mounting CJ style mirrors help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > mounting CJ style mirrors help

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 10-29-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
ClayJohnson
1989 YJ Wrangler 

mounting CJ style mirrors help

can anyone tell me or show me how to mount CJ style mirrors on my YJ?

ClayJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
blitz134

1990 YJ Wrangler 

There are two types really...both kinda look the same but the mounting is different...

If you want to use true CJ mirrors you'll need to drill and tap the front of your lower windshield hinge...or get new hinges that already have the holes in them. I did the later b/c I needed new hinges anyways.

They also make another style that looks like the CJ mirrors, but they utilize two of the existing fasteners on the lower windshield hinge. So you just remove the two bolts, put the bracket in place and use some longer bolts for it.

Be forewarned, the hinge bolts can be near impossible to remove.

Any reason you want these mirrors? I can understand if you don't have any doors. But if you do look at the half-door style mirrors. The CJ mirrors vibrate so badly you can barely see out of them. Also, the pass side mirror is almost useless. I mainly have them to stay legal w/o doors.
Unread 10-29-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The true CJ style:

^these require these type of hinges shown below (or drilling and tapping the OEM YJ hinges to match):

This type mounts to the upper hinge at the outside (not forward facing) torx bolt locations:

There is a 3rd style made by Kentrol that mounts to the front face of the lower windshield hinge (or the upper if you prefer) using the torx bolt locations on the OEM YJ hinge (no drilling/tapping required):

I went from the second style to the third style. I don't have any real problems with them vibrating too much. The passenger side mirror is definitely of limited use though - the useful sweet spot is really small. I just have it on to stay street legal
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 11:28 PM   #4
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Here's a really old pic of mine with the CJ mirrors, I too did the new tapped hinges.......

After enough time they tend to not stay in place very well, I tired of not being able to see out of them and opted to install half door style (TJ style) mirrors on the full doors.....

timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 03:56 AM   #5
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonRubicon View Post
The true CJ style:

^these require these type of hinges shown below (or drilling and tapping the OEM YJ hinges to match):

This type mounts to the upper hinge at the outside (not forward facing) torx bolt locations:

There is a 3rd style made by Kentrol that mounts to the front face of the lower windshield hinge (or the upper if you prefer) using the torx bolt locations on the OEM YJ hinge (no drilling/tapping required):

I went from the second style to the third style. I don't have any real problems with them vibrating too much. The passenger side mirror is definitely of limited use though - the useful sweet spot is really small. I just have it on to stay street legal
I have the type from the third pic, I cut the arms so that they are straight and of equal length. When I first mounted them when they were all crooked and lopsided, the OCD alarm started going off in my head, psychotic rage. I haven't had any problems with them falling out of adjustment at all, they vibrate a lot but so does everything else on the Jeep.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 08:48 AM   #6
Fozzybear42
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I did the CJ Style mirrors on mine a few months ago. I didn't like how far they stuck out when mounted to the windshield hinges outside so I actually mounted them to the inside windshield plate that bolts into the dash and windshield frame. It worked out quite well and pulled them in a couple inches.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/13011_1002.htm

These are the interior brackets I mounted them to, if you don't know what I'm talking about:

To echo what Blitz said, these things vibrate really bad and you can barely see anything in them. I'm going to keep my jeep covered for the winter and doors off all summer so I did it primarily to stay legal while doorless.
Fozzybear42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 09:25 AM   #7
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

I have the second style that mounts to the side of the windshield hinge. Once I tightened them properly, I have had no problems with them getting knocked out of adjustment.

I can't stand the K-Car style Chrysler mirrors that mount to the half doors, they do not look like they belong on a Jeep.
Unread 10-30-2012, 08:22 PM   #8
az_zoner
2004 TJ Wrangler 

CJ Mirrors

Here is a pic of when I was mounting a set of CJ mirrors. I left the old mirrors on so I could get the new ones in the right place. They are solid as a rock and allow us to take the doors off now. We installed them on both sides.

cb
img_0572.jpg   img_0569.jpg  
az_zoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2012, 08:44 AM   #9
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old4X View Post
I have the second style that mounts to the side of the windshield hinge. Once I tightened them properly, I have had no problems with them getting knocked out of adjustment.

