Melted Ignition Switch. Now what? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Melted Ignition Switch. Now what?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 12-30-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
Nubbs

Melted Ignition Switch. Now what?

I have a 90 4.2 and this morning the ignition switch went bad. I had started the jeep just fine and than during warm up it died. When I turned the key again nothing happened. The accessory lights would flash on real quick but thats it. No radio no nothing.

I went to replace it and found the black plug melted into the old switch. After freeing it I can see that a good part of it is pretty melted and so is one of the wires coming out of the plug. I cleaned up the plug as best I could and plugged it into the new switch. Now I have nothing at all. No power to anything. The headlight/dash lights will not even power on. I am at a total loss as wiring is far from a strong suit of mine.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

TIA

I did a search and only came up with melted headlight switches and melted rotors.

Nubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2011, 02:17 PM   #2
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

check for bad fuses if you have no power.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2011, 02:30 PM   #3
Nubbs

All the fuses are good.
Unread 12-30-2011, 03:40 PM   #4
40dog
1988 YJ Wrangler 

if the head lights don't come on.i think you are not getting power before the key switch. check the wire connections at the power distribution center under the hood.next to the battery. i all most forgot remove clean and reinstall the battery terminals.this should be done first before chasing any electrical problems.did you test the old ignition slide switch with a ohm meter before replacing?
40dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2011, 04:05 PM   #5
Nubbs

I did clean the battery terminals and make sure the batt had a good charge. I did not check the old switch before removing it. I will check for power next to the battery.

Thanx
Unread 12-30-2011, 04:21 PM   #6
40dog
1988 YJ Wrangler 

do the brake lights work? Do you have a power distribution center next to the battery with the big maxi fuses. if not then it will have fusible links for short protection.
Unread 12-30-2011, 05:34 PM   #7
Nubbs

I will check the brake lights on my way out. I do not think I have any maxi fuses that I remember. I have 2 relays and 2 some type of diagnostic plugs next to the battery.
Unread 12-30-2011, 05:52 PM   #8
40dog
1988 YJ Wrangler 

you probably have a fried fusible link then.open your manual look up the fusible links.
Unread 12-31-2011, 02:41 PM   #9
Nubbs

I just tried the brakes and they do not work either. Seems like I have now lost all power to the jeep. I will look to see if I can find a PDF of the manual and start following the power flow.
Unread 12-31-2011, 03:11 PM   #10
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

X2 with 40Dog, you burned a fuseable link on the starter solinoid on the firewall.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #11
Nubbs

I am going to try to get that replaced tomorrow and see how things go. Thanks for the help guys.
Unread 01-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #12
40dog
1988 YJ Wrangler 

before you change anythging.check the positive connection at the firewall.if you follow the medium sized red wire from the battery terminal to the fire wall. there is a stud connection there.remove the nut and clean all the wire ring connections .Those connectiona are all the fuse link connections and the stud is the main power to the jeep itself .all power runs thru there except the starter power comes from the larger red positive cable from the bat.im describing this from looking at my 1988 yj yours may be different.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.