Mounting a bumper! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Mounting a bumper!

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 08-18-2011, 09:14 PM   #1
Vin91
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Mounting a bumper!

Ok so i have built a front an rear bumper for my beast an i am trying to figure out what the best way to attach my bumpers to my frame??? What would be the best way to do this??

Vin91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 09:37 PM   #2
hrt4me
1991 YJ Wrangler 

pics of your bumpers?

I would suggest you just weld them to the frame...
hrt4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2011, 09:41 PM   #3
Sovereign08
2000 TJ Wrangler 

you really shouldn't mount your bumper if its not consensual. Everything after that would just be awkward.

http://www.facebook.com/BringTyHome
Sovereign08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2011, 06:54 AM   #4
Vin91
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Can't Put pics from my phone sry... I will when i get home, but i still need some ideas?? I have a rear tire carriers and a stinger on will have a winch as well so i need to come up with something that is going to take a beating.. Anyone got pics of there own bumper builds and how they mounted there's??
Vin91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2011, 06:59 AM   #5
VACJ5
1991 YJ Wrangler 

post pics of your bumpers when you get a chance... but it sounds like you just need some frame tie ins.

BeachMetalWorks Custom CNC cut Jeep parts & more
VACJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2011, 07:12 AM   #6
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I bought these for attaching my rear bumper:

http://shop.jeeptubes.com/product.sc...&categoryId=10

I made stand-offs out of short pieces of 2"X4" tube steel to go between my bumper and the mounting tabs. I welded those to the mounting tabs then bolted the plates to the frame, then I centered up my bumper on the Jeep, clamped it and tack welded it, then took it off to finish weld it.

Here is my rear bumper thread:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...-build-845584/

I didn't take any pictures of the process but you may get a better idea of how I did it by looking at the pictures.

I attached my front bumper by cutting up the stock front bumper to make mounting tabs from it. Since it bolts on differently then the rear you don't have to make stand-offs. Just weld them straight to the bumper. Or use your imagination and come up with your own way of doing it.

Post pics if you can...

johnboy68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2011, 09:58 AM   #7
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Make sure you get some frame tie ins for the rear, that thin crossmember back there isn't gonna be happy for long with a bumper and carrier and spare bouncing from it. As for mounting the rear, I took a piece of 2x4x3/16 and cut it in half lengthwise on the 4" side leaving basically two 2x2 c channels. I welded nuts on the inside of the channel and then welded the open side to the bumper and bolted it on from the front side of the crossmember going back.

The front, I made some tabs that welded flush with the top of the bumper and then on the bottom of the bumper (because I used 2x4). The tabs I made were similar to these.... http://troutindustries.easycgi.com/TIndustries/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=7&idcategory=3

I don't have any pictures right now, but could get some later if it would help.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.