More flex? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > More flex?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 04-20-2010, 01:40 PM   #16
Ronnie-Evans
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ya sorry about the horrible pics! Didnt relize till they were up larger. The springs are actually softer than my buddys (90 wrangler) so im stoked on that. Ill post pics of the bump stops later today. Does it look like i should possibly swap to some better shackles? and how may i find a torque setting for em?

Ronnie-Evans is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2010, 07:15 PM   #17
Ronnie-Evans
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Here are some pictures of the bump stops that concern me there like this on all four. Maybe im wrong. What to do here guys?
Unread 04-21-2010, 07:19 PM   #18
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I hear from another thread on here that you can open your doors and get better flex.

Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2010, 08:12 PM   #19
Ronnie-Evans
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I saw that post. Sounds wacko to me
Unread 04-21-2010, 11:03 PM   #20
clemsonfan16
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJake View Post
I hear from another thread on here that you can open your doors and get better flex.

Jake
Hahahaha its "whats everybodys doin" these days!
clemsonfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2010, 11:08 PM   #21
clemsonfan16
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie-Evans View Post
Here are some pictures of the bump stops that concern me there like this on all four. Maybe im wrong. What to do here guys?
I cut my bump stops off after I put my lift on. Huge difference! But you have the downside of your shocks bottoming out if your not careful. Just "trim" them a little. There is prob 4in of rubber there. Maybe more.

You mean flex like dissss?
clemsonfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2010, 12:21 AM   #22
Axl Jack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Here is a pic of my front axle the day I finished putting on my lift:

As you can see, with only 4" springs there wasn't a whole heck of a lot of room between the rubber bump stops and the bump stop extenders included in the kit. Kind-of defeats the purpose of axle articulation.

Shortly thereafter, I removed those extentions along with the track bar and sway bars (and added 5/8" booms) and the flex is very good for a SUA setup. The shocks don't bottom out, but I would wager a guess that if I were any higher suspension-wise they probably would. (So for more room I added TJ flares and soon hope to add a 1" BL).
You know you drive a YJ when it is no longer getting older, but slowly becoming brand new part by part.
Axl Jack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2010, 03:14 PM   #23
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Like we've been saying. Disconnect the sway and tracs and flex it out. If you have room for up travel and there's no danger of inverting the springs, then your next step would be to remove the axle bump spacer...not the rubber bump itself. The spacer can be adjusted/cut down to accomodate what you need. Again, you're more than welcome to flex it out here and I'b happy to re-weld the spacers if need be for ya. BUT GET THOSE BARS OFF AND CHECK IT FIRST!

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2010, 03:22 PM   #24
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
No thread concerning sways or tracs is complete with out this...

For the OP... get yourself a set of sway disco's. IIRC I have the RE's and they work well. (when I use them. hehe.) Don't remove the bumps until you know where your springs will max out. Most likely you won't need to. Depending on what kind of shackles you have... grease them up and re-torque to no more than 50-60 lbs.

If you need to test them out, I have a nice little hill you can borrow.

WRM
Where's the pic of having a beer with them, that was classic!
Unread 04-22-2010, 03:54 PM   #25
Ronnie-Evans
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Like we've been saying. Disconnect the sway and tracs and flex it out. If you have room for up travel and there's no danger of inverting the springs, then your next step would be to remove the axle bump spacer...not the rubber bump itself. The spacer can be adjusted/cut down to accomodate what you need. Again, you're more than welcome to flex it out here and I'b happy to re-weld the spacers if need be for ya. BUT GET THOSE BARS OFF AND CHECK IT FIRST!
Thanks Alot. Just got the bars off. Now going out to get the sway off. Where about do you live? I see your from my area?
Unread 04-22-2010, 06:35 PM   #26
Ronnie-Evans
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Got the sway/track bars removed just now...Going out for a test run..Pics to come..Thanks guys!
Unread 04-22-2010, 09:13 PM   #27
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks Alot. Just got the bars off. Now going out to get the sway off. Where about do you live? I see your from my area?
Ranchos, just off 12. 'bout 10 min. from blackstone/herndon.

Quote:
Unread 04-22-2010, 09:18 PM   #28
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Got the sway/track bars removed just now...Going out for a test run..Pics to come..Thanks guys!
Well, at least you're an eager beaver. no need to pull the whole sway, just the links. oh well, it will be easy to pull off the links if you decide to get disco's.

WRM

Quote:
Unread 04-22-2010, 09:25 PM   #29
dadstoys2
1987 YJ Wrangler 

yeah put the sway bar back on and get some disco's
I still need to pull my rear trac bar.
Np435 trans w/ np205
dadstoys2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2010, 09:45 PM   #30
Ronnie-Evans
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
Ranchos, just off 12. 'bout 10 min. from blackstone/herndon.
Ah man your right down the 99 from me then. We need to get together so i can pick your brain about some stuff and wheel this thing. Thanks again for the help!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.