Moral support from my fellow YJers - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 56 Old 04-26-2011, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
chaserYJ1990
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Moral support from my fellow YJers

So, I have my jeep for sale right now on craigslist and It's really bothering me. I use it as my everyday driver and honestly it should probably be used as a trail Jeep. This was my first Jeep and I've put about four grand into the thing, after I got ripped off with the purchase price of four grand, and it still needs a lot of work to be a dependable vehicle.

It's just killing me that the PO lied to me so much and I have this love hate relationship with the thing. It's broken down on me several times. Last year it was the carter carb, and I replaced it with the Webber 32/36 I've done just tons of cosmetic work and I really do like my Jeep it just makes me so mad when I'm stranded. I don't want another car payment and I really like that I have the title in hand on my Jeep.

I would like to say that I'm a hard core YJer, but I just don't know. What would you guys do?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old 04-26-2011, 12:22 PM
CrawlingForward
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ha ha, we bought another vehicle.

Seriously, I was so attached to the YJ and wanted it to be a toy, but it just wasn't dependable enough to be a DD anymore and just kept breaking down.

It wasn't worth the measly amount I was going to get for it, so we bought a new vehicle so that it wouldn't be a crisis if the YJ broke down.

Really, what can you get for a '90 YJ? $3,000? It's probably worth it just to set your budget for a new vehicle at $3000 lower and have both!

Having a dependable vehicle makes the YJs quirks a *whole* lot less frustrating!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
post #3 of 56 Old 04-26-2011, 12:24 PM
WakeDoctor
1991 YJ Wrangler 

How much more do you have left to fix? These things aren't Cadillacs, they are pretty bare boned.

post #4 of 56 Old 04-26-2011, 12:24 PM
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Keep it. You can't recoup much money from what I understand. Plus you won't have a car payment like you said. If I were you I would take it one step at a time starting with a general tuneup. Then get a beater civic to dd so you don't get stranded. Lol.

Adopt your pets. Don't shop for them.
post #5 of 56 Old 04-26-2011, 12:33 PM
ChuckTe
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Keep it and do a 4.0 swap. The love hate relationship will change to just a love affair.
post #6 of 56 Old 04-26-2011, 12:35 PM
littleredjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I think you need to keep it. Like stated above. It is not a Cadillac. If it is was and it broke down on the side of the road you are not going to be able to fix it on the side of the road like your Jeep. Also, I think everyone kinda has a love hate relationship with there Jeep to a certain point. If you did buy another vehicle then you would have a vehicle payment too. If your payment was a cheap payment, we will say $200.00. In a years time you will be able to put $2400 into your Jeep. That is a lot of money to make a YJ reliable. Just keep going and you will really love it with all the blood sweat and tears when it is all said and done.

88 YJ 4.2, 5-speed, 4"RC lift, 5/8 booms, herced tub, and cavi seats

My build thread

_____
/| ,[___],
|--L --[]lllll[]-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
post #7 of 56 Old 04-26-2011, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
chaserYJ1990
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It's not even the fact that I need to put money into the jeep, it's the fact that it always seems to happen right at the worst times... lol I try to be proactive on the keep up and maintenance, but like the other night I left the movie theater and it just died driving down the street. Next morning started right up no problem. Now I've gotta go pick up a ICM in a few minutes and you just can't foresee things like that.

I've been talking to my mechanic about doing a full engine swap, just because it's got 189,000 miles, but really do I need to. I mean the engines still running strong!

It's just me and my 7-year-old daughter so having two vehicles is really overkill for me. It's just when we go out of town really that it's a PITA because of the comfort level. That and I don't want to be stranded in the middle of no where with her ya know!

Ya'll keep talking me up though... lol I really don't want to get rid of it!
post #8 of 56 Old 04-26-2011, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
chaserYJ1990
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTe View Post
Keep it and do a 4.0 swap. The love hate relationship will change to just a love affair.
I've got the 4.2
post #9 of 56 Old 04-26-2011, 12:52 PM
1990offroadYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I put a 4.0 in mine. Had the TB injected 2.5. I've spent tons of time working on it. Its defiantly a love hate relationship. But I don't have anymore drivetrain issues. Now its just the rust. But I love my yj. I have a 1970 beetle for my DD too for gas mileage
post #10 of 56 Old 04-26-2011, 12:58 PM
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If you have to pay someone else for repairs then sell it and get something else, perhaps a new or newer Jeep. If you can't do the labor it will continue to be a money pit. If you can do the work yourself then keep it, get some good towing (AAA) and drive it for the next decade or more.

~K

1994 Jeep YJ off road toy
1981 CJ7 SBC 350
2005 KJ Libertyt 4x4 CRD w/ 2.5" Frankenlift DD
post #11 of 56 Old 04-26-2011, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
chaserYJ1990
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I like the engine in mine, the 4.2 has plenty of power. The Webber made it a whole different machine, but I'd still like to do the Howell EFI. If I do an engine swap it would be for the exact same engine. Talking to my mechanic for what he can get me for cost it would cost about as much as having it rebuilt. Plus I'll get all the little extras that come with the new engine.

