Motorcraft 2100 carburator adjustment questions.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Motorcraft 2100 carburator adjustment questions....

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 08-06-2007, 12:34 PM   #1
RexSt-pierre
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Motorcraft 2100 carburator adjustment questions....

I just took my old barb off my 87 yj, i installed a new motorcraft 2100 on it instead.
I road 50 km with in no problem, then parked it to do other work on my jeep. After I was done the other work, i decided to fit my manual choke onto the new carb. When the choke was set up, i started the jeep and crazy amounts of gaz started coming out of the overflow. The jeep just flooded the crap out of itself while idleing. The i took the choke set up off, thinking thats what the problem was and started the jeep and it did the same. so now i just pluged the overflow to the gas return on my gas filter. The jeeps is still flooding itself like mad. It doesnt seem to do it when im pushing the throttle but when it iddles its a big problem.

What do I do, any help would be appreciated.

87 wrangler yj, 4.2l 6 banger, 8.8 back diff assembly, four disks, 4.10 gears, spring over axle, add two leafs, 6 inch suspension lift, 35 inch mud kings, heavy duty custom tire carrier, heavy duty custom push bumper, heavy duty nerf bars, aluminium rocker panels, 4 offroad 2 million amp fogs, custom diamond plate dash, custom stripper pole in back(no joke)
RexSt-pierre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2007, 12:52 PM   #2
atomicmoose
Just call me Moose

Where are your fuel mixture screws set at? Also, check your bowl float.
atomicmoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2007, 01:02 PM   #3
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like your float is stuck open, it is easy to get to just remove the air filter, remove the choke butterfly linkage remove the screws and you will find the needle valve under there.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2007, 01:16 PM   #4
RexSt-pierre
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, Ill Check Right Now
87 wrangler yj, 4.2l 6 banger, 8.8 back diff assembly, four disks, 4.10 gears, spring over axle, add two leafs, 6 inch suspension lift, 35 inch mud kings, heavy duty custom tire carrier, heavy duty custom push bumper, heavy duty nerf bars, aluminium rocker panels, 4 offroad 2 million amp fogs, custom diamond plate dash, custom stripper pole in back(no joke)
Unread 08-06-2007, 02:51 PM   #5
RexSt-pierre
1987 YJ Wrangler 

what should i set my fuel mixture screws at, i unscrewed them four turns from tight.

I unscrewed two floats, i cants see a visible needle under any of them.

my choke mechanism only seems to open the air flap at the top of the carb.

i rescrewed the float on top which closed when it runs. i left the flaot in the front of the carb, above the adjusting screws and under the overflow undone because gaz seems to be slowly dripping out. I figure i flooded it pretty bad, i will let it leak slowly.

What do I do next?
Unread 08-06-2007, 03:01 PM   #6
Varnish
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe this will help because I'm not sure what you mean by "floats".

Pic of the top of the carb removed and checking float level, the needle that controls the float bowl level is under the tab just above the white measure device in the photo. You can see the retaining wire, its below that.
'99 XJ 4dr SE
Varnish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2007, 03:35 PM   #7
RexSt-pierre
1987 YJ Wrangler 

what am i looking for when i unscrew the top off, i took apart the lever mechanism to the right under the little ruler. there was a seal and a spring under there.
Unread 08-06-2007, 03:46 PM   #8
Varnish
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The most obvious thing to look for with the top off would be a situation where the float is stuck down or the needle isn't seating and cutting off the fuel when the float is raised. The theory being that your fuel bowl is filling up. That being said, it can be kind of tricky to check because that float/needle assembly is very touchy - it could pop back down if its currently stuck up as you remove the top. I spent a long time troubleshooting the opposite problem as you when I had a sticky needle valve - the problem was every time I'd take off the top, the needle would unstick and look fine on inspection.

Its pretty easy to get that top off though and you could just take a look for anything out of the ordinary, like maybe that needle retaining wire missing or something.

You can actually run these carbs with the top off. I did it for a short period of time when trying to troubleshoot mine - not a comfortable situation because the gas does tend to squirt around a bit and fire is a definite possibility.

Here's a simplified graphic of how the needle/float setup works on these carbs.

I don't know what you'd be looking at if you took off that mechanical lever, I didn't have to mess w/that on mine and I'm far from a carb expert.
'99 XJ 4dr SE
Unread 08-06-2007, 03:47 PM   #9
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

under the tab at the far end of the float fulcrum (in ref to the pic)you will find a small brass weight with a rubber seal on the end.
This is the float valve, it controls the amount of fuel that can enter the float boal.
If the seal is bad or stuck it will allow unlimited fuel into the carb causing flooding as you described.
You can start the enfine with the top off of the motorcraft carb to observe the level of the fuel.
This may be risky though if you spill fuel due to unlimited supply there is a risk of fire.
You could disconect the coil so the motor dosen't start and crank the motor over to observe the max level it fills to or if it just keeps filling too much.

Dwayne
Unread 08-06-2007, 04:08 PM   #10
RexSt-pierre
1987 YJ Wrangler 

the level in the float compartment doesnt seem to be raising but i still have gas leaking from everywhere....this is really starting to p#$$ me off

it ran fine for 50 km, now its just F#$&ed
Unread 08-06-2007, 04:47 PM   #11
Varnish
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexSt-pierre
so now i just pluged the overflow to the gas return on my gas filter. The jeeps is still flooding itself like mad.
Wait a second, so you don't have a return line going back to the tank from your filter now? Thats the only place for the fuel to go when the needle shuts. Without it, I'd guess it would probably force its way into the bowl.

What work were you doing before the choke?
'99 XJ 4dr SE
Unread 08-06-2007, 04:55 PM   #12
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I didn't see that yes unblock the fuel return and see what is going on then.
Calm down we will get you there all will be ok.

Dwayne
Unread 08-06-2007, 04:56 PM   #13
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Does the float, umm, float? Remove it and put it in a small cup of gas. It may have a hole in it. The carb on the kids minibike did that. I warmed the float up and forced the gas out then soldered the hole shut.
Unread 08-06-2007, 06:18 PM   #14
RexSt-pierre
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i opened it up and poked at the float a little bit, the mechanism seemed to be workign right. I mean that the needle followed the float. Then i turned over the engine a little bit, with the distributor unplugged so i wouldnt blow myself up. Gaz was spitting up that needle real hard, spraying up in the air. The i closed everything up and started the thing up. ITs running fine. I adjusted it, the fuel screws at the front buttom on the carb are at 1.5 turns( a lot of fuel i think). So that i can turn my idle screw right down. then i messed with the idle screw until it ran at 1500 rpm? does that sound good? i checked again and again, there is no gas leak.
Unread 08-06-2007, 06:20 PM   #15
RexSt-pierre
1987 YJ Wrangler 

oh yeah, and i put the fuel return from my filter straight back to the gas tank.

the overflow from my carb is pointing to the ground

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.