MML Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > MML Questions

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 04-07-2010, 10:11 PM   #1
Unii
1995 YJ Wrangler 

MML Questions

what does it take to put one in? i'm assuming unbolt the old mounts lift the engine and put the new mounts in, is that right? or is there more...

there is always more haha

Unii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 10:25 PM   #2
ritjobbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The passenger side mount bolt can't come out without removing the alternator on the 2.5L.

Other than that, it's really as easy as it sounds.

BROWN DOG!!!
Unread 04-07-2010, 10:26 PM   #3
Unii
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
The passenger side mount bolt can't come out without removing the alternator on the 2.5L.

Other than that, it's really as easy as it sounds.

BROWN DOG!!!
thats no biggie, and yes brown dog for sure.
Unread 04-08-2010, 12:10 AM   #4
Axl Jack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Is a 1" BL semi-required when doing a 1" MML? What I mean is, although not absolutely necessary, is it a good idea to be doing a 1" BL at the same time so there are no issues with clearance with the transmission/t-case tunnel under the body?
You know you drive a YJ when it is no longer getting older, but slowly becoming brand new part by part.
Axl Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 12:18 AM   #5
Unii
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Jack View Post
Is a 1" BL semi-required when doing a 1" MML? What I mean is, although not absolutely necessary, is it a good idea to be doing a 1" BL at the same time so there are no issues with clearance with the transmission/t-case tunnel under the body?
i believe so if not you gotta beat the tunnel up to make clearance.
Unread 04-08-2010, 12:23 AM   #6
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Jack View Post
The 1" BL raises your fan shroud, too.
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 12:24 AM   #7
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Do you guys do this to compensate for body lift?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 12:39 AM   #8
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHuss View Post
I did the 1" BL to assure clearance for 33's on a 2-1/2" OME lift.

Added the 1" MML to solve the fan shroud issue associated with the 1" BL and to provide added insurance to minimize d/l vibes. Added adjustable, rear UCA's at the same time for the same reason.

I was also hoping to delay the inevitable SYE for $$ reasons. In my case, I bent my transfer case output shaft on the maiden voyage after installing the lift, BL and MML & 33's and had to upgrade to the SYE immediately... EDIT: The SYE required a new drive shaft, too...$

Then too, the steering manners changed after the BL/MML were installed and in my case had to add a M.O.R.E. steering bracket to resolve that issue...

They say that modifications are often never as simple as they appear on Jeeps. It's been my experience that, who ever "they" are, "they're" right...

I did all the installations, with the exception of the SYE, myself, so it wasn't as expensive as it could have been.

Last edited by RaggedOleMan; 04-08-2010 at 12:50 AM..
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 12:43 AM   #9
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedOleMan View Post
I did the 1" BL to assure clearance for 33's on a 2-1/2" OME lift.

Added the 1" MML to solve the fan shroud issue associated with the 1" BL and to provide added insurance to minimize d/l vibes. Added adjustable, rear UCA's at the same time for the same reason.

I was also hoping to delay the inevitable SYE for $$ reasons. In my case, I bent my transfer case output shaft on the maiden voyage after installing the lift, BL and MML & 33's and had to upgrade to the SYE immediately...

They say that modifications are often never as simple as they appear on Jeeps. It's been my experience that, who ever "they" are, "they're" right...
Ha, cool I learned something new about body on frame vehicles today, thanks. I almost did a MML to move my whole drivetrain assmbly upward so I could make a flush tranny crossmember. Dedcided it was to much work and made it 1.25 drop. Better than the stock 2.5 inch t member drop!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 01:02 AM   #10
Unii
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHuss View Post
i'd be doing it for driveline angles too.
Unread 04-08-2010, 08:25 AM   #11
Brown Dog
Vendor
1991 YJ Wrangler 

A few words about MML's:

Jeep Motor Mount Lifts (MML)

Don't remove the alternator to change the passenger side mount; remove the engine bracket instead.

The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!!

Motor Mounts, Motor Mount Lifts (MML), and Engine Brackets for Jeep
100% HANDCRAFTED IN AMERICA

91YJ 2.5
Brown Dog Mounts and Engine Brackets (Serial Number 1)
2" BL
4.5" Superlift SL
AA SYE
35" GoodYear Mud Terrains
Conteract Balancing Beads
Bulldog front bumper
Best Top seats
"Family" roll bar
25 foot 1/2" log chain
No Top, No Doors (Best Top Safari)
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 09:56 AM   #12
ritjobbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post
Don't remove the alternator to change the passenger side mount; remove the engine bracket instead.
NOW YOU TELL ME!!! DOH!

I should have been smart enough to figure that out on my own. Dang. Dang. Dang.
Unread 04-08-2010, 10:01 AM   #13
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

IMO, I recommend you do the tranny mount too. The tranny mount holes in the skid are slotted, and the new motor mounts will change the height of the motor which will move the tranny mounting position a bit. In order to not have any binding or stress on the new mounts, loosen the tranny mount first will let it move where it wants to be.

For the motor mounts, I use a floor jack with a wooden block under the oil pan to lift the motor just enough to take the weight off the mounts. Loosen, but do not remove the large single main bolt that runs through the mount, then remove the bolts that hold the motor mount brackets to the engine block & the bolt & nut attaching the mount to the frame. Remove the whole assembly & swap the mounts on the workbench.

I put the passenger side "main bolt" through the mount in the opposite direction from the factory. The factory arrangement has the head of the bolt facing the back of the alternator, and it will not slide out without removing the alternator or the whole engine bracket. I put the nut on that side, so the next time you replace the mount you can leave the engine mounting bracket on the engine & slide the bolt out towards the firewall.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 10:42 AM   #14
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I did the body lift and MM lift the same day.
They are both super easy and only takes about three beers.
I have the six cylinder tho'.
I did the passenger side first, opposite what the instructions from Brown Dog recommends. It worked out fine tho'.
The first thing on the instructions is to loosen the tranny mount nuts. Be sure to do that.
I did the rubber Brown Dog 1" MM lift just to assure a no engine vibe result. I did the body lift to accommodate the 33 inch tires and the MM lift to get rid of the t-case drop from my 2.5 inch suspension lift.
The Brown Dog mounts are very high quality, worth the extra couple bucks in my opinion.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 11:35 AM   #15
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
IMO, I recommend you do the tranny mount too. The tranny mount holes in the skid are slotted, and the new motor mounts will change the height of the motor which will move the tranny mounting position a bit. In order to not have any binding or stress on the new mounts, loosen the tranny mount first will let it move where it wants to be.

Max
I agree, a new HP poly mounts less than 30 bucks, stockers like 18. My trans mt did deteriorate after i put the MML on. It was old though and i didnt loosen when i did the MML which i should have

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.