metal dash backing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > metal dash backing

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 08-24-2009, 08:00 PM   #1
CostaRicaJeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

metal dash backing

I just folded the window down and RUST all over the metal dash backing (and newly broken window hinge). I've ordered the window hinges, but I've been looking on the internet for a new (or used) dash backing, and can't seem to find one. Anyone know where I can get one?

CostaRicaJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2009, 10:47 PM   #2
rodneyt
1987 YJ Wrangler 

dash

i just through one away i held it for a few months and thought that no one is going to want this so i chucked it.you should check out a recking yard or somr thing in that area good luck
rodneyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2009, 04:31 AM   #3
Dislsmoke
1985 CJ7 

no one makes them, you could find one in a salvage yard or just do a flat dash.

Custom Dashs built to your specs dbldfab@gmail.com
website. http://sites.google.com/site/doubledfab/
Dislsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2009, 09:00 AM   #4
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

They pop up on ebay every now and then. Mine was the same way and I ended up doing a cj7 dash swap, much cheaper and easier to find a replacement stock part though.
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2009, 09:17 AM   #5
mazyj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

i just found a rust free one at a junkyard, if you do go this route make sure to get any rust off of it and also consider coating it in some undercoating like i did, this will keep it from rusting and actually eliminates any rattling and noise from it, makes the whole dash feel more solid now. Good Luck, and BTW i paid $25 for mine from a bone-yard.

EDIT - also keep in mind there are slight differences between the model years, i believe the major one to be the speedo/tach gauges are different when they switched to a digital speed sensor from the transfer case. Mine is the old school mechanical speedo wire and my gauges were not a direct fit, i actually just had to drill a few holes and it wasn't a big deal at all but good to know none the less.
Unread 08-25-2009, 09:56 AM   #6
bryris
1995 YJ Wrangler 

How do you spot said dash backing? I've had my window down before and only see the plastic backing behind the defrost.
Unread 08-25-2009, 10:00 AM   #7
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Theres a handful of torx bolts up there that bolt it down to the body tub. Its behind the plastic but you can see where it overlaps the tub. Itll be pretty obvious if its rotten back there with the windshield folded down. I found out how bad mine was when I went to change the cowl seal.
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2009, 11:20 AM   #8
BlueTorch

Its no help but we toss them out when doing a YJ build. I dont have anything coming up soon or I would save you one. Like mentioned above try a salvage yard.

Dan DuBose

Check out our Facebook fan page!
www.facebook.com/bluetorchfab
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
BlueTorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2009, 03:27 PM   #9
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Since you are in God's land, Costa Rica I would guess that finding replacement used parts is hard. Plus getting one shipped is taking a chance.

What I did with mine was to template the holes on the old piece then grind all of the rust off. Next step is to weld replacement metal onto the lip. Paint, then you have a new part. Very easy and quick. In fact much quicker than shipping and waiting. If you do bad work, don't worry no one will see it.

Good luck.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.