Motor Oil 101? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Motor Oil 101?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 10-28-2013, 04:01 PM   #16
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
Don`t believe everything you read on the internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelgoesrawr View Post
Care to elaborate?
What would be the point? We're still on the internet.

bpounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 04:12 PM   #17
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Seriously, don't let the oil topic bury you. Some grades may be slightly better than others for a 4.2/4.0, but as long as you are in the ballpark there aren't any really bad choices. And living in CA, even in the high desert where you are, it isn't cold enough to worry about oil choices.

I didn't read your link above from BITOG, but anyone saying 10W oil is too thick to start a cold gas engine is just silly.

You can get Rotella 15W/40 in gallon jugs for a decent price over at the Pilot truck stop near you.
Unread 10-28-2013, 04:51 PM   #18
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I've been running 10-30 all along, but his points about thick oil makes sense to me. So that's why I was curious.
Unread 10-28-2013, 04:54 PM   #19
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

The article on Wikipedia on multi-viz oils is really good. Does a good job of explaining how they make oil flow freely in cold temps. It's been my experience that few average persons understand what the xxW/yy really means.
Unread 10-28-2013, 05:19 PM   #20
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpounds
The article on Wikipedia on multi-viz oils is really good. Does a good job of explaining how they make oil flow freely in cold temps. It's been my experience that few average persons understand what the xxW/yy really means.
I'll read it. The website I posted explains the xxW-yy. I got it the best I could for how long it was. Ha
Unread 10-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #21
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpounds View Post
This is very true. BITOG while certainty a wealth of information sometimes misses the mark.

I figure that as long as you stick to the OEM spec lubricant it is pretty hard to go wrong. The OEM`s know a little bit more then some internet author suddenly claiming we have been doing it all wrong for the past century.

Having been in the industry long enough to understand and experience OEM durability testing and familiar enough with lubricating oils to understand how they are graded, formulated and refined I`ll run my choice which might not be yours.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.