Most Bang for Buck-Lights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Most Bang for Buck-Lights

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 12-04-2014, 11:48 PM   #1
Hoytenator
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Most Bang for Buck-Lights

Still new to jeep life. Have spent some $$$ on getting 94 YJ road worthy for me and the family. Need to slow the pace on the outbound cash, as I save for bigger ticket items, tranny, paint, etc. However I want some additional lights for off roading. What is best entry level light selection for providing some additional light for off roading....without blowing up the bank ?

Hoytenator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2014, 12:30 AM   #2
Norcal_chris

1995 YJ Wrangler 

ebay or amazon.com led bars. You can get them for under 100 . Take your pic on size and go for it
Unread 12-05-2014, 06:43 AM   #3
TCazes
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Offroadadditions.com
TCazes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2014, 08:45 AM   #4
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Eyourlife led bar from amazon. A fraction of the cost of name brand. If it fails try to negotiate a replacement with the company, but be ready to throw it in the trash can... these have excellent reviews for looks, light quality, and durability though!
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2014, 09:35 AM   #5
langwilliams
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I was just thinking the same thing.....there are some cree an others at low prices on ebay but wasn't sure if it would be throwing away money.
langwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2014, 09:59 AM   #6
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I like a mix of HID and LED
They really compliment each other. In the desert, LED's alone don't reach far enough for my liking.
The HID's do though.
But the HID's aren't as good as the LED's up close.

We only wheel at night here during the summer because of the heat, and this time of year it gets dark so early...

The important thing for longevity is to turn them on and leave em on. Turning HID's on and off while hot will shorten the life.
It's also not good for LED

These are the HID's I have
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/el...=related-right

The LED's were about $175
There are cheaper, but I wanted cree's
So for two quality ARB switches, two relays and the lights was about $525
That's for A LOT OF LIGHT.

Unread 12-05-2014, 10:12 AM   #7
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Are there companies other than Cree that make the actual bright LEDs? if so, how do you know they are actually Cree brand? It could be like the capacitor plague when all those panasonic capacitors turned out to be fake even in legitimate electronics.

I'd say the main advantage of buying a brand name light bar like Rigid etc (I assume they all have cree LEDs), is that they will probably just repair or replace it for you for free if you are ever unhappy. You also probably don't hear of DOA LEDs on a Rigid bar because they very likely test them all before they leave the factory and maybe even again at the distributor. You won't get that with a bargain brand.

Also, when choosing brand name vs knockoff, remember: If it is mission critical, price doesn't matter. Don't buy a knockoff if your life will depend on your light working. For most of us failure is just an inconvenience (headlights are backups to drive out of the woods at a slower speed). Don't use Eyourlife brand bar as a work light if your job is to climb to the top of the statue of liberty to clean the arm pits.

I bought the cheap one because I don't really like the looks of the LED light bars on our YJ so I'm still on the fence about whether I want to keep it. I like the old fashioned giant circle lights across the top. The LED bar that I bought was cheaper and far brighter though, so I guess I'll have to learn to like it.
Unread 12-05-2014, 10:40 AM   #8
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

^
There is a chart somewhere (I used to have it) where you can compare the diffrent kinds of LED's.
Lights are pretty crucial to me but not for fifteen hundred bucks. I'll strap a flashlight to the hood first.

I think about it this way, the light has been on for 2 years so far, and I use them A LOT!
If they burn out next week I'll order another one.
Unread 12-07-2014, 02:00 AM   #9
Hoytenator
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I appreciate all the feedback. I wil post pics of light upgrade when complete.
Hoytenator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2014, 07:26 AM   #10
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Aircraft landing lights. Search on here
Unread 12-07-2014, 01:09 PM   #11
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Real aircraft landing lights use high voltage and would be expensive and inefficient for use on a Jeep.
(over 30 volts and 1500 watts)

It can be done, but I wouldn't call it bang for the buck.

Bang for the buck, and lumens per amp, HID is still king, even though LED's are improving.

I wanted aircraft lights like those found on commercial jets. The price and power demands quickly settled that.
Unread 12-07-2014, 01:37 PM   #12
rcAirForceOne
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike134 View Post
Are there companies other than Cree that make the actual bright LEDs?
Cree is based off of USA design. Most of the China made lights, which is truthfully damn near all of them, advertise as being "Cree" LEDs but may not actually have Cree LED or Cree technology built into them. The cost has come down so far on the China stuff that it makes the Rigid stuff look as though it's priced at quadruple what it's worth. In the end it's your money, decide if you want cheap or quality customer service. I can't see any circumstance where my life will depend on my lights, so I went with SuperBrightLeds.
rcAirForceOne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2014, 09:16 AM   #13
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcAirForceOne View Post
Cree is based off of USA design. Most of the China made lights, which is truthfully damn near all of them, advertise as being "Cree" LEDs but may not actually have Cree LED or Cree technology built into them. The cost has come down so far on the China stuff that it makes the Rigid stuff look as though it's priced at quadruple what it's worth. In the end it's your money, decide if you want cheap or quality customer service. I can't see any circumstance where my life will depend on my lights, so I went with SuperBrightLeds.
I agree, I like my surefire flashlight, but on the jeep it'll be cheap lights for everything except headlights which have to work 100% of the time.
Unread 12-08-2014, 05:43 PM   #14
vetteonr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I know some may smirk at this, but, I got mine from Harbor Freight. At about $30 and 55w each, they light up the trail pretty good. I like them so far.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.