Motive Gears? Any thoughts? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Motive Gears? Any thoughts?

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-20-2010, 02:23 PM   #1
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Motive Gears? Any thoughts?

While searching for some gears for my Waggy 44's I came across these on eBay for $135.77 shipped.

Does anyone have some input on the quality of Motive Gears?

It looks like a really good price and I really don't want to be a guinea pig and cheap out on gears, but that is one hell of a deal for some 5.13's.

Dana 44 Ring Gears 4.56 4.89 5.13 Jeep Dodge Ram Mopar : eBay Motors (item 360261148542 end time Jun-08-10 21:51:32 PDT)

Last edited by Area.3.Fiftyone; 05-20-2010 at 02:36 PM..
Area.3.Fiftyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2010, 02:32 PM   #2
HARLEYX2
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Look at Complete offroad and you can get Yukons for about the same price or less.
HARLEYX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2010, 02:36 PM   #3
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

I checked their site and the cheapest they have is $159.00 for a no-name set and Yukons are $195.00 plus shipping.

Those are substantially higher prices IMO.

The guy on eBay has 13722 ratings and 99.5% positive feedback. Clearly they have been around for a while and are selling good parts with that kind of feedback.
Unread 05-20-2010, 06:27 PM   #4
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I bought motive 4.88s. unfortunately the guy who was going to set them up for me, got really sick. So I haven't run them yet. The guy at Northridge 4x4 told me that he bought gears from every possible company he could buy. He opened them up and they all had the exact same factory stamps on them.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2010, 09:54 PM   #5
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=IronMaiden;

The guy on eBay has 13722 ratings and 99.5% positive feedback. Clearly they have been around for a while and are selling good parts with that kind of feedback.[/QUOTE

Does Ebay even show neg feedback???

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2010, 07:58 AM   #6
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Hey brother I have motive gear r&p in the back of my jeep tucked away into a ford 9"... I havn't had an issue at all with them making noise and/or breaking lol. From personal experience around the track and such, Richmond is probably the best for quality and strength but thosemotive gears will suit your rig just fine. I've seen motive gears hold up to mud trucks running hill in the hole here at the Orlando mud runs with nitrous and I'll tell you the rear ends arnt usually the first to go lol.

Anyway I get long winded, that is a great deal on those gears, it's a solid company and I've had many experiences with them and Richmond Gears. Just don't forget the motive gears have a strict break in period because when first installed they get pretty hot so that the gears soften and allow your wear pattern to take hold, after a brief break in period you will be good to go!
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2010, 08:39 AM   #7
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

have you ever seen anyone that bought cheap gears complain of them exploding and causing kittens and children to die? gears are gears imo. have a shop get and install them so they will warrenty thier work if your worried about it. i have never seen a complaint of a high failure from any set of gears in my life. if they go out fast i would bet they were set up improperly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2010, 09:15 AM   #8
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

^^^ I could easily agree to that, well said.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2010, 09:22 AM   #9
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy View Post
have you ever seen anyone that bought cheap gears complain of them exploding and causing kittens and children to die? gears are gears imo. have a shop get and install them so they will warrenty thier work if your worried about it. i have never seen a complaint of a high failure from any set of gears in my life. if they go out fast i would bet they were set up improperly.
And if they break it's only $150 in parts!!!

(And $500 in labor )
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2010, 12:58 PM   #10
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

I won't be paying any shop to install ANYTHING on my rig.......

There is nothing I can't do myself.

Considering nobody has chimed in saying that they were no good, I'll assume that they are just as good as any other brand and go for it.

I just didn't want to buy them and then find out that they had a history of failure.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.