More trans case HELP!! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 03-05-2013, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Ryfree94
1993 YJ Wrangler 

More trans case HELP!!

ok so i recently discovered that my shifter for my 4wd that goes down into my trans case is rubbing the side of my frame. and i also noticed that my trans case is sitting on the bottom guard (im not sure what the name of it is called) of the jeep. about a week or so ago i noticed i had a crack in it and had it welded. but my question is why is it just sitting on the pan? it has a mount but its still hitting. so what i did temporally is put wood blocks under it. i know its not safe but its not my daily driver. but do they make any other mounts? or is that something i will have to custom make? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 03-05-2013, 06:53 PM
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

There should be a transmission mount under the transmission itself, which should keep the transfer case up off of the skid plate. Is your trans mount missing? Or broken off?

91 YJ, 350/700R4/231, 8.8/HPD30 with 3.73s, 6" SOA with 38" TSLs. If I ever see the previous owner again, I am going to curb stomp that meth-head brain dead crackpot.
post #3 of 26 Old 03-05-2013, 07:59 PM
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCBuckWild View Post
There should be a transmission mount under the transmission itself, which should keep the transfer case up off of the skid plate. Is your trans mount missing? Or broken off?
^^^ Has to be. When I dropped my TC recently I found the plate that the mount bolts to had sheared clean in half. I welded it back together and she's up high and tight now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman

Come on by! It's easy to network locally when you join a 4x4 club especially when all the clubs in your state are united and invited to each other's runs. You meet poor folk like me or run into guys that own some of the big companies you only aspire to order from and drool when you see their products. The great uniting factor is that we are all jeepers at heart and are willing to help each other out even if its just a little. That's what the jeep wave is all about: community. The wave is the tip of the iceberg.

post #4 of 26 Old 03-06-2013, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Ryfree94
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCBuckWild View Post
Im pretty sure its missing. i think thats my problem. but where can i get another one? is that a junkyard item? or something i have to make myself?
post #5 of 26 Old 03-06-2013, 03:08 PM
Randonexplosion
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Napa, Autozone take your pick. I recently replaced mine just because I had it apart anyway. Are the 2 studs with nuts coming out of the bottom of the skid plate?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 26 Old 03-06-2013, 03:14 PM
Randonexplosion
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=jeep+...&tx=107&ty=102

Mine looked like this

post #7 of 26 Old 03-07-2013, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Ryfree94
1993 YJ Wrangler 

no mine doesnt look like that
post #8 of 26 Old 03-07-2013, 03:34 PM
Randonexplosion
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Pics?

post #9 of 26 Old 03-07-2013, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Ryfree94
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
Pics?
ill post them tomorrow
post #10 of 26 Old 03-07-2013, 04:24 PM
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

There is also a torque arm bushing. The transmount and bushing should be new items from quadratec or similar store.

It's called a skid plate btw. And how is it even possible to hit the frame with the shifter? It's more than a foot away unless I'm missing something. Do you mean body? The body can be cut away. The shifter bolts to the trans and clock plate anyway.
post #11 of 26 Old 03-07-2013, 10:02 PM
Randonexplosion
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

This is what is should look like (or close to it). This is my ba10/5 that I pulled from my 88

forumrunner_20130307_220057.jpg

post #12 of 26 Old 03-08-2013, 10:59 AM
seattle_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion
This is what is should look like (or close to it). This is my ba10/5 that I pulled from my 88
^^^ yeap, it looks exactly like this OP. when these items fail or are missing your case will smash the skid. Also missing or damaged mounts and tcase torque arm will put extra stress on the case internals like the input shaft and the range gear. It starts to cause damage on these parts and it gets expensive.
post #13 of 26 Old 03-08-2013, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Ryfree94
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle_yj View Post
There is also a torque arm bushing. The transmount and bushing should be new items from quadratec or similar store.

It's called a skid plate btw. And how is it even possible to hit the frame with the shifter? It's more than a foot away unless I'm missing something. Do you mean body? The body can be cut away. The shifter bolts to the trans and clock plate anyway.
yes i mean my body. sorry about that. so that tells me that my transfer case is crooked? is there a certain angle that my driveshafts should be?

and below i posted some pics. but now looking at one of my friends jeeps the trans case sits just almost on the skid plate right? i was asumming it didnt cause i had to get it welded in a place where it was touching the skid plate. but when i took it down the first time there was a TON of just rubber in the skid plate. so idk what im missing here. im no mechanic as you can tell lol. (and yes my transpan and drive shafts are yellow.)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3161.jpg   IMG_3159.jpg  
post #14 of 26 Old 03-08-2013, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Ryfree94
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i just need somebodys help telling me what i have here and what i need to get to fix it.
post #15 of 26 Old 03-08-2013, 12:28 PM
Randonexplosion
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

If there were chunks of rubber on the skid then im sire your transmission mount is toast. The t case doesn't sit that high off of the skid either

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.