Middle of doing rear brakes... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Middle of doing rear brakes...

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 04-10-2010, 07:46 AM   #1
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Middle of doing rear brakes...

Finished the passenger side, adjusted the star wheel all the way in and fitted the drum. No problem. Went to finish up the driver side, adjusted the start wheel all the way in, but the shoes still do not compact enough to get the drum on. I can get the drum to go over the shoes, but its so tight I have to PUSH it on, and they drag severely. Am I missing something?

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2010, 09:03 AM   #2
Roadyy

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Did you check the [position of the shoes to the wheel cylinder? you may not have it set in rite causing it to be bulged out. Go back and check to make sure everything is lined up and connected properly. If must take passenger side back apart and compare the two. Piece by piece.
Roadyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2010, 12:18 PM   #3
djsmith1174
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The last time I rebuilt my rear brakes, I had the same problem. It turns out the e-brake cable had seized in the locked position on that side. It turned out to be an absolute bear to get that side off so I could replace the cable and rebuild the brakes. That may not be your problem, but you can look underneath at the e-brake cable junction point and verify that both cables are releasing freely. If they are, you may just have a spring that slipped off or contact points that aren't aligning correctly. Hope this helps with your rebuild.
djsmith1174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'll be taking both sides apart tonight and checking everything out. I replaced both rear e-brake cables with the rebuild, so they should be OK, but I'll look at that too. Thanks for the ideas so far.

White '94 YJ Sport

Unread 04-11-2010, 12:46 PM   #5
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I broke out the calipers today and measured the thickness of the pads because when I took apart both sides the driver side looked to have thicker pads, and indeed both are quite a bit thicker than the passenger side.

The first thought I had was the shoe that is actuated by the parking brake is thicker than the front shoe. Is this true?

White '94 YJ Sport

Unread 04-11-2010, 01:07 PM   #6
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Wow massive fail. The parking brake shoes are HUGE compared to the other 2. I put both parking brake shoes on the driver side.

White '94 YJ Sport

Unread 04-11-2010, 02:14 PM   #7
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Wow massive fail. The parking brake shoes are HUGE compared to the other 2. I put both parking brake shoes on the driver side.
There is no 'parking brake shoe'. The normal brakes get activated either by the hydraulics (brake pedal) or the mechanical (parking brake pedal). One shoe of each type goes on each side. The big one is usually forward so it forces against the fixed post when stopping going forward.
Unread 04-11-2010, 04:29 PM   #8
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
There is no 'parking brake shoe'. The normal brakes get activated either by the hydraulics (brake pedal) or the mechanical (parking brake pedal). One shoe of each type goes on each side. The big one is usually forward so it forces against the fixed post when stopping going forward.
Wouldn't the rear pad be forced against the post when driving forward? When rotating forward the rear pad would grab the drum and rotate up/forward where the post is. This is how I have the pads setup now.

White '94 YJ Sport

Unread 04-11-2010, 04:49 PM   #9
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Wouldn't the rear pad be forced against the post when driving forward?
Yes, I forgot the post is on the top (got rid of my D35 years ago).
Unread 04-11-2010, 05:41 PM   #10
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Wait... are you saying there are different size shoes in a replacement box???

I am nearing the end of my rebuild. I have replaced all my brake components front and rear and noticed my passenger side drum will not turn by hand but my drivers side will. I guess I did the same thing and put both thicker shoes on one side. Is this the cause? If so, I hope I can get that drum off because it's on TIGHT.

johnboy68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2010, 06:05 PM   #11
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy68 View Post
Wait... are you saying there are different size shoes in a replacement box???
I'm sorry for not remembering exactly for your vehicle, even though it's mine too. I must have done 100+ drum brake jobs since I got my drivers license 48 yrs ago, and only one of those was for my YJ, in the yrs before the discs.

It's not that tough, there are two of everything in the box, no matter what they are. Just make two identical piles of all the parts, put one pile on each side of the Jeep, then make them fit in the drum . It can be very possible there are two different size shoes on one side of the vehicle.
Unread 04-11-2010, 07:50 PM   #12
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds to me like you did the same thing I did. I could get the drum on but it was so tight I couldn't turn it by hand, until I got the tire on. It was late at night so I just threw it together til I could get back in there to figure it out. (I definitely did not drive the jeep that way)

White '94 YJ Sport

Unread 04-12-2010, 03:58 AM   #13
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Don & UltimatE,

I'll take mine apart sometime this week and see what's up. The issue has been bugging me since I put them together but with everything else I have been doing to the Jeep I just haven't taken the time to go back and take a look at it.

I have plenty of experience with drum brakes as well. I drove a 72 VW Super Beetle 100 miles a day for years back in the 90's and it had 4 drum brakes.

Anyway, I'm glad you posted this Ultimate because I would have driven it this way thinking that side just needed to seat in.

johnboy68 is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.