it runs clean. I don't have any experience with the Mopar system.

There is a shop that I see on Craigslist here that says they sell and install the Howell kit. Might be good to discuss your options with them, assuming you can't or don't want to DIY.

Short term you can get it registered and placed on non-operative. That way you are legal to have it here, and you can store it on your property. But you cannot drive it on the street. Cannot even park it on the street. You have to get a temp permit to take it for your smog test, once you've got the work done. DMV can explain the process.

Hopefully you will have other transportation.

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/...285895976.html

Bill
Dodge did not build my Jeep.
1988 Wrangler,4.2L I-6, Howell EFI JP-1,CRT HEI Ign,AX15 ext slave conversion, Zone 2.5" lift + 1/2" booms, BFG 31 x 10.5, Bestop.
post #10 of 29 Old 09-23-2017, 09:11 PM
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Bill is 100% right, you either need all of the stock stuff or do a CARB approved FI kit. I can tell you without doubt the Howell kit will pass with better numbers than the stock stuff will, what you have on it now would probably pass the sniffer better than the stock stuff but they don't care about that, they care about money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #11 of 29 Old 09-23-2017, 09:20 PM
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Unless that particular YJ has some great sentimental value, your best bet will be to sell it in TX and buy another one when you get to CA. We've got plenty of rust free specimens at fair prices.
jbolty likes this.

Bill
Dodge did not build my Jeep.
1988 Wrangler,4.2L I-6, Howell EFI JP-1,CRT HEI Ign,AX15 ext slave conversion, Zone 2.5" lift + 1/2" booms, BFG 31 x 10.5, Bestop.
post #12 of 29 Old 09-23-2017, 10:29 PM
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ugh, not sounding like good news from the californians

I'm sorry for your loss...
post #13 of 29 Old 09-24-2017, 02:35 AM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

2005 LJ Wrangler 

It will be cheaper to buy a 2wd XJ and swap over the engine, Fuel Injection, etc. than buy and install a howell.

Bring it here - don't do anything yet. you have 30 days once you get here and that's a little lax too. Don't buy anything. You and I will take it to my smog guy (as we discussed in PM) and he will give us the good/bad news. I can source a FI 4.0 running - no knocks for about $400 including the intake. We will make it work for as little as possible.
bpounds and Beach248 like this.

91 YJ "Alice" 4.0L, AX-15, NP 231 Flange, Adams Driveshafts F/R, 2.5" OME 36Rs, 5/8" /f12 Booms, 32" Yoko ATs, 4.10 D30/35 AutoLockers F/R
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
YJOTM Sept. 2017
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost"

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #14 of 29 Old 09-24-2017, 09:36 AM
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca View Post
It will be cheaper to buy a 2wd XJ and swap over the engine, Fuel Injection, etc. than buy and install a howell.

Bring it here - don't do anything yet. you have 30 days once you get here and that's a little lax too. Don't buy anything. You and I will take it to my smog guy (as we discussed in PM) and he will give us the good/bad news. I can source a FI 4.0 running - no knocks for about $400 including the intake. We will make it work for as little as possible.

THIS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #15 of 29 Old 09-24-2017, 11:09 AM
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Dude! Take Luuca up on his offer. Learn to rebuild jeeps cheaply and cleanly!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.