I can't stand the K-Car style Chrysler mirrors that mount to the half doors, they do not look like they belong on a Jeep.
And after about 5 minutes, all the vibrations make them sink down so you're looking at your tires instead of what's behind you in traffic.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2012, 10:18 AM   #10
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevilJeeper View Post
And after about 5 minutes, all the vibrations make them sink down so you're looking at your tires instead of what's behind you in traffic.
Mine have not moved in 2+ years, and I drive it 5 days a week. Man up on the adjusting bolt and it will stay in place.

The only mod I did I learned here about stopping the whistle above 40 MPH. A little elect tape and all is quiet now.
Unread 02-14-2013, 06:03 AM   #11
ggarland
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old4X View Post
Mine have not moved in 2+ years, and I drive it 5 days a week. Man up on the adjusting bolt and it will stay in place.

The only mod I did I learned here about stopping the whistle above 40 MPH. A little elect tape and all is quiet now.
Sorry to be coming into this thread so late but I just stumbled across it. I have purchased a pair of Rugged Ridge CJ style mirrors to go on my 95 YJ. I have hard doors and the factory mirrors are horrible (when the doors are on). The mounts on the ones I bought don't look exactly like any of the ones in the pictures but are the side mount type and fit the hinge mounting screws without drilling. Mounting the right side was no problem except that I had to bend the arm a little to get the mirror where that I could see down the side and not out in a pasture. The drivers side is a different story. I think they sent the wrong arm. I think I am going to have to drill the bolt hole 90* out so that it doesn't look across the hood.
I would be real interested in the electrical tape modification mentioned by Old 4X if anyone could point me to the thread or explain it to me.
ggarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2013, 06:34 AM   #12
ggarland
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Part 2

I just thought of another question. The screws coming out of the hinge has beveled heads and the hole is counter sunk to match the head. Is there any kind of insert that can be placed in this hole to make it flush with the hinge? My mirrors have flat mounting brackets and when I put the bolts in and tighten down on them they pull into the bevel and warp the bracket. If anyone knows of such an insert or some other way of filling this in could you please share where to find it or how to fill it?

Thanks.
Unread 02-14-2013, 06:36 AM   #13
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I love mine...They stay in place on the highway, but do get moved around on the trail from branches.... I have some "limb risers" I made and helps

I ordered the mirros only from Qtec and tapped my hinges..

Due to the windshiled light on the passenger side I had to fab my own mirror riser, just 1/2" EMT... Works great..
paint3.jpg  
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2013, 08:07 AM   #14
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggarland View Post
Sorry to be coming into this thread so late but I just stumbled across it. I have purchased a pair of Rugged Ridge CJ style mirrors to go on my 95 YJ. I have hard doors and the factory mirrors are horrible (when the doors are on). The mounts on the ones I bought don't look exactly like any of the ones in the pictures but are the side mount type and fit the hinge mounting screws without drilling. Mounting the right side was no problem except that I had to bend the arm a little to get the mirror where that I could see down the side and not out in a pasture. The drivers side is a different story. I think they sent the wrong arm. I think I am going to have to drill the bolt hole 90* out so that it doesn't look across the hood.
I would be real interested in the electrical tape modification mentioned by Old 4X if anyone could point me to the thread or explain it to me.
The whistle comes from the ridges on the gasket that holds the mirror glass in the frame. Just take some elect tape and put 2 wraps completely around the mirror gasket . Once it is on, you will not see the tape, and the whistle is gone.
Unread 02-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #15
ggarland
1995 YJ Wrangler 

NHFireYJ - I love those fenders! Does your name indicate that you are in the fire service in New Hampshire?

Oops, before I asked that question I should have noticed the IAFF sticker on your window.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.