I do know how cheap I am though, and if I get another car I'll make payments for a few months and then say to hell with this and sale the jeep to pay for the car. I sold a 2007 Tundra for this jeep, that shows you how cheap I am... lol I just hate having a car payment!
post #12 of 56 Old 04-26-2011, 01:07 PM
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

well I was kinda the same, but not really, I DD mine YJ as well, its SOA, and many many mods, top comes off end of March whcih for here is still snow and -10ish temps in teh morning, so I needed somehting...

I work for a dealership, but I boght a old 97 olds cutlas for 400 bucks, its a rood runner, actualyl very clean car, just higher milage..... I use it when its raining, or to cold to drive the heep, so the jeep sits or is able to sit for any lenght of time, and I can use the car...

second vehicle dont mean you need to spend 10 or 20 grand on one... find a cheap one in the paper or make a friend at a dealership, just got a 94 exploder yesterday for 50 bucks, Im taking the 8.8 out of it...

this one came on trade from an older couple, has 225,000km on it but straight and strong runner, with a 3.4, prone to headgasket leaks but if it dies on the road for 400 bucks I will walk to work and buy another LOL

Started with some rust repairs ended in a SOA...

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
post #13 of 56 Old 04-26-2011, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
chaserYJ1990
1990 YJ Wrangler 

So far, I've done all my own work. I did the Webber 32/36 swap myself, I had it soda blasted and then did the new paint job myself, herculined the interior myself, Grant steering wheel, broken horn, fixing to replace the blinker because the lever broke off so I ordered both the lever and switch in the column, swapping the ICM today, I've been working on the 4wd that doesn't work. I've put about $200 into replacing all the vacuum lines, vacuum switch and vacuum motor, now I've completely abandoned that and am going for the posi lock when I get the $$$. Other than that I do all the basic up keep. Changed the front diff oil the other day and put on the new lubelocker diff gasket, need to do the back diff with the same now.

There's more I'm sure just can't think of it off the top of my head. I've only owned it a year, but it's been rough.

New soft top and hardware
New BFG's 33's Mud Terrain KM2's
New Craiger soft 8's
New sound bar
New bushwacker cut-out fenders
New side markers and parking lights
New head lights
New battery

I've put a lot of money into this thing for it to go for what it's worth!!!
post #14 of 56 Old 04-26-2011, 01:12 PM
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaserYJ1990 View Post
So far, I've done all my own work. I did the Webber 32/36 swap myself, I had it soda blasted and then did the new paint job myself, herculined the interior myself, Grant steering wheel, broken horn, fixing to replace the blinker because the lever broke off so I ordered both the lever and switch in the column, swapping the ICM today, I've been working on the 4wd that doesn't work. I've put about $200 into replacing all the vacuum lines, vacuum switch and vacuum motor, now I've completely abandoned that and am going for the posi lock when I get the $$$. Other than that I do all the basic up keep. Changed the front diff oil the other day and put on the new lubelocker diff gasket, need to do the back diff with the same now.

There's more I'm sure just can't think of it off the top of my head. I've only owned it a year, but it's been rough.

New soft top and hardware
New BFG's 33's Mud Terrain KM2's
New Craiger soft 8's
New sound bar
New bushwacker cut-out
New side markers and parking lights
New head lights
New battery

I've put a lot of money into this thing for it to go for what it's worth!!!
really tho most of what you did was cosmetic NOT maintence... the 4x4 is your vac, get a posi lok and problem solved forever....

the rest is cosmetice stuff, stop buying pretty things and spend more on the stuff it needs, to keep it running in otp notch...

with your weber do the nutter and team rush, engine problems pretty mcuh solved, swpa posi lok, do it yourself or buy a kit, 4x4 solved... what else is there......

simple rusles if it aint broke dont touch it.....

alls i can tell ya ias after doing the weber, nutter and team rush, my 4.2 NEVER leaves me, well it never did leave me stranded.... the posi kit, no more 4x4 problems, really it dont give me much grief at all.... maybe Im lucky

Started with some rust repairs ended in a SOA...

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
post #15 of 56 Old 04-26-2011, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
chaserYJ1990
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggityjeeper View Post
really tho most of what you did was cosmetic NOT maintence... the 4x4 is your vac, get a posi lok and problem solved forever....

the rest is cosmetice stuff, stop buying pretty things and spend more on the stuff it needs, to keep it running in otp notch...

with your weber do the nutter and team rush, engine problems pretty mcuh solved, swpa posi lok, do it yourself or buy a kit, 4x4 solved... what else is there......

simple rusles if it aint broke dont touch it.....

alls i can tell ya ias after doing the weber, nutter and team rush, my 4.2 NEVER leaves me, well it never did leave me stranded.... the posi kit, no more 4x4 problems, really it dont give me much grief at all.... maybe Im lucky

Being my DD though, the new top, tires, and wheels where the most expensive and those were definitely a must have!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.