A more than usual Tech question about Shackles... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > A more than usual Tech question about Shackles...

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-01-2010, 09:17 AM   #1
SloppyJoseph
1993 YJ Wrangler 

A more than usual Tech question about Shackles...

Ok normally I would just call and talk to the company but since I got them from M.O.R.E. i have a problem. I guess they are all out at moab this week. So I come to you guys.

Ok so I got some 5/8" boom shackles for the front. You might have seen my other thread where the passenger side snapped in half. The first time i ordered the wrong size bushing for my leafs. So I called and they were great about shipping the correct size 2 day air on their dime. (I highly appreciate that! Great company to deal with). So I got my bushings in yesterday. Here in lies the problem.

The cutout in the 1" bushing I got is too small for the sleeve they shipped the first time to fit through. They are MAYBE 1/16" too big. So i just threw the bolt in there and greased the hell out of it for the time being. Im not going to run this setup for more than a couple days at the most and just 10 miles to work. Probably just until tonight actually.

Now when I tightend them down, they are angled like this \/ but obviously not exactly like that just a little smaller on the bottom due to the sleeve not being in there for the nut to tighten down on.

Now, I have a whole extra set of bushings (They shipped 8), that's why i just ran the bolt through the other bushings. Would it be okay to drill the bushing out enough to get the sleeve through and then bolt it up the correct way? Or should I just order a new set of bushings and sleeves from skyjacker? I really like the greasability (I just made a new word) of the MORE setup but if it's just eventually going to tear the bushing that i drill out, Ill just go ahead and get a proper set from skyjacker.

Thanks guys!

SloppyJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2010, 11:07 AM   #2
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloppyJoseph View Post
Now when I tightend them down, they are angled like this \/ but obviously not exactly like that just a little smaller on the bottom due to the sleeve not being in there for the nut to tighten down on.
If I'm understanding you correctly, the front shackles are angled somewhat rearward if you were to draw a line between the upper & lower bolts.

And if the above is correct that I wrote, the rear is doing the same thing except it's angling inwards towards the cab.

If I'm right, then those angles are harsh & do not provide for a nice shackle angle for the leafs to work with.

The front shackles should angle slightly forwards at the bottom & the rear shackles slightly rearwards at the bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloppyJoseph View Post
Would it be okay to drill the bushing out enough to get the sleeve through and then bolt it up the correct way?
Yea, that could be a solution.

If you think about it, all you are doing by drilling it (assuming the sleeve & bolt diameter are correct to begin with) is removing a small amount of the poly bushing. Which, if you were to get another set of bushings, the new bushing hole would be the same size as the drilled ones. Right?

Yea, correct sizing from the get go would be nice - but I don't see drilling them being a big factor for such a small difference of ~1/16" like you mentioned.

My guess is that if you have a vice, or perhaps a large enough C-clamp, and greased the sleeves & bushings, you'd maybe be able to press the sleeves in.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2010, 11:17 AM   #3
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
....My guess is that if you have a vice, or perhaps a large enough C-clamp, and greased the sleeves & bushings, you'd maybe be able to press the sleeves in.
This is how I put my sleeves in, they seemed too small, haven't had any issue with them once in and lubed up.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2010, 11:47 AM   #4
SloppyJoseph
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah im going to hit them on the drill press when i get out of class tonight. I think that should solve the problem. I just didn't want to melt the bushing and cause it to fail prematurely.

No thats a front view. Not the actual angle of the shackle.
SloppyJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2010, 12:19 PM   #5
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Use a slow speed when drilling.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2010, 01:38 PM   #6
Uberjeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=Joe Dillard;9202436]If I'm understanding you correctly, the front shackles are angled somewhat rearward if you were to draw a line between the upper & lower bolts.

And if the above is correct that I wrote, the rear is doing the same thing except it's angling inwards towards the cab.

QUOTE]

I think the OP is referring to the shackle looking from the front or rear straight on. The V shape would be wider on the frame mount and narrower on the spring eye end due to the bushing compressing without a guide inside.

To the OP, if you have a few spares, you may want to try the suggestion of lubing and pressing one in before drilling them out. Maybe even sit the bushing in some hot water before trying this to make it softer before trying to press it in? I would personally feel more comfortable with a press fit rather than drilling as you are not modifying the bushing. My $.02 anyways.
My Jeep has only ever killed three things. A deer, a dog, and my wallet.
*retired* Low Output Jeep Club # 135
Uberjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.