Motorcraft tune - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Motorcraft tune

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer PurchaseFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 02-13-2013, 11:29 AM   #31
Beachcruiser
1987 YJ Wrangler 

You can also adjust the accelerator pump by varying the hole on the throttle arm in which the rod sits...and bending the rod, itself.

There should be no 'play' at the pump arm. It shouldn't be 'almost touching'...the pump arm should be under spring load (from the internal spring) and have the diaphram just slightly into its range of motion. This ensures a rapid pump shot as soon as you press the pedal.

That pump shot is the first thing you feel on throttle tip in, the power valve fillls in (on aggressive pedal action) after the acc. pump is done.

Unread 02-13-2013, 01:22 PM   #32
Jax89Jeeper
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcruiser
You can also adjust the accelerator pump by varying the hole on the throttle arm in which the rod sits...and bending the rod, itself.

There should be no 'play' at the pump arm. It shouldn't be 'almost touching'...the pump arm should be under spring load (from the internal spring) and have the diaphram just slightly into its range of motion. This ensures a rapid pump shot as soon as you press the pedal.

That pump shot is the first thing you feel on throttle tip in, the power valve fillls in (on aggressive pedal action) after the acc. pump is done.
Yes, changing the power valve should be done once the accel pump is eliminated from the equation.
Jax89Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 09:28 AM   #33
drespecki
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ51973 View Post
I am 18 in hg at idle with a 7.5 power valve. I have always thought my stumble to be lean. I feather the pedal a little and it takes off. It is much better then it was if you read through this thread. It doesn't exist in low range. I have the 6.5 power valve so maybe I will just stick it in there and see. Perhaps I am a little rich. If it gets worse then I will hunt up a 8.5 and try that.

Did you ever resolve the power valve problem/situation? I am in a similar situation and am looking for comparative fixes so I don't have to pull my carb off so many times..
Unread 09-24-2013, 03:06 PM   #34
CJ51973
1988 YJ Wrangler 

It did help. Almost perfect. So close I am not messing with it. I plan to remove the POs leaking header and put a cast exhaust manifold back on this winter maybe so I will what the new intake gasket does just in case it's leaking and I couldn't find it
Unread 09-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #35
drespecki
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ51973 View Post
It did help. Almost perfect. So close I am not messing with it. I plan to remove the POs leaking header and put a cast exhaust manifold back on this winter maybe so I will what the new intake gasket does just in case it's leaking and I couldn't find it

Did you go with the 6.5 pv and the 47 jets? Are you at sea level or?
Thanks..
Unread 09-25-2013, 05:09 PM   #36
CJ51973
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure what jets (it's been three years). But yes on the 6.5

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.