mods????? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > mods?????

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 03-07-2004, 04:52 PM   #1
CURT95

mods?????

Hey everyone. One of those stupid questions. What is the best od that you can do on a 95 YJ to help with off road performance. The only problem that I have is that I don’t have a lot of money to work with, and it is my daily driver (that I drive about 100 miles
every day). is there anything that I can do that is inexpensive, but dose the most for off-roading. any help you guys can give me will be much appreciated. thanks for any help you guys can give me.

Thanks
curt

1970 Jeepster Comando
1976 CJ7
1994 XJ
1995 YJ
CURT95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2004, 07:38 PM   #2
surfsmeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CURT95
Hey everyone. One of those stupid questions. What is the best od that you can do on a 95 YJ to help with off road performance. The only problem that I have is that I donít have a lot of money to work with, and it is my daily driver (that I drive about 100 miles
every day). is there anything that I can do that is inexpensive, but dose the most for off-roading. any help you guys can give me will be much appreciated. thanks for any help you guys can give me.

Thanks
curt
Well curt you can ajust the tv cable on your throttle body that will ajust your shifts if its a auto,also a cat back exhaust aint bad for off road ,the right tire is a good one to ,if i were you and i mostly used the jeep for off roadin it would have to be a biger tire thus a lift would be need and along with those bigger paws you would need more power.Fact is theres alot of stuff you can buy and i mean alot. Go to www.acmejeepparts.com these guys got it all if you want it they have it
surfsmeller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2004, 08:18 PM   #3
yj_magnus

Kinda depends upon what kind of off-roading you want to do.
If you don't need tons of clearance, but you want more flex you could do sway bar disconnects and a 1" body lift. That'll run you about $180 if you do the installs yourself.
If you need the clearance for bigger rocks or water/mud, then you should go with a suspension lift and bigger tires, that'll be $800-2000 depending upon the parts you pick and again, if you do the work yourself. If you do a lift and bigger tires, you will want to do the differential gears as well, since you commute 100 miles a day. Otherwise your mileage is going to break the bank.

So many mods, so little $$$$
Unread 03-07-2004, 09:14 PM   #4
CURT95

thanks for the advice so far. The off roading that I do the most is mud running. my jeep as a manual transmission and is MPFI.
I was thinking of getting the bigger tires and doing a spring over axle lift on it what are your thoughts on that.

Thanks
Curt
1970 Jeepster Comando
1976 CJ7
1994 XJ
1995 YJ
CURT95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2004, 09:17 PM   #5
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CURT95
Hey everyone. One of those stupid questions. What is the best od that you can do on a 95 YJ to help with off road performance. The only problem that I have is that I donít have a lot of money to work with, and it is my daily driver (that I drive about 100 miles

Thanks
curt
i'll second the sway bar discos. also, get rid of the rear and maybe the front track bar if you haven't already. that one is free and will really increase your articulation off-road and give you a smoother ride. just start putting money away for a lift kit since the lack of the track bars can wear out the stock springs faster due to axle wrap in the rear. do you have a 4 or 6 cyl? if you want some real off road capabilities, save up a bit and put a locker up front. you can pick up some of the less expensive ones for under 300 if you do the install and with the stock actuator on the front axle, you'll never notice it on your commute. herculiner or other bedliner is another great, fairly cheap mod that will help clean your interior up after wheeling. depending on what you used that can run you $30-$100. If you want to tell us about how much you're willing to spend we could probably narrow it down.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2004, 09:23 PM   #6
CanukYJ

I'm on a tight budget too but have my mods finally figured out. If you want pure offroad performance for under 300$ get a front locker and put it in yer self (lockrite or aussie locker will suffice). Here's what I am doing because I am on a budget, keep in mind this is AFTER I have completely brought the drivetrain and engine back up to tip top, always get yer rig running smooth, reliable, and safe BEFORE modding it, gotta have priorites...

-I bought a 1" daystar body lift from www.*******.com for 115$.
-Got a 1" shackle lift from a guy who makes them on ebay, full set front and bac=50$.
-Home made sway bar disco's=5$
-Aussie locker for front dana30=200$ shipped
-31" Kumho MT's all around (pricey for MT tires, this is the most expensive part) around 600$ installed.

The MT's are optional, if you have a good tire then stick with it, my AT's are the WORST, I've driven minivans through places these AT's spun in 2wd lol. MT's although expensive are one of the BIGGEST traction adding mod's other than the locker.

1992 Red YJ. Lifted, locked, and loaded with beer (Disclaimer: This doesn't mean said driver endorses drinking and driving, please enjoy alcohol responsibly and do not operate any vehicle of any kind, thank you....)

Thanks to the price of gas here ($4.25 a gal) I just bought a mountain bike, 0" of lift, 0" of travel, MT's, locked rear axle, oh yeah, it's the sh#$.
CanukYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2004, 04:38 PM   #7
RideRed04

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanukYJ
I'm on a tight budget too but have my mods finally figured out. If you want pure offroad performance for under 300$ get a front locker and put it in yer self (lockrite or aussie locker will suffice). Here's what I am doing because I am on a budget, keep in mind this is AFTER I have completely brought the drivetrain and engine back up to tip top, always get yer rig running smooth, reliable, and safe BEFORE modding it, gotta have priorites...

