motorcraft 2100 swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > motorcraft 2100 swap

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 09-08-2005, 01:59 PM   #1
whyjay
1989 YJ Wrangler 

motorcraft 2100 swap

I've looked at quadratec for a new carburetor & they have about 6 different one youy can get. Which one will work on a IL6 - 258 ?
Motorcraft 2100 (2-460), (2-464), (ele\c2-465), ele\c2-462) ,(comp\ valve2-902)or the(comp\valve 2-919).
Please help me I need a carburetor bad & I 'm so confused.

whyjay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2005, 04:17 PM   #2
Varnish
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Based on this writeup, I'm using one with a 1.08 venturi, seems to work fine.

http://www.cjoffroad.com/writeup.asp?WU_ID=16&noAdd=1
Quote:
Motorcraft 2100 Carburetor – Sources: AMC 304 or Ford 302. Unfortunately Motorcraft does not stamp 2100 anywhere I can see on these carbs. The correct size will have “1.08” in a small circle cast on the drivers side of the carb body, somewhat obscured by the accelerator pump linkage. As difficult as this is to measure in the junkyard, the 1.08 is the size of the venturis (the barrels). I have been advised that #108 is 450 cfm, #114 520 cfm, and #121 575. Use the 1.08. This carburetor body is cast from two pieces, a top cover and a combination baseplate / venturi / float bowl. Apparently you can set / observe the float height by idling the motor with the top cover removed. The top cover has the word “Motorcraft” cast into it on the passenger side above the float bowl.
I'd highly recommend considering a used 2100 + rebuild kit which should be far cheaper than $250 that quadratec wants. I got a late 60s one off ebay for $35 + an $15 rebuild kit. After every adapter/hose was bought I had about $125 into it. My first rebuild ever and it was a piece of cake.
'99 XJ 4dr SE
Varnish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2005, 07:15 PM   #3
beaver24

I was going to do this swap too. I have a 2150 brand new, but I was wondering if it was worth the trouble. Is the improvement substantial, also did you have to re-jet it as I have read most people do. It seems fairly easy of a project I'm just on the fence about it.
Unread 09-08-2005, 11:48 PM   #4
Varnish
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I thought it was well worth it to eliminate all the spaghetti mess of vacuum hoses associated with the old air cleaner/carb. I was having that carter idle jet clog problem every few months as well which started me looking for an alternative. I'd do it again just because my engine is so simple now.
'99 XJ 4dr SE
Varnish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2005, 06:21 AM   #5
whyjay
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I hear you on that idle jet clogging problem . That's what has me ready to pay $250 to get it fixed. If I can go with the rebuild I 'll give it a try to save $150. As far as the vacuum line go the guy who owned it before me took care of a lot of them.
Thanks for the write up about identifying what I need. That should be a big help.
whyjay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.