Michael's SOA finished! LOTS of PICS!! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Michael's SOA finished! LOTS of PICS!!

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdGear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 10-16-2007, 06:49 AM   #31
crosschecker
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_94YJ
Also my speedometer doesn't work now that i installed the SYE.. I put the new gear plastic thing on the new shaft and it's plugged in but no speedo? Any ideas?

Check the orientation of the module that the gear plugs in to, it may not be oriented correctly in the SYE for the gear you have in there. There are 4 possible orientations.

'96 ZJ 5.2 Limited
crosschecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2007, 06:54 AM   #32
Michael_94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Hey thanks everyone! I picked up some Neapco joints yesterday (no one sells Spicer)but i haven't had time to put them in yet.
I'll try turning my speedometer around to see if that makes it work, i did put the plastic gear on the output shaft btw. I hope i'm not chewing my gear up :
Joe, i don't know what else to do besides stretch the wheelbase (out of the question at the moment), transfer case drop (ugly), or motor mount lift. I'm thinking the latter is my best choice.
Full widths? That is my next project, i've got them in the back yard waiting for new bearings, seals, gears, and disc brakes. and steering for the d44. Any advice to some good rebuild kits are welcome. I'm going with Timken bearings if that matters. Bigger tires? Those will be purchased as well. I'm thinking in the 39-44" range... I will keep my eyes peeled for a deal, as i always do. These 35's don't look as bad as i thought they would. It looks better in person for some reason, maybe because my pictures suck...
here's another
flowmaster,15x12 wheels & 35x15 TSLs, sway bar discos, 3.5" leaves SOA + shackles, 2" body lift, JB steering bracket, SYE, M.O.R.E. anti-wrap bar, Bilsteins 5125s up front & BDS Hydros out back, axles in the works
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...y/Image075.jpg
Michael_94YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2007, 07:37 AM   #33
superjoe

the best place i found for rebuild kits and gears was http://completeoffroad.com/

good luck!
()_) ()_)----)_)
superjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2007, 06:40 AM   #34
Michael_94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Just wanted to update that my speedometer gear that plugs into the SYE housing was 180 degrees off (there are 4 possible ways for it to go). This explains why it wasn't working. If you look at the speedo gear, one side of it is closer to the outer diameter of the plastic speedo housing. That part butts up against the shaft inside the transfer case (towards the red arrow). Just in case someone else is having the same problem i had...this is how mine worked. thanks guys
flowmaster,15x12 wheels & 35x15 TSLs, sway bar discos, 3.5" leaves SOA + shackles, 2" body lift, JB steering bracket, SYE, M.O.R.E. anti-wrap bar, Bilsteins 5125s up front & BDS Hydros out back, axles in the works
Unread 10-18-2007, 07:01 AM   #35
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Michael,

Setup looks good.
Don't let anyone bash on you for getting high!

I have been considering SOA with 2" springs and now that I have seen your setup I am sold. One day in the future for me.

I am just up the road in Statesboro. We will have to get together sometime.
I would love some input from you on your experience installing the lift and SYE.

Patrick

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2007, 07:12 AM   #36
Michael_94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus87gn
Michael,

Setup looks good.
Don't let anyone bash on you for getting high!

I have been considering SOA with 2" springs and now that I have seen your setup I am sold. One day in the future for me.

I am just up the road in Statesboro. We will have to get together sometime.
I would love some input from you on your experience installing the lift and SYE.

Patrick
Most definitely! This set-up isn't ideal for rock crawling but I LOVE being high!!! I'm ready for the axle swap! Now i just have to figure out some sort of step set-up. I've been going from tire to step to inside and i look pretty goofy doing that. I was thinking of an automatic step that came down when the door opened and retracted when the door shut.. I have a crazy mind for things like that, so i'm sure i'll come up with something. You'll have to shoot me a pm when you get ready to do yours. I'd be more than happy to help out. It always helps when someone has done it before. I graduated from GSU and worked at 180 Fitness when i was going to school so I still go back from time to time so hit me up!
Unread 10-18-2007, 07:26 AM   #37
Floatsum
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for posting all the photos!
Been considering a SOA and just not convinced it's for me at this time.
Like what I've seen and have a better idea of what I maybe getting into.
Normally I'm anti - BL (and I have one on now ) but for some reason, I think it just looks right on yours.
Again, thanks.

PS; on your last photo, is the front higher than the rear or is it camera angle or something?
Floatsum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2007, 07:37 AM   #38
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Most definitely! This set-up isn't ideal for rock crawling but I LOVE being high!!! I'm ready for the axle swap! Now i just have to figure out some sort of step set-up. I've been going from tire to step to inside and i look pretty goofy doing that. I was thinking of an automatic step that came down when the door opened and retracted when the door shut.. I have a crazy mind for things like that, so i'm sure i'll come up with something. You'll have to shoot me a pm when you get ready to do yours. I'd be more than happy to help out. It always helps when someone has done it before. I graduated from GSU and worked at 180 Fitness when i was going to school so I still go back from time to time so hit me up!
Oh you're joking! I live right down the road from that (now remodeled) shopping center. You have probably seen me driving around.

