MOST but not all dash lights out - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > MOST but not all dash lights out

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!

Unread 04-05-2010, 07:33 PM   #1
geusey
1992 YJ Wrangler 

MOST but not all dash lights out

Well, if you've seen some of my previous posts, you know that I'm not an electrical wiz (which sometimes makes owning a yj a living nightmare), so this is really weirding me out. When I turn on my headlights, the dash lights for the rpm gauge and the temp and oil pressure gauge come on, but thats all the dash lights that come on. Also, the turn signal indicators, brake warning light, and the rest on that top row of warning lights DO NOT come on. The check engine light and everything else on the bottom row of warning lights DO work.
I checked the fuses, and they are all fine (every fuse in that jeep is fine, trust me). I checked the bulbs inside the dash and they all seem fine. I really have no idea what to look for. any clue what this might be?
This is a 92 4.0

Unread 04-05-2010, 07:51 PM   #2
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If you are getting power to the switch, then I would think you are fine up to there. The problem would have to be somewhere between the switch and the tachs.
moonshinefuel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2010, 08:10 PM   #3
geusey
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshinefuel View Post
If you are getting power to the switch, then I would think you are fine up to there. The problem would have to be somewhere between the switch and the tachs.
Yeah, thats partly what is so aggravating. I know the problem has to be somewhere past the switch, and since some of the lights come on, then I know that power is getting to the gauge clusters. Could the light bulbs be on the same circut? as in, if one goes out, all the ones after it on the circut go out? like christmas lights? its a stretch, i know...
Unread 04-05-2010, 09:22 PM   #4
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

the bulbs get their contact/power from the back of the printed circut ribbon. They sometimes stop making contact and need to be "erased"... meaning take an eraser and erase where the bulb holders touch... and then shine up the holder connections themselves...

See if that helps you "see the light"

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2010, 09:29 PM   #5
geusey
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark05059 View Post
the bulbs get their contact/power from the back of the printed circut ribbon. They sometimes stop making contact and need to be "erased"... meaning take an eraser and erase where the bulb holders touch... and then shine up the holder connections themselves...

See if that helps you "see the light"
Ok, i'll give it a shot Thanks!
Unread 04-05-2010, 09:48 PM   #6
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Also check the connectors at the bottom of that plastic mount. IIRC, the top gets power from one side and the bottom gets power from the other.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2010, 09:56 PM   #7
Sparkfly88
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I just recently re did that plastic thing behing the gauge cluster..

The copper "wire" leading to my clock was fried, so I had to put a legit wire in its place.
That wire was keeping all except two lights from turning on.

I used 1000 grit wet/dry paper if i remember right, sanded all the bulb contacts...sanded where the bulb contact the copper on the plastic, and sanded all the contacts that the connector plugs into.

Worked like a charm.
Sparkfly88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2010, 10:05 PM   #8
bharris68
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Read through here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/r...er-how-991307/ let me know if that helps
bharris68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2010, 11:45 PM   #9
geusey
1992 YJ Wrangler 

well, i took it all apart and went through all the connections much more thoroughly.
I cleaned up and polished as much as I could find, and found a couple dead and missing bulbs (how? Where did they go? who would just take them out and not replace them?), and got all the lights on gauge cluster in the center, towards the passenger seat containing the 4wd lights, fuel, oil, temp, and volt gauges working. The problem is now just in the main gauge cluster above the steering wheel. The speedometer is now the only gauge that still doesn't illuminate, and the top row of warning lights do not work.
What I found when inspecting the plastic circuit board was heavy corrosion on the copper in the circuit board leading to the speedometer and upper row of warning lights. Anyone know how to repair something like this? Or where to get a replacement, and how much it might cost?
Unread 04-06-2010, 12:04 AM   #10
kbrawlz
1995 YJ Wrangler 

yeah, this happened to mine after sitting for 6 months and staying humid inside. i took the ribbons all the way off and scraped the corrosion clean and had to repair a section using copper stuff for soldering stained glass, adhesive on one side. i cut a little section and soldered it on and sealed it. i might be able find you an new one in a wrecking yard and send it to you.
Unread 04-06-2010, 12:13 AM   #11
geusey
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrawlz View Post
yeah, this happened to mine after sitting for 6 months and staying humid inside. i took the ribbons all the way off and scraped the corrosion clean and had to repair a section using copper stuff for soldering stained glass, adhesive on one side. i cut a little section and soldered it on and sealed it. i might be able find you an new one in a wrecking yard and send it to you.
Yeah, this jeep ended up sitting around for almost a year, including a rainy Oregon winter. I really think the circuit board is shot. I'm considering maybe taking this opportunity to upgrade and put in new speedo and tach gauges that don't use the stock circuit board, but if you can find me a new one and send it, pm me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.