More Vibration After U-joint Replacement. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > More Vibration After U-joint Replacement.

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #16
el scorcho
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke View Post
that was causing the vibration? or you still have the vibes?
That happened after vibration problems, I think. Maybe as the spring was failing it put stress on the drive line burning up u-joints. Then the spring finally failed.

Do I need to replace all 4 leaf springs or just to rear 2 for now. I wasn't expecting to have to spend $800 to fix my car. 4 new springs, shocks and misc. is about $520, plus the $280 I spent on the drive shaft.

el scorcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #17
sdotcarter
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just rear is fine.
sdotcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #18
el scorcho
1990 YJ Wrangler 

All Better

I replaced the rear leaf springs and shocks, reinstalled the new drive shaft then I went for a test drive. It hasn't driven that smooth in months. 3 of the leafs on the rear driver's side cracked all the way through. Luckily it was right by the axle and on top of the tie plate.

All the bolts came off easily after I liberally sprayed them for 3 days with PB Blaster. The hardest thing was getting the leaf spring back in the rear shackle. I installed the front spring eye first, then I had to use to a jack to "open up" the spring to align it with the rear shackle to get the bolt through. A little tugging and shoving got the axle down on the pins on the springs followed by shock installation and snugging all bolts. I put the tires on and set it back on the ground then torqued all the suspension stuff properly. Last, I installed the drive shaft.

I did all this at my Dad's house, because he has 40 years of tools. It's about a 40 minutes from my house. After leaving my parents and about 10 miles down the road, I remembered I only snugged the lug nuts. So I stopped at a gas station and busted out the Jeep ratchet and tire iron. Smooth sailing all the way home.
el scorcho is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.