more flex!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > more flex!!!

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-06-2006, 10:30 AM   #1
iwishihad1

more flex!!!

hey everybody

ive got a friend with a 92 yj and 2.5 inch of lift. i have a lifted XJ, and have discos for the front and removed my swaybar. i havent been able to purchase tires for my lift yet, but even now with my 30X9.50 ATs i can go more places (besides mud) that he can go with 32X11.50 mud terrains. and its because it just doesn't flex. instead of flexing tires just start coming off the ground and with open differentials that equals going no where. so do yall have any ideas as to how he can gain some more flex for wheeling. for a while we were just into mud which doesn't require flex, but now were enjoying trying more difficult terrain

thanks

iwishihad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2006, 11:29 AM   #2
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

get under it and find out whats holding things up. shocks are notoriously too short and are big limiters. breaklines are another. alot of people overlook the parking brake lines on a yj these can be very short. the obvious are the track bars and swaybar.
fratis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2006, 01:59 PM   #3
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

for his YJ, pull the sway bars and track bars, that should help. but it will never flex like an XJ my roomate has an XJ and no matter what i do to my YJ it just won't flex like his.
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2006, 01:59 PM   #4
iwishihad1

well the obvious things are things we havn't messed with..ive done all the work on my xj, and can make my 30s rub on 5 inches of lift.. a shop did his lift, and only the lift. i know i can remove the rear swaybar on my xj but what are somethings which can be removed on his yj for more flex
Unread 08-06-2006, 02:00 PM   #5
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishihad1
well the obvious things are things we havn't messed with..ive done all the work on my xj, and can make my 30s rub on 5 inches of lift.. a shop did his lift, and only the lift. i know i can remove the rear swaybar on my xj but what are somethings which can be removed on his yj for more flex
as I said above. front sway bar (only has a sway in the front. doesnt need to waste money on discos, just trash it) front and rear trackbars can also be tossed
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
Unread 08-06-2006, 05:25 PM   #6
COSourdough

With swaybar and trackbars....

Without sway or trackbars....

'nuff said!
COSourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2006, 06:13 PM   #7
headkase

No sway bar, track bar....

4" RC lift / 33x12.50 MTR's / Custom front bumper with grille guard/light bar and rear bumper with tire carrier/ 8.8 rear, dana 30 front--4.10's / 1" custom lift shackles

[url=http://home.satx.rr.com/headkase/][color=red]Headkase's Website[/color][/url]
headkase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2006, 10:00 PM   #8
iwishihad1

ok.. so the front sway bar on his can just be completely removed

as for the trac bars, i removed the front tracbar on my xj and tried to drive down the road and after about 200 yards decided it was impossible and went back home. it wouldn't turn for nothing and felt horrible on the road.

but are yall saying remove the front sway bar and both front and rear tracbars??

thanks
Unread 08-06-2006, 10:05 PM   #9
GroundClearance
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Its up to you, some people don't feel safe without them, some have no problem. Me personaly I'd get ride of them all, I did and havn't noticed a real diffrence (Maybe because for a short while I was running my ZJ disco'd) as long as you drive it like a Jeep and not a car you'll be fine, as a added bonus your gonna get a smoother ride. Either way remove your rear TB it does nothing on our YJ's.

PS you can't run coils without a TB....you'll pretty much die.......
'94 Grand Cherokee ZJ RIP FEB 25 2006
'47 CJ2A
Quote:
Originally Posted by knatdog55
matt, you are a dirty hooker, deal with it....
U.S. NAVY JEEP HULL # 41

TGC4x4 NOW WORKING
GroundClearance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2006, 11:23 PM   #10
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

The issue with removing the trac-bars on a coil sprung vehicle are obvious.

#1 being that the trac-bar controls the side to side movement of the axle. Tall coil springs (or any coil spring for that matter) cannot control the side to side motion of the axle at all. Might as well drive off a cliff.

With leaf sprung vehicles however, the springs are generally stiff enough to provide the lateral support that is normally provided by the trac-bar. I'm not saying that you won't notice a difference in handling (because you will) but I'm willing to bet that the ride will smooth out a bit (since most YJ lift kits are known for horrible ride characteristics) and the off road flex will be worth it's weight in lockers (that is, until you can afford lockers).
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2006, 11:35 PM   #11
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

I've had my front and rear trac bars gone for about 6 months now. Can't say I know they were even ever there. As for the sway bar, If you like the stiffer feel on road, and flex offroad, just get disconnects for the sway bar. BTW....no trac bars or sway bar ....

Unread 08-07-2006, 02:56 AM   #12
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishihad1
ok.. so the front sway bar on his can just be completely removed

as for the trac bars, i removed the front tracbar on my xj and tried to drive down the road and after about 200 yards decided it was impossible and went back home. it wouldn't turn for nothing and felt horrible on the road.

but are yall saying remove the front sway bar and both front and rear tracbars??

thanks
thats because you have coil springs. with coils you need the tracbar to locate the axle laterally under the Jeep. however, with leaves, the springs do that for you. So you can easily remove the trac bars with no adverse handling effects
Unread 02-08-2007, 08:28 PM   #13
bayvilleYJ

I dont want to sound stupid , but this is my first jeep , can someone post a picture of what the trac-bars look like , im not sure if my jeep still has them. I can stuff my 35's with 4.5 inch springs , 3 inch body , and 3 inch shackle , but i would do anything for more.
bayvilleYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2007, 08:47 PM   #14
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayvilleYJ
I dont want to sound stupid , but this is my first jeep , can someone post a picture of what the trac-bars look like , im not sure if my jeep still has them. I can stuff my 35's with 4.5 inch springs , 3 inch body , and 3 inch shackle , but i would do anything for more.

This is a TJ front axle, but it's the best picture I could come up with on GIS.

The trac-bar is the one running from the passenger side of the axle (where a mount is welded on) to the drivers side of the frame (where again another mount is welded on). The one in this particular picture is adjustable, but that really won't make a difference since they all look about the same.
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2007, 08:49 PM   #15
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayvilleYJ
only stupid question is the one you dont ask!!!!
the trac bars are the bars that go from the frame rail to the top of the axles.
on the front, if i remember right, the bracket is on the driver side frame rail, and it goes to the pass side of the axle tube. cant remember on the rear, i have a 8.8 and never bothered even welding a bracket onto it for the pos. take em off and dump them!
the sway bar (the bar that is under the rad, and has a link either side to the spring perches) i recommend jks quicker disconnects, well worth it in my opinion.

good luck
martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.