Missing thermostat? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Missing thermostat?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 12-30-2001, 04:09 PM   #1
gasheadbox

Missing thermostat?

Felt that my 95YJ had a thermostat problem as the gauge barely went over 100 so I decided to replace it. When I took the housing off, to my suprise there was no thermostat to be seen just lots of sealant. Can anybody think why the previous owner decided not to spend $5 and replace it? A new one has gone in and works fine but it just seems so odd and concerns me that it may have been taken out to hide another problem. Any ideas?

gasheadbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2001, 04:20 PM   #2
glm 87 wrangler

Well what most likly happen was they had an over heating problem and found out it was the thermostat.So they pulled it out and went on there way.I have done this myself many times but I tell myself or if its not my car to install a new one when you get a chance.But i guess the person who own it before did not.
The thermo brings the jeep to operation temp quickly as possable and tries to maintain it
as best it can.But with out it,it puts too much water in the system and never gets to operating temp.But in an emerg.situation you can run without it.
Unread 12-30-2001, 10:44 PM   #3
SFM1AE2

I would install one asap. Without one your engine may be running hotter than you know. When your engine is at operating tempature the thermostat regulates the amount of coolant flow. Without one the coolant moves to quickly through the block to allow an exchange of heat from the block to the coolant to be disipated by the radiator. So while your guage reads 100 for coolant temp your block may be getting to hot causing long term damage. My 2 cents.
Unread 12-31-2001, 10:50 AM   #4
Big92Jeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

I would suggest a 160║ SuperStat from advanced auto parts!

~RýCK

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.