Missing at idle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Missing at idle

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 04-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
merrell056
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Missing at idle

Hi everyone. I recently bought a YJ with a weber carb. It has been nuttered. It had an exhaust leak so I pulled the manifolds and replaced the cracked exhaust manifold. I also pulled the valve cover to clean it and replace the valve cover gasket.

The problem I am having is that at idle the motor misses and dies. When revving it has no issues whatsoever. Here is the list of what I have done so far to try and fix it. I am at my wits end and hope you all can help me.

1. New distributor cap, rotor, plugs, and wires.
2. Checked all post nutter vacuum lines based on threads I have searched on these forums.
3. I have some extra electrical sitting in the engine compartment that I haven't had a chance to get to. It is all pre-nutter wiring.
4. Went through all 6 plugs and disconnected them all 1 by 1 and the missing was worse on each of them. No single plug seems to be the problem. Plus when i rev the motor it does not miss at all. It does when I revved with each of the spark plugs disconnected.

Could this be a problem with the EGR valve? Timing? I have been searching the forums for hours. Maybe I'm not searching for the right thing but I'm about to tear my hair out.

merrell056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

What were your latest compression test readings?

What is your vacuum at idle? Needle steady or moving?
Unread 04-03-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
merrell056
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old4X View Post
What were your latest compression test readings?

What is your vacuum at idle? Needle steady or moving?
I don't have the tools to test but I can get them. It idled just fine before I changed out the manifold.
Unread 04-03-2013, 02:52 PM   #4
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrell056 View Post
I don't have the tools to test but I can get them. It idled just fine before I changed out the manifold.
That really points to a vacuum leak
Unread 04-03-2013, 03:09 PM   #5
merrell056
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I will go over my vacuum work again.
Unread 04-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #6
merrell056
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I found that one of the distributor to CTO valve ports was broken on the CTO valve. Anyone know where I can find one? Dealership isn't answering, of course, and it doesn't seem to be anywhere on the local autopart stores' websites.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.