Mounting a Warn 8274 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Mounting a Warn 8274

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 02-20-2012, 11:00 PM   #1
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Mounting a Warn 8274

I'm picking up an old-but-working-fine Warn 8274 tomorrow ($150-someone owed a friend a deal, and I get to take advantage of it.) I haven't got a chance to see if it's a 8274-50 or not.

I've never installed a winch before. It has cable and remote. I might be able to score the mount from whatever it was on before and fab something up?? don't know - haven't seen it yet.

1) What size power cables should I use? Will 1/0 welding cable be enough?
2) Does anyone think removing the front cross brace and sinking the winch between the rails is a terrible idea??

Found this pic but it was from a 2008 post in another forum.

imstillatwork is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 05:17 AM   #2
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

My buddy bought this and welded it onto his CJ bumper. He had to add a plate to the top but it worked out great.

http://www.tmrcustoms.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_29&produc ts_id=416

Pics of it installed, though not very good.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 09:09 AM   #3
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I just got done building this for my winch.

Here it is installed.
skyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I just picked it up today. Rough on the outside, but functions perfectly. Cable is in great shape.
It was mounted on an OLD jeep (60s?) with a home-made hack job 1/2 inch thick base, front plate and gussets. I passed. way to overkill for me.

A friend had an extra front mount winch plate that might work. It might be a bit too narrow, will it be ok to bolt it to a flat plate that is bolted to the frame?

can't wait to tear the thing apart and clean & paint it up.
Unread 02-21-2012, 05:13 PM   #5
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imstillatwork View Post

A friend had an extra front mount winch plate that might work. It might be a bit too narrow, will it be ok to bolt it to a flat plate that is bolted to the frame?

can't wait to tear the thing apart and clean & paint it up.
There are a lot of rebuild threads and videos for that particular winch. If I could I'd trade my rebuilt M8000 for an old M8274, working or not. For the mount you just need to make sure the feet are bolted to a vertical plate. I would get one of the mounts everyone on here is suggesting and welding it to the top plate of the bumper. Something to that effect at least.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 06:31 PM   #6
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

That sounds like the plan, thanks a lot. If what I have doesn't work out I'll grab one of those mounts.
Unread 02-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #7
panaceabeachbum
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I sure would like to find an 8274 I could afford
panaceabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 10:21 PM   #8
bigmeangreen
1995 YJ Wrangler 

guess im lucky... I have one on my yj and it pulls great. Dont really know what gauge wire i used... it was old welding cable. haha... just make sure your pulling cable it put on correctly b/c if not birdsnest are a pita. Oh yeah it will hold 150 ft thats why they are popular. I would really like to know were that guy got the front bumper OP... but i might have to make one.
()_) ()_)--o--)_) Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit
bigmeangreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 10:59 PM   #9
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The photo is from tkotrailriders.com but I can't find the post.

I like the idea, but too much work for me

I torn the winch apart this evening and although it's pretty decroded on the outside from the Oregon weather, the insides all look very, very nice once I cleaned out the rusty oil water.
Brake rings were thick, brushes look like NEW, brush braids are shiny and nice, armature is pretty darn clean, and the commutator only had minimal crud in the grooves.
The only thing I'm not sure about is the first reduction gear off the motor has a lot of lateral play on the shaft, but otherwise the bearings are tight (no off axis play - wrong terms I'm sure.)

The cable is 150 3/8 and looks like it's been unspooled only a few times. the lower layers are super nice. I found no kinks or fray anywhere.

Totally stoked!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.