Yes, I could use an experienced hand if I can pull it off my meself. Same me lots of $$ compared to getting Salvage to do it. Good guys, but they are eXpensive. He's fixing up my TC right now.

I'll shoot you a PM before too long.

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
Unread 10-18-2007, 08:46 AM   #39
Michael_94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floatsum
Thanks for posting all the photos!
Been considering a SOA and just not convinced it's for me at this time.
Like what I've seen and have a better idea of what I maybe getting into.
Normally I'm anti - BL (and I have one on now ) but for some reason, I think it just looks right on yours.
Again, thanks.

PS; on your last photo, is the front higher than the rear or is it camera angle or something?
The only reason i like the BL is because it gives a little more room between the drivetrain and body and makes it a little easier to work on IMO. I put it on a few years back. I think the front and the rear are exactly the same height, it must just be the camera angle. IIRC, I think i've got ~12" between tire and fender on all corners

Quote:
Oh you're joking! I live right down the road from that (now remodeled) shopping center. You have probably seen me driving around.

Yes, I could use an experienced hand if I can pull it off my meself. Same me lots of $$ compared to getting Salvage to do it. Good guys, but they are eXpensive. He's fixing up my TC right now.

I'll shoot you a PM before too long.
nope! i lived right around the corner too, left at the first light on Zetterower. Yeah just let me know when you're working on it and i don't mind helping out.

Quick list of some (not so normal) tools that help out:
Impact, snap ring pliers, needle bearing puller (or hammer and pick in my case) 3/8" flare wrenches, pitman arm puller, 33mm socket, wratcheting wrenches (for removing tc), possible flare kit, 1/2" course tap and 27/64" titanium drill bit (if you are using the jb4x4 bracket), etc..
Unread 10-18-2007, 08:53 AM   #40
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
needle bearing puller (or hammer and pick in my case), possible flare kit.
Only ones I don't have.

Holley Carb thread
Unread 10-18-2007, 09:02 AM   #41
Michael_94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Only ones I don't have.
well they're not necessary, i used a pick and hammer to *carefully* beat/tap the bearings out since i won't be re-using them. And i used inline couplers (PN 43375 at parts stores) and 12" x 3/16" hard line extensions from Advance. But only because i will be re-doing my brakes when i swap axles. It works flawlessly though.
Unread 10-18-2007, 09:18 AM   #42
93jeepREDSOX
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I must say that your jeep looks really good, those tires even though they are only 35's(I think that is what you said they were) have such a good look to them that they make the jeep seem proportional. Maybe it is just me. Even if people think it is too far up in the air, it will definetly turn heads, and the work you put into that is amazing. Got any flex pics yet, or still working out some bugs.
1993 YJ 4" RE lift, 1/2" shackles, AA SYE Kit, 33x12.50 Trxus M/T, Warn bumbers front and rear, Warn M8000 winch, 4 Hella fog lights, Magnaflow cat, flowmaster muffler with no tailpipe, herced tub, tj flares

HOW BOUT THEM REDSOX

My Rigrator score 535RRv1.0 BOA 25
93jeepREDSOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2007, 09:35 AM   #43
Michael_94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks! Yeah they're 35x15's on 12" wide wheels. I think they just do fall into the lower end of the proportional category, i think the wide rim helps. It definitely turns heads! Still working out a few quirks, but flex pix will come. I'm replacing the u-joints on the double cardan side of my drive shaft this weekend (should have don't it before i installed the drive shaft) and i need to notch my TC crossmember in the front so the front drive shaft will have room and i may need to have it lengthened. Then i will officially be done... until the axle swap.
Unread 10-18-2007, 12:10 PM   #44
doug_1994
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good Michael. Its nice working on a jeep with Dad.

I wouldn't worry about your fifth link mount. I've been beating on mine for almost three years now with forties grippin' and a 200:1 crawl ratio. Hasn't ripped yet.

Don't BDS springs stretch out the wheelbase?

Doug

Homebrewed, but about the same as yours.
100_0176.jpg

Plato
doug_1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2007, 04:53 PM   #45
FarrellX
1999 XJ Cherokee 

i like it. i have the same tires waiting to go on my rig in the spring. i was gunna go with a 10" rim, but a few questions...why did you decide on a 12" rim? how do you like it? and whast the BS on those?

Mine 1999 XJ
SOLD Hers 1999 XJ 2", 31" MTs
R.I.P. 88 YJ 6 1/2", 36" Iroks, '99 4.0, etc. etc.
FarrellX is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.