Motor Mount Install Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Motor Mount Install Question

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 04-15-2010, 10:06 PM   #1
Lonan
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Motor Mount Install Question

I searched and no one seems to be quite as inept as I am at swapping motor mounts. I have a new set from QTec. They are the correct part. I jacked the engine up under the oil pan skid plate with a 2x4 padding the jack. Driver's side first. Everything came off slick as could be. Compared the old to the new mount and they matched. The problem is that I could not get the new MM to line up properly. If the through bolt was in, then the frame bolt wouldn't align and drop in. If I set the MM against the frame, I could never get the through bolt through all the way. I raised and lowered the engine slightly, loosened the MM bracket that attaches to the block a little and tried but still couldn't get everything to line up and bolt in. After an hour I put the old broken mount back in. The Jeep won this round! I have no doubt someone here has the trick I need to beat this thing. Thanks.

Lonan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2010, 10:23 PM   #2
Gobi_Gred
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I have always loosened both sides at once. I leave everything loose until all the nuts are on. I think your problems were from the engine pivoting on the other motor mount.
Gobi_Gred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2010, 10:33 PM   #3
Lonan
1990 YJ Wrangler 

That makes sense. After jacking the engine up, it was positioned like it was twisting slightly. I lost the wrestling match trying to un-torque it. Probably because it was anchored on one side. Thanks!
Unread 04-15-2010, 10:58 PM   #4
tbburg
2000 XJ Cherokee 

If you have broken engine mounts, you might want to replace your trans mount while you're wrenching under there. It's probably toasted too.
Unread 04-16-2010, 12:06 AM   #5
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Speaking of Tranny/TC mounts... they need to be loose too, in order to help get the MMs to line up.

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2010, 12:23 AM   #6
K4KAS
1994 YJ Wrangler 

RockWorm hit it! You need to loosen tranny mounts as well as both MM to change them and give you enough play to get the bolt to go through. Might as well change the trans mount too. As tbburg said, if one of the MM were toast, the tranny mount is probably toast as well.
K4KAS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2010, 09:54 AM   #7
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Engine mounts/lifts are quick & easy job.

Either way, here are the highlights of motor mount replacement.

1) Loosen the tranny mount bolts at the center of the skid plate. When the job is completed, this will allow it to sit in a "natural" state without putting unnecessary tension on the mounts.
2) Loosen, but do not remove both of the large center bolts that pass through the engine mounts & the brackets on the engine.
3) Remove the bolt & nut (on the stud) that attach the motor mount to the frame.
4) Support the oil pan with a chunk of 2X6 & a floor jack with a small amount of tension, enough to where the mounts just begin to lift off of the frame.
5) Remove the bolts that attach the motor mount brackets to the engine block on just one side only!

Remove that mount & bracket as a unit & change the mount on the workbench & reinstall it as a unit.

6) Tighten the bolts that hold the bracket to the engine to specification.
7) Repeat steps 5 & 6 for the other side. Lower the engine weight back onto the new mounts.
8) Install & tighten the bolt & the nut on the motor mount to frame attachment point. Then tighten the large bolt that runs through the center of the mount.
9) Tighten the 2 tranny mount bolts on the skid plate.

If it took longer than 1-1/2 hours you were screwing off.

Poly mounts last longer.
Poly mounts transmit more engine vibration through the frame.

You decide. We have 2 YJs at our house, both with poly mounts & I never noticed any difference myself.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2010, 05:07 PM   #8
Lonan
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Well Max you've given me the motivation to have at it again, since I tried earlier today prior to reading your post and failed. I didn't loosen the Tranny Mount Bolts and I'm hoping that was my issue. I loosened both sides and each side came out very easily. My problem seems to be that the new mounts just don't fit in properly. I managed to get one new mount installed on the pssgr side and then was able to get the old good pssgr side mount to fit in the driver side spot. I actually think the QTec mounts are not spec. I wrestled with one new mount and it wouldn't fit on either side. The other new one fit just fine. I never give up, so tomorrow I'll get some local MMs and follow Max's directions and hopefully get everything done correctly. Last step would be to ship the QTec mounts back as well. Thanks everyone for your help. So far I'm only 4 1/2 hours into completing this 1 1/2 hour job
Unread 04-16-2010, 05:23 PM   #9
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I was going to come in here and tell ya all I know about motor mounts, seeing as I just replaced mine recently... But Max strikes again!

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2010, 08:16 AM   #10
Lonan
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I got new OEM motor mounts at AdvanceAuto and following Max's directions they dropped right in. It was a 30 minute job to swap them out. When I compared the Quadratec motor mounts to the OEM AdvanceAuto ones, the distance between the bolt in the MM and the hole in the MM that mount to the frame was 1/4 inch greater, hence a reason I couldn't get them to drop in.
Again, you guys are the best! Thanks.

Last edited by Lonan; 04-19-2010 at 08:33 AM..
Unread 04-10-2011, 06:43 PM   #11
relgnarw
2002 TJ Wrangler 

This is exactly what the search function is for. I'm going to replace my motor mounts tomorrow and wanted a little guidance before I started. Although I have a TJ I think it's pretty much the same. Thanks guys.
relgnarw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2011, 10:47 AM   #12
GRYDE001
2008 JK Wrangler 

Little bit a an old thread bump......

is the oil pan sturdy enough to support the entire motor? I just don't want to dent the pan. Has everyone been just doing this with no issues?
Unread 05-27-2011, 11:19 AM   #13
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I've always used the oil pan on my jeep to support the motor when changing mounts. I also always have a piece of wood in between. I've never had an issue as long as you don't try to jack the motor up too high. Just get it high enough to take the weight off the bolts.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2011, 11:29 AM   #14
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonan View Post
The Jeep won this round!
Never, ever let a vehicle beat you!

That's the first rule of wrenching.
It's just a machine.
Man built it, man can fix it!

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2011, 01:48 PM   #15
ryans93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Check for forward and aft movement. When I replaced mine I realized my engine and transmission had settled an inch or so behind where it should have been. It meant the use of a pry bar to move it forward until I could get the bolts in.

1993 YJ 4.0L 5spd Manual. OME 2.5" with 3/4" M.O.R.E Shackles & 1"BL
Not to mention the body doesn't match the frame that doesn't match the engine...
ryans93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.