More getting really hot but not over heating - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > More getting really hot but not over heating

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSave 17.76% for the 4th of july with ruffstuff specialtiesJuly 4th Sale Event! and Yes, We're Open!

Unread 06-06-2015, 07:55 PM   #1
Gausswave
1989 YJ Wrangler 

More getting really hot but not over heating

Last fall I replaced just about every thing except the radiator trying to get heat out of the YJ. It's been flushed multiple times, hoses replaced, pressure tested
(Passed), Burped and had the heater core replaced enough times to where I can do it ~ 15 min. I have a Canadian version so " normal" is 100C. In and around town it stays @ 100C just fine. It's got a 195 deg stat. On the highway it will eventually creep up to just shy of over heating. I'm about to replace the junkyard radiator. It's got some build up on the inside but doesn't looked clogged. Radiator is full. Reservoir is filled to normal. The pump is the normal rotation for a V belt system. I got a new radiator and stat. but I haven't installed them just yet since it's too hot. While I'm waiting for it to cool and before I go that far any thing else I should check?

Gausswave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2015, 08:01 PM   #2
Jeepsr4me

get a manual gauge and verify what the temp really is... Could just be the gauge./
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2015, 08:30 PM   #3
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Are you running the fan shroud?
Unread 06-06-2015, 09:52 PM   #4
Gausswave
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yes I am running a shroud. I don't doubt the temp is high be Aussie I can feel it via the heater, does any one know what the resistance range of the temp sensor I supposed to be? Que?
Unread 06-06-2015, 10:19 PM   #5
Gausswave
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Where exactly would you take a manual measurement? I have. Temp probe for my fluke meter. But I'm not sure where I could use it?
Unread 06-07-2015, 06:45 AM   #6
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

You can dip it into the radiator neck with the cap off or tape it to the radiator hose and wrap it with some insulation. The insulation lets the probe "see" nearly the temp running through the hose. It will take a moment to settle, but it will tell the truth close enough.
Unread 06-07-2015, 07:28 AM   #7
Jeepsr4me

Manual gauge probe goes in the same hole that the temp sensor goes in for a temporary test or there is a couple of plugs on the block you can use..
Unread 06-07-2015, 08:47 AM   #8
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

my jeep is the same way. tub gets super hot too. if i go over 60 the needle goes over 210. the thing actually ran under 200 on the trail in moab in 100* weather but damn if i can go on the highway. it all started for me when i went to 35's
Unread 06-07-2015, 10:34 AM   #9
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gausswave View Post
Where exactly would you take a manual measurement? I have. Temp probe for my fluke meter. But I'm not sure where I could use it?
My Fluke temp probe gave me an accurate reading just sticking it through the grill, and touching the radiator.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2015, 01:21 PM   #10
Gausswave
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Goob View Post
my jeep is the same way. tub gets super hot too. if i go over 60 the needle goes over 210. the thing actually ran under 200 on the trail in moab in 100* weather but damn if i can go on the highway. it all started for me when i went to 35's
I'm doing 33's but have 4.10 gears and relative to the speedo I'm still over geared by ~ 10%. I have to do an indicated 33MPH to do 30. The only other place it did it to me was running at the beach @ 35MPH. But that was soft sand on 31" tires. How old is your radiator?
Unread 06-07-2015, 01:24 PM   #11
Gausswave
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
My Fluke temp probe gave me an accurate reading just sticking it through the grill, and touching the radiator.
Thanks! I'll give that a try.
Unread 06-07-2015, 03:13 PM   #12
Gausswave
1989 YJ Wrangler 

FWIW an inside shot.
Unread 06-07-2015, 07:34 PM   #13
Gausswave
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well I don't think my gage is off or at least not by much which is not unexpected. Using the thermo couple next to the temp sensor on the back of the motor it gets with in a couple degrees of the Jeep gage. I tried just changing out the thermostat today but it didn't change any thing. My noncontact IR gun gets similar results. 10 min on the highway will get me to the edge of the red on the gage. Any thing less than 50 I'm fine. It idles right @ 195°F like it should.
Unread 06-07-2015, 07:36 PM   #14
Gausswave
1989 YJ Wrangler 

How much does the fan mater at highway speeds? When I turn the jeep off @ normal temp the clutch has about the same amount of drag as when it's cold. It doesn't spin fee in the wind but it ain't gonna pull much.
Unread 06-08-2015, 07:11 AM   #15
Jeepsr4me

The fan disconnects at higher speeds. the air flow from the air moving over and thru jeep engine bay is more than enough.
A fan with a locked up clutch will put a strain on the belt and can slip enough to not let the water pump work

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.