-I bought a 1" daystar body lift from www.*******.com for 115$.
-Got a 1" shackle lift from a guy who makes them on ebay, full set front and bac=50$.
-Home made sway bar disco's=5$
-Aussie locker for front dana30=200$ shipped
-31" Kumho MT's all around (pricey for MT tires, this is the most expensive part) around 600$ installed.

The MT's are optional, if you have a good tire then stick with it, my AT's are the WORST, I've driven minivans through places these AT's spun in 2wd lol. MT's although expensive are one of the BIGGEST traction adding mod's other than the locker.
Yup, he's right on. I've pretty much done what he has, I just started sooner Heres what I've done and my thoughts

2" body lift($70 Shipped)- great for cheap clearence, and allows more flex due to not having to add bump stops. I'll probably be taking it out soon as it is starting to piss me off with the 4wd popping out all the time. I'll try to extend the shifter first, and if that doesn't work, out she goes.

31" trxus M/T's on black steel rims(under $700 shipped)- one of my best mods so far. They are cheap for a 31" tire (107 per tire), and the steel rims are cheap and easy to find. They always seem to find traction.

Front lockright($130 shipped)- another mod I'm glad I did. Don't feel it on the street, and it really pulls you through stuff in 4wd. I've only gotten stuck with it once so far, and that was due to huge wet snowbanks. Got pulled out by a buick lesabre

2.5" rubicon express lift($600 shipped)- best practical mod. Rides great, came with swaybar disco's, and flexes nice. Would do it again.

Optima style battery($100)- Not a mod I would have done except I needed a battery, and they were on sale. Last 2-3x as long as a normal battery, start faster, and have better luck with winch.

My next projects are building a box for the rear (never run a rear seat anymore) with the spare tire mounted on top(price of lumbar and metal for support), a winch($300), and a buick 3.8L/dakota bellhousing/ax-15 swap(~1000-1500). After that SOA, new axles, and bigger tires. I'm sure a rear locker will find its way in as soon as I find a deal on one.

Last edited by RideRed04; 03-08-2004 at 04:43 PM..
RideRed04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2004, 05:10 PM   #8
TellyDSP
Poland and PPV!!!!
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I dont know if these two statements go together...
Quote:
The only problem that I have is that I donít have a lot of money to work with, and it is my daily driver (that I drive about 100 miles
Quote:
thanks for the advice so far. The off roading that I do the most is mud running. my jeep as a manual transmission and is MPFI. I was thinking of getting the bigger tires and doing a spring over axle lift on it what are your thoughts on that.
I guess maybe we should find out what your definition of cheap is. I think a SOA is nice, but I don't think it fits in the category of cheap. Depending how much work you do, it could be cheaper, but between that and tires, it'll cost you some. You'd definately need a SYE/CV, might have to extend your front driveshaft(probably not), welding perches, and steering components might need modding. Keep in mind, if you do tires much bigger than stock, you will lose a lot of power and probably hurt gas mileage. Regearing usually will run you about $1000, and generally tends to not be a DIY job. If you mostly do mud, I would say grab a set of 31 MT's, 1"BL, disco's and cut off your rear TB. This will give you some traction, and even some ability/room for flex.
I may be ditching my 4.5" RE XD springs with less than 1k miles eventually to go back to stock spring sprung over. Not a gaurantee, but they might show up for sale.
In your wheeling experiences, what have you run into as far as problems where the only thought that goes through your head is I wish I had __________. That, right there, is your answer. I usually decide my next mods when wheeling.

My .02
Craig

SIRA4x4 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
n00bs bashing n00bs, it's a pitifull thing.
TellyDSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2004, 05:26 PM   #9
RideRed04

In responce to Telly's PM to me :

Quote:
Originally Posted by TellyDSP
Hate to be a PITA, but I saw the following text in one of your replies...

I was curious how accurate those figures are. My tranny went a while back, and I have lately been deciding whether to replace it with another AX5 or do a engine/tranny swap. For $1000, that would be great. Curious if you know any details bout this or where I could find some. I guess the most important is ease of application.

TIA
Craig

I've been pricing stuff, as I plan to do it when money isn't so tight (I.E. after college). For an ax-15, expect to pay $400 for a cheap used one up to $700-900 for a rebuilt one. Buick's can be had cheap. I've seen whole cars go for $200, and the 3.8L is virtually indestructable. I've had it in an old car of mine, and its a peppy motor. 205HP and 230ft/lbs would be just the ticket for a wrangler. The bellhousing you need is a $45-65 junkyard part. Get the BH from a 2.5L dakota with a 5 speed. The 2.5L uses the same bolt pattern as a GM 60 degree v-6. The 3.8L is a 90 degree engine, but the front wheel drive ones use the same pattern as the 60's. The datota's use an ax-15 behind the 2.5L, so its a great swap if you want to keep the 2.5 too. From what I've read, the ax-15 and the ax-5 are the same lenght. What I'm looking for is the tranny and T-case from a 4.0 wrangler to just throw in behind the buick. Not sure on what pilot bushing will be needed yet, but thats in the works. Bolt up the t-case, line up the engine mounds, mark and weld. I've heard that the 3.8 needs to get it's flywheel ballanced, and I've heard it is fine without, so thats still being reserched.
Unread 03-08-2004, 07:13 PM   #10
RideRed04

Really good link with more info on the 2.5L ax-15 swap:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...5&pagenumber=1

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.