MC2150 + HEI Upgrade Makes Moose Happy - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > MC2150 + HEI Upgrade Makes Moose Happy

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.comAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 06-20-2006, 02:06 PM   #61
wraithyjeep

are you nuttered yet?
the emissions computer controls your timing still if your not
and seeing how you have disconected a bunch of things that relate to the carter feed back carb this could be part of your problem.

89 YJ, 4.2, 5 speed, 2" lift, 235 75 r 15 M/T. CRT's HEI, MC2150 1.08, OBA, 120V inverter. removable Light bar, 10 hella lamps, trail rack w/ jerry cans, champion winch, high lift jack, C.B., lined tub. H4 Conversion headlamps, reveiw mirror w map lights. royal blue with matching trailer.

[URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/vbgooglemapme.php?lat=44.15185125207628&lng=-77.65274047851562&zoom=8]My location[/URL]
wraithyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2006, 02:10 PM   #62
atomicmoose
Just call me Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraithyjeep
are you nuttered yet?
the emissions computer controls your timing still if your not
and seeing how you have disconected a bunch of things that relate to the carter feed back carb this could be part of your problem.
Nutter. DUN.
atomicmoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2006, 11:22 PM   #63
ltdanyj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Moose, what did you end up finding?
ltdanyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2006, 12:01 AM   #64
atomicmoose
Just call me Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltdanyj
Moose, what did you end up finding?
Well, life has gotten in the way of late. Haven't had much time to work on her. I will update once I get a solution.
Unread 07-24-2006, 03:09 PM   #65
atomicmoose
Just call me Moose

Alright, got some time this weekend and found a bind in the throttle linkage. Seems to have fixed the problem. Now, I just have to get a vacuum gauge so I can tune it.

The HEI install is now on deck. I decided the next project should be a fun one, (Had enough frustration with this one) so I decided to install my LED tail lights. Looking good so far.
Unread 07-24-2006, 04:48 PM   #66
GiggityJeep

moose I have been scanning htis post have you got it all running now I have just bought the M/C today as me 90 YJ is basically not running and im tired of screwing with it, please post pics or email to me when you done, that would be awsome.... I will be doing this prolly next week, already nuttered and if that was the hardest part as someone said in here somewhere then thigs should be good but like you all the vacuum crap confuses me greatly, wanting to know how it runs...
GiggityJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2006, 09:39 PM   #67
atomicmoose
Just call me Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiggityJeep
moose I have been scanning htis post have you got it all running now I have just bought the M/C today as me 90 YJ is basically not running and im tired of screwing with it, please post pics or email to me when you done, that would be awsome.... I will be doing this prolly next week, already nuttered and if that was the hardest part as someone said in here somewhere then thigs should be good but like you all the vacuum crap confuses me greatly, wanting to know how it runs...
I really went with a minimal approach. All vacuum lines are gone with the exception of the vacuum advance on the distributor, and the PCV lines.

Here are some pics of my progress:

She is running good so far. Hell, she stays running at idle. That in itself is an improvement. I still have to adjust the timing and tune the carb and then do a road test, but I am happy so far.

If you have any specific questions once you start, just holler. I will do my best to answer questions and there are a few guys on the board here who are very helpful and have done this swap.
Unread 07-27-2006, 04:28 PM   #68
wraithyjeep

well moose how is it?
I have a HEI kit coming next week.
time to get rid of more wires!
tear the 2 computers and wires and looms.
TFI was good but just doesn't seem great I have a stumble at cruising in 5th with little power and when I adjust the timing to get the top end power back I get a lot of pre-ingniton spark knock so the HEI kit I ordered has adjustable vacuum advance built into it.
cheers
89 YJ, 4.2, 5 speed, 2" lift, 235 75 r 15 M/T. CRT's HEI, MC2150 1.08, OBA, 120V inverter. removable Light bar, 10 hella lamps, trail rack w/ jerry cans, champion winch, high lift jack, C.B., lined tub. H4 Conversion headlamps, reveiw mirror w map lights. royal blue with matching trailer.

[URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/vbgooglemapme.php?lat=44.15185125207628&lng=-77.65274047851562&zoom=8]My location[/URL]
Unread 07-28-2006, 02:17 AM   #69
atomicmoose
Just call me Moose

Quote:
well moose how is it?
I have a HEI kit coming next week.
time to get rid of more wires!
tear the 2 computers and wires and looms.
TFI was good but just doesn't seem great I have a stumble at cruising in 5th with little power and when I adjust the timing to get the top end power back I get a lot of pre-ingniton spark knock so the HEI kit I ordered has adjustable vacuum advance built into it.
cheers
She puuuuurss...and I didn't even out the HEI in yet. Can't wait to get to that part.
Unread 08-10-2006, 10:43 AM   #70
atomicmoose
Just call me Moose

Quick question....

What port on the carb did you run to the vacuum for the front axle disconnect?

Thanks!
Unread 08-10-2006, 11:18 AM   #71
wraithyjeep

manifold vacuum

off the intake manifold

if you run ported then at wide open throttle there is a chance that your axle will disconnect.

Unread 08-10-2006, 11:46 AM   #72
atomicmoose
Just call me Moose

Quote:
manifold vacuum

off the intake manifold

if you run ported then at wide open throttle there is a chance that your axle will disconnect.
the intake manifold vacuum ports is that cluster of 5 right beneath the carb, correct?
Unread 08-16-2006, 09:24 AM   #73
atomicmoose
Just call me Moose

Just an update:

Had her out wheeling at Rausch this past weekend and had a great time! The carb performed flawlessly even on steep inclines. Couldn't ask for anything more. Can wait to get the HEI installed for some more power. That would be my only complaint, it needs more power, but I may be able to attain this with some more tweaking and the HEI.

As a side note, the manual choke is a nice addition and doubles as auto throttle quite nicely.

Hoping to start the HEI soon.
Unread 08-16-2006, 09:49 AM   #74
wraithyjeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicmoose
Just an update:

Had her out wheeling at Rausch this past weekend and had a great time! The carb performed flawlessly even on steep inclines. Couldn't ask for anything more. Can wait to get the HEI installed for some more power. That would be my only complaint, it needs more power, but I may be able to attain this with some more tweaking and the HEI.

As a side note, the manual choke is a nice addition and doubles as auto throttle quite nicely.

Hoping to start the HEI soon.
YA got my mc2150 working dreat and my HEI works good now too, manual choke is nice I like it. I will be adding a hand throttle though. just another item I have found that I could use in some situations to keep the revs up and to prevent having to turn the key and able to brake and clutch and move forward all in one shot would be worth it to have.

Unread 08-16-2006, 09:52 AM   #75
atomicmoose
Just call me Moose

Quote:
YA got my mc2150 working dreat and my HEI works good now too, manual choke is nice I like it. I will be adding a hand throttle though. just another item I have found that I could use in some situations to keep the revs up and to prevent having to turn the key and able to brake and clutch and move forward all in one shot would be worth it to have.
Hand throttle is still in my future as well.... just nice to be able to use the choke as well to keep the revs up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.