Mirrors when taking doors off, what do you do - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Mirrors when taking doors off, what do you do

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueECGS DOTW - $100 off Yukon 8.8 C-Clip Eliminator KitNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 04-12-2007, 11:46 AM   #1
dsslax13
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Mirrors when taking doors off, what do you do

Im looking to buy some side view mirrors for when i take my doors off for the summer, what ones do you use, I was looking at the cj style ones on jeep4x4center.com but i was just curious to see what you guys do and what looks best. Plus those would run me about 90 bucks. Any other cheap places to get some from?

dsslax13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2007, 11:52 AM   #2
blue1989yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

There are many options. You can get a trailer mirror and a bolt and nut and put it through the door hinge. I personally use an old motorcycle mirror in the door hinge. Takes me about two minutes to remove the door and pop in the mirror. I think there are also a few other ideas in the "Cheap tricks" section. When I get the funds I will probobly get the new windshield hinges and mount mirrors and lights there.
Unread 04-12-2007, 11:56 AM   #3
oros35

Bolted some stainless CJ mirrors to the windshield bracket. Run them all year round. Removed the ones from the hard doors. Was less than $90 too.

oros35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2007, 11:58 AM   #4
97bigxj

I bought these they worked out pretty well and only $35

http://www.quadratec.com/products/13011_02.htm
97bigxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2007, 01:12 PM   #5
dbguync

I used mirror relocation brackets, less than 20 bucks. They mount on the windshield frame and reuse the stock mirrors. Its a nice look. Search for "mirror relocation brackets". Alot of places carry them on line or in your local 4x4 shop.
Unread 04-12-2007, 01:22 PM   #6
2nd YJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Do they actully pull people over for that. I run with the doors off all the time, and never use any other mirror options. I live in Iowa, so maybe laws are more lax here.
Unread 04-12-2007, 01:27 PM   #7
alandchris
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I remember seeing somewhere about having a mirror that attaches to the rollbar part above the drivers head (close to the window) with velcro - like a grab handle does -
alandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2007, 01:44 PM   #8
NewdRiver_
1985 CJ7 

I've got CJ mirrors and I wouldn't recommend them for practicality (I have normal ones, but I wouldn't go with the upper hinge mount ones either). Jeep's aren't the smoothest running vehicles, and the mirrors shake so much that even at idle they are useless. It's the design, with the long hollow arms, and the surface area that the wind can take advantage of that's the issue. I have to adjust them everyday. They do look nice though, and solve the legality issue. I recommend getting some stainless hardware for them if you decide to go that route, as mine has rusted out over the winter.

I'm getting some stainless OEM-style mirrors (for some reason the metal bases on painted ones corrode very quickly) and some relocation brackets.

I do like the CJ mirrors on the trail though, mainly because the mirror face is massive and very directable. Just have to grab it for a second to steady it and make sure you don't have 20 rear tires. And they just fold back instead of breaking when you hit stuff .
NewdRiver_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2007, 01:48 PM   #9
klklett1

www.jeepit.com, Very cheap...very good! I have a pair and love them.
klklett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2007, 02:28 PM   #10
yJ rod

I just drive with out mirrors. "The man" doesn't really say much about stuff like that around here. Got to love that.

My Jeep is in the June issue of Petersens 4 wheel and off-road! Page 14 under Urban Wheeling.
[url]http://gallery.greatestjournal.com/albums/up7/271/1421271/normal_DSC01168.jpg[/url]
[B][SIZE="3"]Screw mud. Got rocks?[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT][/SIZE][/B]
yJ rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2007, 02:38 PM   #11
atomicmoose
Just call me Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by klklett1
www.jeepit.com, Very cheap...very good! I have a pair and love them.
I have a set of these as well. I love them!

you can see them in this pic:

And this one:
atomicmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2007, 02:44 PM   #12
Cannon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I did a mirror relocation bracket purchase, and grabbed some junk yard trailer mirrors. If you do the like, search on the torx nut issue when removing to windshield nuts to install (read heat). Since permanent, removed the stock mirrors off the hard doors and silcone sealed the holes.
Regret (untill I remind myself of the $$$) not having the relocation bracket with light bracket combo, but if had to do over, would still buy the same relocation bracket alone. (Unless you've mucho dinero, then KC makes a combo, waaaay to much $$$$ though).
'90YJ Hard & Soft w/Full Drs; 4.2 Rebuild w/ Webber, 30x10.5; Interstate MegatronII D34; Mods: Rock Guards; Hi Lift Inst; Herc'd Tub, Front & Under; Elev Rear Seat; Scty CntrConsole/ Overhead&Rear Boxes; KC Lights-Fr & Rear; PA Sys; Gauges; Int Lts; Batt/Alt Cable; Heater Mods; 8K Winch, KargoMaster Rack w/Yak Megawarrior Basket; Ground Lights (4);Dumped - Optima Yellow after only 4yrs
Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2007, 03:47 PM   #13
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I mad some mirror brackets using some L channel from home depot and got a set of cheapy motorcycle stem mount mirrors. they work very well and cost me about 10 bucks total

I have since changed out to black mirrors and re-done the brackets a bit now that i have a shop to work in and fab tools, but you get the basic idea
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2007, 03:51 PM   #14
Mitchness
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I've been able to get away with no mirrors around here pretty well, but I've become tired of actually having to crank my head all the way around to check my blindspot so I ordered some $25 relocation brackets off of eBay; should be here soon.

But now that I've seen those small, hinge-mount, round mirrors I wish I'd seen them first.
Mitchness is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2007, 04:30 PM   #15
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Go to this web site and check it out.

http://www.4x4xplor.com/doorless-mirror.html

I got my exact mirrors at Kragen for about $12 a piece.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.