mirrors - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > mirrors

WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation PackagesRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Steinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 03-26-2014, 10:40 AM   #1
mikes95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

mirrors

hi all. currently i have no mirrors on my jeep. have hard doors on now and will be doorless as soon as the weather improves. what im looking for is a mirror set that works with the full doors on or off. not looking for the ones that you slide into the door hinge when you have no doors. any products you all would recommend?
thanks for any help!

mikes95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2014, 10:50 AM   #2
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

What you want are CJ style mirrors that mount to the windshield hinge.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2014, 10:50 AM   #3
jaycal3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Just look for mirror relocation brackets on any of the jeep vendor sites like Morris, JCWhitney or Q-Tec... you could probably fab some too but at least seeing them will give you an idea.

KCCO no matter what life throws your way!
jaycal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2014, 12:38 PM   #4
mikes95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I saw the cj style ones that I believe smittybuilt made... Had a horrible review from a customer though
Unread 03-26-2014, 01:27 PM   #5
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I tend to avoid Smittybilt products myself, even though their low prices are really tempting. Some people just have an issue though with how the passenger side mirror is set up for the CJ. It is supposed to be set up to be observed through the windshield, not the passenger window. If you set it up to view from the passenger door the door will not be able to open all the way. Also, the passenger mirror is of limited use unless you put a stick-on wide angle mirror on it.

When I bought my YJ it had a side hinge mounted mirror like this

Worked as well as CJ style mirrors can, but I wanted front face hinge mounted mirrors.

I happen to have these Kentrol mirrors now. Fit well, use the factory YJ hinge bolt locations, and can be mounted on either the front face of the upper hinge (per instructions) or brackets rearranged to mount on the lower hinge so the windshield can be dropped and you can still have useable mirrors (like the CJ). Once tightened down they stay in place well.

The Kentrol mirrors are quality, but expensive. Like really stupid expensive. However, I had heard too many stories of aftermarket CJ hinges not being beefy like the factory hinges, and I wasn't up for drilling holes in my factory hinges, so I went with the Kentrol. To the dismay of my bank account, I haven't always made cost effective purchases for my Jeep.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2014, 01:37 PM   #6
diesel89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, don't go with the cj style, my jeep had them when I got it, all they were good for is passing inspection, lol. I'm currently in the process of redoing my dash, windshield/ firewall due to rust, so I got the rugged ridge relocation brackets for the half door mirrors, they look better and hopefully won't flop around like the CJ mirrors did.

14 Ram 2500 4x4 cummins 6 speed manual :)
diesel89yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2014, 05:55 PM   #7
mikes95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well that's the thing. Having no mirrors at all it seemed really expensive to get the mirrors for hard doors then buying the relocation brackets. Seeing as though I'm a broke college kid I'm looking for the cheapest option lol
Unread 03-26-2014, 09:04 PM   #8
Matt The Hammer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Grab used mirrors. If you ask around- you'd find that many jeep parts guys have these just laying around.

The brackets are cheap.

Sent from my rotary phone using JeepForum

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.