Motorcraft Adapter Choices - Another Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Motorcraft Adapter Choices - Another Thread

FrEaKy FrIdAy SaLe!!!!NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 01-15-2014, 11:08 AM   #1
mark1305

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Motorcraft Adapter Choices - Another Thread

Let me qualify my question by saying that in the last three days I'm pretty sure I've read every posted comment about available adapters. And it has come down to the Mr Gasket p/n1937 mentioned the most, followed by the Transdapt model 2040 through Summit Racing, some limited production examples associated with Ebay kits, and even one apparently one-off that a guy had made in GA years ago.

The need:

After only two years on a rebuild of my nuttered Carter which had it running great, I'm now getting stumbling and misfiring at idle and just off-idle which is the throttle range anywhere in the neighborhood. After checking and ruling out vacuum leaks, recent spark plug change, checking the little jet screw thingies next to the venturies for blockage, etc., I've decided to try the MC 2150 I picked up for "just in case".

The actual question:

The big question is whether the Transdapt adapter is better than the Mr Gasket model? I have read some mild criticisms of the Mr Gasket. The Transdapt costs about twice as much. Is it worth it? In pictures, it looks to have a little more detail in the design and machining.

Money doesn't grow on trees for me, but I'm willing to throw down an extra $25 or so if it buys proportionately better quality.

What say ye that have swapped 2100/2150s onto the 4.2L motors?

mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 11:11 AM   #2
YJ4LIFE
1989 YJ Wrangler 

mr gasket is cast. It did the job. I have one if anyone wants to make an offer.
Unread 01-15-2014, 11:58 AM   #3
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i think the issue i have read is that you get little vacuum leaks form the mr gasket. i also remember something about if you smooth both mounting surfaces with sand paper on a flat surface, it fixes the trouble
Unread 01-15-2014, 02:06 PM   #4
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

The Trans dapt adapter will give you better results
It's a better design to allow for even ariflow into the throats of the stock intake manifold
And the mounting holes aren't slotted to give you that vacuum leak

JMO

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2014, 04:41 PM   #5
mark1305

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys. I like the look of the inside contour where the Transdapt piece transitions from the bigger carb size to the manifold opening enough I think I may spring the extra $$ for it.

On a brighter note, I don't have to rush the carb swap to keep the Jeep running. Just checked the "new" spark plugs and found #4 completely carboned up. I can just keep that one cleaned up while prepping for a carb swap. (and probably cylinder head overhaul if my suspicions of a bad valve guide are the source of my oil consumption).

Always something....
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2014, 11:58 AM   #6
sptrmike

1989 YJ Wrangler 

You will also want to put a gasket between the carb base and the fibre riser that goes on top of the adapter plate.
sptrmike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.