Motorcraft Carb Swap done - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Motorcraft Carb Swap done

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 05-13-2006, 01:26 PM   #1
Armytoad

Motorcraft Carb Swap done

I did the nutter bypass and just need to fine tune and finish taking various tubes and vac switches out. What other fine tunig hints are there out there? Do I really need to do the nutter bypass?

It just seems to be smoking a little as well as idling fine and then just dies. What do I need to do?

Armytoad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2006, 02:35 PM   #2
pyro9862

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armytoad
I did the nutter bypass and just need to fine tune and finish taking various tubes and vac switches out. What other fine tunig hints are there out there? Do I really need to do the nutter bypass?

It just seems to be smoking a little as well as idling fine and then just dies. What do I need to do?
When it dies does it choke and die, shut right off, how about starting it again?

Is the choke functioning properly?
Did you set the mixture?
Did you rebuild the carb? If you didn't perhaps it needs a rebuild. If you did are you sure you put it together correctly?
Perhaps the timeing needs to be ajusted.
Maybie you do need to disable the ECM, I don't think mine is disabled but I think it's the cause of a couple problems I'm having.
pyro9862 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2006, 09:37 PM   #3
Armytoad

It goes to a real low idle then dies. The carb is rebuilt (Got it from the guy on ebay so it should be). It seems to run ok with some sputter at high rpm then if I let off gas it just dies.
I have it hooked to a vacuum gauge to adjust the fuel mixture screws. Is there a better way?
Having a hard time seeing the exact timing marks so I am kind of timing by Vac gauge/sound.
The choke seems to be working fine. Closed when cold then opens all the way when it warms up.

I am thinking it goes back to a timing issue. I am also thinking of redoing the wiring an NOT doing the nutter bypass. I have heard both ways are fine but still unsure about it.

Wife wants to drive it and I am losing my patience.
Unread 05-13-2006, 09:41 PM   #4
lah2420
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Mark your timing marks with a little white or yellow paint. They show up like lights under the timing light.
lah2420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2006, 09:47 PM   #5
Armytoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by lah2420
Mark your timing marks with a little white or yellow paint. They show up like lights under the timing light.
Yeah I am just having a hard time seeing the top of the tab to see what mark is what number. I think there is an old mark but not sure.
Unread 05-14-2006, 12:46 AM   #6
pyro9862

If you got the whole $250 setup from the guy on eBay ask him. He seems to know a lot about these carbs and can probably give you some insite. That's what you paid the extra money for isn't it? Ther service of having the carb rebuilt, all the parts put in one box, and help with the installation.
pyro9862 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2006, 10:55 AM   #7
Yule16MET

ive said it before! Ask the guy! he is sooooo helpful its creepy. he will even install it for free if your near him
1990 YJ lerado,Soa,2.5R.E.springs,8.8,4.88'sPSC trail cage&rocker nockers w/sliderbars,home made bumpers, 35"boggers,sye, tomwoodsds, revolvers, red & yellow optima, bushwackers,corbeua ss seats,mc2100,juicebox, 3core rad., b&mshifter and highlift,5point harnesses,wheel spacers,9000lb mile marker,ssdash kit,no sway bar, no trackbar, walmart lights,clinometer, XJ passenger shaft, axle tube seals, M.O.R.E track bar

And a Monster Yellow CJ5
40x17's 12"lift full cage
Blackjeepclub #16
Armyjeepclub #16-#1
yellowjeepclub #BIG16
Yule16MET is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.