motorcraft carb swap! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > motorcraft carb swap!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 02-01-2010, 05:15 PM   #1
beachedjeepyj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

motorcraft carb swap!

Total cost ~90$
Used carb 50$
Oreilly auto parts mr gasket carb adapter P#1937 18$
Oreilly auto parts mr gasket 9" air cleaner P#1487 18$

Im about to start my swap and felt like documenting it along the way. I believe this is a 2150 and it seems to be in good condition just need to scrub it down a bit. Here is when i first got it.

The throttle linkage has been welded for some reason, the guy said it might have been for an automatic transmission.

Just a little bit dirty.

I should be finished around the end of the week if time permits. Help would be appreciated!

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/motorcraft-carb-swap-961766/[/url]

Last edited by beachedjeepyj; 02-01-2010 at 08:16 PM..
beachedjeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2010, 12:03 AM   #2
dillman88

Do you know what makes and models those carbs came from? I heard earlier fords....?
dillman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2010, 06:35 AM   #3
markr1001
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i got mine from 81 f150 with the 5L in it
markr1001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2010, 06:39 AM   #4
Scootermagoo
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I did the motorcraft 2150 swap on my 89 YJ, it was as easy as it gets and the difference was dramatic. It ran like a million bucks afterwards. They are a very easy carb to rebuild as well as tune, good luck.......
Scootermagoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2010, 08:31 PM   #5
beachedjeepyj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

OK so rebuild/clean. Pretty straight forward, just take everything apart and spray all passages with carb cleaner to clear them out. Then soak all parts that are not made of plastic. After that put it all back together and adjust float 9/16 inch from top of float bowl.
Pre soak image.

Then i found something interesting, my carb adapter doesnt seem to cover the whole base of the mc2150 and leaves a rectangular gap. I used the right part # suggested in other threads and am wondering what problems this may cause and how to fix it.

Unread 02-02-2010, 09:13 PM   #6
beachedjeepyj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Does anyone have the dimensions of the summit racing carb adapter. Also any one who used the mr gasket adapter run into any problems like this?

Unread 02-03-2010, 05:06 AM   #7
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Also the MC carbs are noted for being trail worthy as they take some pretty good angles. Your on the right track. The carter carb doesn't even make a good door stop, a paper weight maybe!!!
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2010, 07:19 AM   #8
jeep108
1990 YJ Wrangler 

hmmmm..... I used the mr gasket adapter and didn't have that issue but i believe mine is a 2100, was always told they were the same though. (the difference maybe that yours looks to be a "smog" carb which imo is good because it gives you more vac ports. At first look at you pic, i see the adapter plate is upside down, if you could flip it over to make sure the gap is going to fall in the same place, then if you take a pic like the one above then with the plate removed, my instict is that it won't hurt anything because you'll still have a good seal between the business parts of the carb and the intake. i think the part overhanging in the pic is just a void in the housing and shouldn't affect performance but again hopefully someone that has an actual 2150 can verify this. Also what size carb did you get? is it a 1.08? it should have a circle stamped on the side of the carb with numbers in the middle.

Eph 6:13 -Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground,

[QUOTE=Opihi59;14523519]Welcome to the forum.
If you are a mechanical neophyte and have to repetitively intone the mantra of "lefty loosey," are a mouth breather and only own a hammer, it will be more of a challenge. [/QUOTE]
jeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2010, 04:05 PM   #9
beachedjeepyj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

jeep108, ive been looking around forums and have found people running into this problem. Yes my carb has the 1.08 cast and the other numbers i saw were 6AB3 and 6FRA. Some of the other mc2100 with less vac lines have this part covered and leaving it exposed would cause a huge vacuum leak. The gap shows no matter which way the adapter is facing. I have found through another thread that you will need a carburetor base gasket to cover this gap so i went out and got one from autozone.

Autozone carburetor base gasket P#60716. Its a pretty thick gasket and seems to cover it nicely.

Unread 02-03-2010, 11:05 PM   #10
jeep108
1990 YJ Wrangler 

looks like it's all coming together, (btw, i hope i didn't come across as a jack @$$ by pointing out the plate was upside down, just wanted to make sure the gap would fall in the same place Had i paid a little more attention to your pic and noticed all the vac ports on the side with the gap, i'd of known better than to come up with the "just a void in the housing" theory.
You probably won't ever use it in Corpus but are you going with a manual choke or pull the electric off the carter?
Have you got your throttle linkage figured out?
On a different subject what is the height from ground to rocker panel? would you mind posting a pic of the front of your jeep?
hope you don't mind all the questions I just like to see what others come up with!

Eph 6:13 -Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground,

If you are a mechanical neophyte and have to repetitively intone the mantra of "lefty loosey," are a mouth breather and only own a hammer, it will be more of a challenge. [/QUOTE]
Unread 02-04-2010, 12:02 AM   #11
Alabamaranger
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Good find, 2150 with metering rods.
Unread 02-04-2010, 08:10 AM   #12
DSawyer
1990 YJ Wrangler 

So do you still need to get an adapter plate or just use the Autozone carburetor base gasket P#60716?
DSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2010, 08:32 AM   #13
jeep108
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSawyer View Post
So do you still need to get an adapter plate or just use the Autozone carburetor base gasket P#60716?
you still need the plate, if you look at his pic of the adapter plate you'll see the 4 inset holes, those are where the intake bolts will match up

Unread 02-04-2010, 08:57 AM   #14
DSawyer
1990 YJ Wrangler 

what is the adapter plate pn, and where to get it?
DSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2010, 11:56 AM   #15
jeep108
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSawyer View Post
what is the adapter plate pn, and where to get it?
the one i used is the same as the one beechedjeepzj used, mr. gasket part #1937, got my from the local orielly auto parts, but you can get them online as well.

Also i would like to apologize to beechedjeepzj for giving bad info - i stated earlier in this thread he had the adapter plate in the pic upside down, turns out i had my brain in upside down (which happens a lot more often these days!) i forgot the carb mounting bolts are inserted thru the plate upside down, so again - SORRY BEECHEDJEEPZJ!!!!!!!! i would also like to thank those of you that read my post and realized that i am a moron for not pointing it out!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.