Missing thrust washers in open differential? HELP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Missing thrust washers in open differential? HELP

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 10-28-2013, 07:40 AM   #1
Crunko
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Missing thrust washers in open differential? HELP

Hello. I have taken the cover off my differential for the first time on my 94 wrangler. Axle is rear dana 35! The reason I took it off was because I was rebuilding the rear brakes and discovered diff fluid all over one side. The seal was shot. I removed the cross pin in the diff and the spider gears stayed in place. However, when i pushed in the axle shafts to remove c-clips... the 2 spider gears that the cross pin goes through fell out of place. I picked them up out of the bottom of the diff but cant find any thrust washers with them? Is it possible they are stuck in place somewhere or that they didn't have any in the first place? They diff functioned fine before.. with no noise... no chipped gear teeth... gear oil was nice looking when drained, despite having never opened it in my 2-3 years as owner. Please let me know what I should do about these thrust washers that seem to be missing... or do I not need them? Thanks!

Crunko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
Flajeeper1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Look carefully at the carrier they can have a tendency to stick to it.
Flajeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
Crunko
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I will check when I get home. I thought that this may be the case.... but just wanted to double check. Thanks for the reply
Crunko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.