Motor shifted in wreck, new motor mount not lining up - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Motor shifted in wreck, new motor mount not lining up

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 10-05-2013, 09:38 PM   #16
93jeepREDSOX
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ok thats what i figured, yea it just needs to move about an inch, maybe an inch and a half.

1993 YJ 4" RE lift, 1/2" shackles, AA SYE Kit, 33x12.50 Trxus M/T, Warn bumbers front and rear, Warn M8000 winch, 4 Hella fog lights, Magnaflow cat, flowmaster muffler with no tailpipe, herced tub, tj flares

HOW BOUT THEM REDSOX

My Rigrator score 535RRv1.0 BOA 25
93jeepREDSOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2013, 09:51 PM   #17
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

With only 3 mount points for the entire engine/transmission assy, having one mount secure, one missing, and one loose, any rear movement will pull the assy to the rear and swing the un fastened motor slightly more than the actual amount the assy moves rear. It will move in an arc rather than straight back.
Unread 10-05-2013, 09:53 PM   #18
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

I just saw you are in Garner. I bought my comealong at Agri-Supply there about 30 years ago.
Unread 10-05-2013, 10:30 PM   #19
93jeepREDSOX
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yea and they are closed tomorrow, so i am gonna try it with a ratchet and see what happens, if that doesnt work, then i will have to stop by Agri or walmart during the week. Thinking more about the way you suggest makes a lot of sense, and i could move the engine by hand a little but not enough to line things up. I knew there had to be a way to rotate it a bit to line things up.
1993 YJ 4" RE lift, 1/2" shackles, AA SYE Kit, 33x12.50 Trxus M/T, Warn bumbers front and rear, Warn M8000 winch, 4 Hella fog lights, Magnaflow cat, flowmaster muffler with no tailpipe, herced tub, tj flares

HOW BOUT THEM REDSOX

Unread 10-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #20
93jeepREDSOX
1993 YJ Wrangler 

So i tried the ratchet strap, it was working until it broke, kinda should have expected that. So now its only about half an inch away from lining up. So once i get a come-along kind of winch, i think i can get it into place. I also forgot to remove the fan shroud and the fan was hitting that so i think that is hindering movement a little too.

HOW BOUT THEM REDSOX

Unread 10-07-2013, 07:08 AM   #21
HaskiE
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93jeepREDSOX View Post
So i tried the ratchet strap, it was working until it broke, kinda should have expected that. So now its only about half an inch away from lining up. So once i get a come-along kind of winch, i think i can get it into place. I also forgot to remove the fan shroud and the fan was hitting that so i think that is hindering movement a little too.
it broke! damn! let's see some pics of the come-along when you get it
#theneverendingaxe
HaskiE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 11:40 AM   #22
93jeepREDSOX
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well I was using a really small ratchet strap, I may try a larger one and remove the fan shroud before I by one, cause I'm broke, haha.

HOW BOUT THEM REDSOX

Unread 10-08-2013, 07:47 AM   #23
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaskiE View Post
awesome, that's good news!

another point to loosen would be the tranny mount on the belly plate - with no ratchet straps or come-along,etc, you'll want to have everything loose so you can move it by hand - maybe disconnect the driveshafts too
If the MM broke then the only thing keeping it from going all the way through the radiator was the tranny mounts. Check them all.
You don't want to ratchet the engine into place! If it doesn't fit on it's own there has got to be a reason and forcing it is just begging for something else to self destruct more sooner than later.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #24
93jeepREDSOX
1993 YJ Wrangler 

That is possible, and I may need a new tranny mount after I get the engine back in place, but everything looked and felt good, no extra movement but it is something I will keep my eye on. Right now I just want to get the motor bolted into place

HOW BOUT THEM REDSOX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.