motors for motor swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > motors for motor swap

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 02-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
y87j
1987 YJ Wrangler 

motors for motor swap

hey yall about that time to start getting things ready for my 87yj build.. my plan is to pull the 4.2L out and put a 4.0 in or something along the lines of fi... my main question is what motor will bolt up to my tf999 tranny that i just installed last summer ?? would like to stay with it and my np231 transfercase.. thanks jeepers

y87j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

pretty sure a 4.0 will bolt on as far as block to bellhousing pattern, but not sure which flex plate you'd have to use for it to work... someone who's more familiar can chime in on that.

Other than that, I think the 258 pattern is also same as the small block AMC V8's, but that rules out FI as far as I know... don't think the 304 or 360 ever came available with FI.

I THINK that's it for what most would consider "bolt-on"... next you'd be moving on to Advance Adapters or possibly Novak for an engine - trans adapter plate... then you could go with a Chevy 4.3, 5.0 or 5.7

another option if you're really looking to get rid of the 4.2... if you have documentation on your puchase of the new trans, sell off the trans and use that toward getting an engine/tranny/tc combo... if you want to keep with an auto trans, you could easily end up with an OD trans, gaining the additional benefits. Then you can go with a 4.0/AW4 from a Cherokee, a GM 4.3, 5.0 or 5.7 with 700r4 (or 4L60)

sure swaps aren't simple... but usually goes much smoother if you're keeping the whole powertrain together

Good luck
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.