MotorCraft 2100 adjustment - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > MotorCraft 2100 adjustment

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-22-2006, 09:45 PM   #1
howellru

MotorCraft 2100 adjustment

I recently bought an 89 YJ 4.2L with the popular motorcraft carb conversion. The set up seems simple enough, but I can't seem to get fuel flow and idle ratio right. Runs decent, not great, when cold & choke is on, but once warmed up it sputters and stalls like dickens, especially when idling and at stop sign. Have to put in neutral to prevent.

Anyone offer or know where I can find instructions on properly setting for fuel flow screws and idle? Currently, the fuel flow screws are about two full turns out from fully closed and idle in park is aobut 800 RPM.

OMT, once the engine is warmed up and I notice strong waves of fuel odor in cabin if I run windows down; especially on highway. Makes me dizzy

It's not much of a close up, but here's a pic link http://s128.photobucket.com/albums/p...rent=My4-2.jpg

'89 YJ Wrangler, 4.2L, MC2100 Nutted Carburator
howellru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2006, 10:11 PM   #2
volcom3375

i also get the strong smell of fuel when driving, not to say that it's common with motorcrafts but if you ever get the fix for that well, i'd like to know too :P
volcom3375 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2006, 10:57 PM   #3
howellru

Trust me, I'll be sure to pass along any solutions.

Unread 11-23-2006, 08:20 AM   #4
dbguync

Try this link. This is how I tuned mine using a vacuum gauge

http://www.greatcj8.com/mc2100.htm
Unread 11-23-2006, 08:23 AM   #5
dbguync

Well, you have the curb idle adjusting screw on the driver's side,
the fast idle adjusting screw on the passenger side, the choke adjustment
(by spinning choke housing to give it more or less spring tension),
and the two idle adjustment screws on the bottom front.

Make sure your choke is opening, because that would make it run real rich.
Adjust the idle adjustment screws with a tach to get the highest RPM's on the lean side.
Set the curb idle for about 650 to 750 depending on your tranny.
There's a mark on the stepped cam of the fast idle linkage you line that screw up with when the choke is closed.

Kinda hard to explain in writing. Best bet would be to get a shop manual or go in Pep Boys or somewhere and "browse" a little. Remember, you'll be best looking in a Ford manual.

Find a MANIFOLD vacuum source and hook your vacuum gauge to that, If you dont have a vacuum gauge.....get one!
After the engine is warm, turn it off and find the "mixture screws" 1 per barrel underneath the fuel bowl. Turn the screws all the way in, but be gentle (you could damage them).
Then turn them out 2 full turns be sure that they are equal.

Start the engine and set the curb idle by adjusting the screw on the throttle arm.

Now adjust the 2 "mixture screws" together in or out to obtain the highest vacuum reading.
You may need to readjust the curb idle screw during this to obtain the correct rpm.
Any questions do a search on www.Jeepsunlimited.com in the CJ Tech section for mc2100 tuning

Back to GreatCJ8.com
Unread 11-23-2006, 09:20 AM   #6
howellru

Here are some pics of my carb. Where exactly are the fast idle and curb idle screws?

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...ft_Carb_01.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...ft_Carb_02.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...ft_Carb_03.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...ft_Carb_04.jpg

Unread 11-23-2006, 09:59 AM   #7
lah2420
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The curb idle screw is right under the point your accelerator rod attaches on the driver's side.
The fast idle is behind and below the choke assembly on the passenger side. It only adjusts idle when the choke is on.
The idle mixture screws are on the front of the carb right above the mounting plate.
As stated above, get a vacuum gauge and set it as outlined. Wait several seconds between each adjustment.
One thing I ran into on mine was that the EGR valve didn't have a gasket, causing a major vacuum leak that messed up setting the idle. I refuse to say what happened to the EGR valve.
Another thing I had to do was throw away the book setting the ignition timing. Set it to 8 to 10 degrees before TDC at idle. The book says to set it at 1600 rpm.
Also, if it hasn't been done, research and do the nutter bypass if possible.
Those last three things together fixed bad idle, poor fuel mileage, and rich smell on mine. It runs better now than any time since I bought it 5 years ago.
lah2420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2006, 11:12 PM   #8
howellru

For the last week, been running idle in park @ 900 rpm, in gear @ 750 rpm. Caused occassional stalls at long red lights unless I put in neutral.

This morning, adjusted fuel mixture screws a bit and sped up idle in park to just above 1,000, idle in gear to about 900. Still sputtering, but no stalls. Now a little dieseling and overpowering fuel odor when exiting after 30 minute drive. I'm pulling my hair out trying to illiminate sputter and get smooth idle.

Also, noticed the choke plate is always wide open whether first cranked on cold morning or after driving for over an hour.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...ft_Carb_01.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...ft_Carb_02.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...ft_Carb_03.jpg

This is my first carb vehicle and, as you may have figured out, I don't know squat about them, but could that be part of my problem? If so, how would I correct it.

Alot of members suggested vacuum leak, but I haven't a clue how to track one down. Anyone know where I can get "Carbs Adjustment and Vacuum Leaks for Idiots" type instructions. Pictures a plus... no, a must.

Unread 01-30-2010, 04:17 PM   #9
anklenawer
1991 YJ Wrangler 

did you ever figure this out - im having the same problem.
anklenawer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2011, 10:34 PM   #10
cagaito
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Both of ur, figured out th problem? im stock with mine and this th only thread close to mine issue.
cagaito is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2011, 01:17 AM   #11
anklenawer
1991 YJ Wrangler 

yes, i t was a while ago man - but i found out that it was the bad distributor... the guy i baught it off of said he replaced it - come to find out - he was an idiot and replaced the ROTOR.

anyway- so i spent 65 bucks or whatever and timed it with a new distributor, bang - ran/idled fine. i went crazy after that motocraft, and i think it was fine the whole time - that was a while ago - now I'm in hawaii with a 95 yj ( fuel injected) aha a loving life - but about to be in VA with a CJ if i can find one for a decent price

thanks guys - keep waving
anklenawer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2011, 07:54 AM   #12
buckshot500
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The fuel odor may be coming from the 90 degree connector for the rollover valve.

This valve is located inside the fender at the passenger rear corner of the tub.

There is a plastic cover panel that can be pulled down to open the void. Inside you'll see a plastic valve that looks a little like a fuel filter. There is a rubber elbow that gets dry rotted and will leak.

This elbow is available from dealers and is about $30.00, or it was a few years ago.

90YJ98XJ
buckshot500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.