Merc in a YJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Merc in a YJ?

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 02-02-2009, 08:25 PM   #1
CreepyCrawler95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Merc in a YJ?

has anybody ever heard of putting a Mercruiser 270 4cyl. in a YJ my dad suggested it because of its high torque. its a marine engine and apparently has the same tranny bolt pattern as a chevy.

CreepyCrawler95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2009, 08:41 PM   #2
mattman320
1995 YJ Wrangler 

never heard of it, that is a massive 4cylt though so i would think it would be a torque monster, would be interesting.
Unread 02-02-2009, 08:56 PM   #3
CreepyCrawler95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

yea my dad suggested it for the torque mainly. another plus is it has over twice the horsepower than the 2.5 stock motor. not that it really matters how much hp ive got but i do like to get my jeep up to speed faster than an oldschool VW bus haha
Unread 02-02-2009, 08:58 PM   #4
paccepounder
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Creepy crawler, Iam in Wilmington too. I am sure I can be of absolutely no assistance at all..lol. But I would love to see it if you go through with this.
paccepounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2009, 08:59 PM   #5
jgillespie
1991 YJ Wrangler 

if you are going to put in the work for a swap, and need torque, i would just go with a 350 swap

Originally posted by Crazyquadder:
Quote:
a 6 foot puddle is approx half way up my doors
jgillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2009, 09:02 PM   #6
tuckinauster
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Most marine engines are made to run at a considerably low RPM range too. IIRC anything over 4k RPMS can damage the engine. I had a buddy blow up his MERC 350 from overspeeding it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.J. O'rouke
"The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Itís a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."
tuckinauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2009, 09:05 PM   #7
CreepyCrawler95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

ooow...well maybe i should just swap a 350 in lol and rebuild for torque. im just trying to avoid the amount of money spent.

paccepounder do u ever 4wheel across from mayfaire. i heard they put cameras and the cops patrol like mad now over there. i havent taken my rig out there in a good while.
Unread 02-02-2009, 09:06 PM   #8
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

If you used that motor, you'd almost be obligated to have one of those spinning propellers hanging off your rear bumper.

Dunno about the real answers, though. Weight, low-end torque (a prop spinning in the water has built-in slip), gas mileage, not to mention all the usual problems associated with a motor swap.

Interesting idea, but I gotta think some redneck with an old boat and a broke jeep has tried a swap of this sort, somewhere, sometime. I knew a guy once who made a boat V-8 into a water pump--- 4 pistons ran the motor, 4 pistons pumped the water. No idea how long it lasted...
Unread 02-02-2009, 09:09 PM   #9
jgillespie
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepyCrawler95 View Post
im just trying to avoid the amount of money spent.
there will be lots of expenses with any swap, other than a straight replacement swap of the same engine. even then things can get tricky. if you do any swap, plan on lots of annoying things that you either forget, or go wrong.

Originally posted by Crazyquadder:
Quote:
a 6 foot puddle is approx half way up my doors
jgillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2009, 10:52 PM   #10
badhabit1
2011 ZJ 

It's been a few years since reading about this engine, but fairly sure merc had a few problems with this motor. The block was of their design, and I think it used a cylinder head from the ford 460. Sorry, but I don't remember the exact issues they had, but it was only used for a few years. As far as boat motors built for low rpms, I disagree. Most cars run down the highway in overdrive at 70 mph, turning what, 2500 rpms? Give or take. A boat, which is working much harder (more friction) might be doing 25 mph at same rpm. Depending on the prop pitch. My last boat ran wide open about 52 mph at just over 5200 rpm. This was merc's max recommended rpm level. Mercruiser builds their short blocks pretty stout. How many hours did this motor have on it when it "blew up" ? What was the rpm's when he was "overspeeding it" ?
Unread 02-02-2009, 11:17 PM   #11
TheRobster
1997 ZJ 

I want to put the motor from this into my jeep:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_300D

http://jeepyjwrangler.blogspot.com/
TheRobster is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.