More questions: fuel return - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > More questions: fuel return

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 09-07-2011, 10:05 AM   #1
boardmaker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

More questions: fuel return

First, I want to thank those who have replied to my many questions. I am slowly working my way through the jeep and your comments have really helped me understand how things work. I have been thinking today about the fuel return line. Is this really needed? What are the ramifications of plugging this (or just going with a single output nipple filter) and then removing the return line?

Thanks.

boardmaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

yes it is needed. especially on an FI vehicle. This returns any unburned fuel back to your tank to be cycled thru the system again.
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
boardmaker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I don't think we are talking about the same line. This fuel line comes out of the filter. I am not sure how unburned fuel could ever get the this point.

It seems kind of wierd to me that there are two output nipples on the fuel filter. Why would you want to draw fuel from the tank, through the filter, and then send it back to the tank? I have to be missing something here.
Unread 09-07-2011, 01:28 PM   #4
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Because if your pump puts out more fuel than your engine can burn it has to go somewhere.
Why would you want to disconnect it?
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 01:36 PM   #5
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The return line is needed because pressure is maintain while volume is changed. The amount of fuel used at idle is much less then when you are rolling 70Mph down the freeway. The pressure put out by the pump is maintained between 31-39Psi even though you are using a much larger volume. The way thisd is done is by dumping the unused fuel back to the tank at lower use times like idle.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 01:50 PM   #6
Andywear
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, just plug it and let us know how it turns out.

While your at it remove the 3 extra lug nuts you have holding your wheel on.

J/K... just take off the 2 extra nuts

[I]Errrrrrr[/I], Will complain else where - &y
Andywear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 02:00 PM   #7
dtn8tr
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
The return line is needed because pressure is maintain while volume is changed. The amount of fuel used at idle is much less then when you are rolling 70Mph down the freeway. The pressure put out by the pump is maintained between 31-39Psi even though you are using a much larger volume. The way thisd is done is by dumping the unused fuel back to the tank at lower use times like idle.
Que...aren't you confusing that with the FI engines? The standard mechanical fuel pump on a 4.2l puts out 6-9 psi. The rest of the explanation makes sense.

Most good stories start out "Y'all ain't gonna believe this ****...."
dtn8tr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 02:03 PM   #8
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

LOL yep I sure did! Doh! Never mind.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 02:08 PM   #9
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

With a mechanical fuel pump it will always be pumping fuel when the engine is running. Because it is a diaphram pump, you can't dead head it as it will pop the diaphram. When the bowl in the Carb fills up like when at idle, and the pump is supplying more fuel than the engine using, the needle and seat in the Carb will close thus not allowing any more fuel into the bowl of the Carb. Since the engine is still running, the pump is still pumping. There fore it has to go somewhere. So it puts it back to the filter and creating a loop for the fuel to travel so as not to dead head the pump and cause damage. The pump should have a pop off valve in it that regulates the pressure to 9 psi. Once that pressure is reached, the pop off valve opens up sends the fuel back to the filter.

Long story short, yes, you need it.
My BUDGET York OBA Install
Budget Welding Cart
Carling Contura Switch Panel

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
notmyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 04:29 PM   #10
Alabamaranger
1990 YJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=notmyj;12137934]With a mechanical fuel pump it will always be pumping fuel when the engine is running. Because it is a diaphram pump, you can't dead head it as it will pop the diaphram. QUOTE]

It's been done for years - Ford, GM, Chrysler with carbs. One line into the fuel pump and one line out to the carb. No fuel return lines. When fuel pressure builds, it holds the diaphragm of the pump down. So at any rpm, if the carburetor doesn't need fuel, the back pressure holds the diaphragm down and the linkage just operates without pushing any fuel. On the down side, when in traffic and with the fuel just sitting there in the hot fuel pump and lines, it could vapor lock.

With the addition of a fuel return, the fuel is always moving so less likely for a vapor lock. I beleive the early CJ's did not have fuel return lines.
Unread 09-07-2011, 09:06 PM   #11
boardmaker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys. I learned a lot on this one.
Unread 09-07-2011, 09:49 PM   #12
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Alabamaranger has the correct answer. The fuel line, filter and carb sit right on top of the exhaust manifold. The constand flow of fuel cools the fuel line and filter. Often the carb boils the fuel out when shutting down a hot engine, but the line still has fuel, so re-starts aren't too difficult.

The 3 line fuel filter also acts like a fuel pressure regulator, reducing and stabilizing fuel pressure to the needle and seat in the carb.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.