Motor Time! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Motor Time!

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBestop underseat lock boxes @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!

Unread 05-20-2005, 09:29 AM   #1
YJBlues
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Motor Time!

It's friday morning, this is the weekend that my brother and myself will be putting the engine into the 91 YJ Islander. The 4.0 donor motor is from a 95 Cherokee that lost an argument with inertia. As best we can tell, this motor has less than 20k miles on it, even the freeze plugs are rust free, which in cleveland is a very good sign of low miles, road salt is rough. The YJ came with a 4.0 so I don't forsee any real trouble with the swap. I went and got a new clutch kit for it, not entirely sure I "had" to, but it will be apart, might as well. Going to replace main seal, pan and valve cover gaskets beforehand as well. I'm very excited, tons of body work to do afterward, but this is the big one, the heart transplant if you will.

Now on to my question, is there anything else I should consider replacing/checking/praying over while shaking shiney beads, during this swap? Any considerations I'm not aware of to putting a 95 cherokee motor(auto trans) into a 91 YJ (AX15)? Any advice in general for this swap that we might not have covered/considered would be appreciated.

YJBlues is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2005, 07:33 PM   #2
lostboy

You have a 91 so i assme that is Fuel Injection. Is it Throttle Body Injection or does it have MPFI like the 95? Reason I ask is that the fuel pumps could be different.
Unread 05-21-2005, 06:17 AM   #3
YJBlues
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Both engines are the 4.0 HO MPI I6. The biggest difference is that the replacement engine was connected to an auto trans, and my YJ is the 5-speed AX-15. I'm just trying to avoid running into assembly problems, hopefully flywheel/pilot bearing/transmission will all transfer easily. I've done numerous searches and research and have no reason to believe they won't, but since this is my first jeep, I figured to ask the experts . Like everything else, the job is in the prep
Unread 05-22-2005, 06:25 AM   #4
YJBlues
1991 YJ Wrangler 

after noting a difference in cranks we did some measuring... the boneyard motor has a 4.2 crank in it, making it a stroker! Guess it's time to start hunting for a new rear, the D35 with 200k+ miles on it probly won't handle it for long. lol
Unread 09-14-2011, 04:29 PM   #5
projectsahara11
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I agree with you. Upgrade now while you're building everything else. If you're going to fix it do it right the first time to eliminate future headaches.
projectsahara11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2011, 04:34 PM   #6
goldeaglejeep
1990 YJ Wrangler 

goldeaglejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.