MC2150 + HEI Upgrade Makes Moose Happy - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > MC2150 + HEI Upgrade Makes Moose Happy

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 06-13-2006, 03:12 PM   #31
atomicmoose
Just call me Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraithyjeep
you need just a vacum line to your dizzy off of ported either on the front or pass side of carb.
you need a manifold sorce from the manifold to the red 4x4 line
chuck everything else
So....not all of these lines are going to be used? Should they just be capped and forgotten?

atomicmoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2006, 08:19 PM   #32
drexelsteve
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicmoose
So....not all of these lines are going to be used? Should they just be capped and forgotten?
yup
Unread 06-14-2006, 09:27 AM   #33
atomicmoose
Just call me Moose

Ok, I did some more reading last night and I think I understand a bit better where things go. I was just under the impression that all of the ports on the carb needed to be used.
Unread 06-15-2006, 02:43 PM   #34
atomicmoose
Just call me Moose

Trying to fire this thing up....having trouble getting it to start.

How can I prime this thing? It is definately a lack of fuel keeping it from starting.
Unread 06-15-2006, 03:05 PM   #35
atomicmoose
Just call me Moose

ok, got her running but idle is crazy high....like around 4000 rpm.

Is this just an idle screw adjustment or is something up??
Unread 06-16-2006, 08:16 AM   #36
atomicmoose
Just call me Moose

No one??
Unread 06-16-2006, 08:39 AM   #37
King03Kev
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Hey, just a thought, have you rechecked for any open vacuum lines and made sure mounting hardware and caskets are snug. Sounds like it could be sucking air, most of these carbs come somewhat preset, at least my Weber was. Is linkage freed up, I just remembered I had to put on a stiffer spring for throttle return.
kevyj87 '87 I6 5spd, 215,000+ miles, Herced, Nuttered, Weber, HEI, RE 4", 1" BL, 4:11's, np231, 33x12.5's, SYE & shaft, 1" brown dog mm, home made bumpers front & rear, Ramsey 8,000lb winch
King03Kev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2006, 09:15 AM   #38
atomicmoose
Just call me Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by King03Kev
Hey, just a thought, have you rechecked for any open vacuum lines and made sure mounting hardware and caskets are snug. Sounds like it could be sucking air, most of these carbs come somewhat preset, at least my Weber was. Is linkage freed up, I just remembered I had to put on a stiffer spring for throttle return.
Bolts and gaskets are snug! Although I do need to get some starter fluid and check for leaks under the carb.

I think it may be a vacuum problem....just not sure where.

Also, I forgot to put the gasket back in the choke assembly....ooops! Would that cause this?
Unread 06-16-2006, 01:42 PM   #39
atomicmoose
Just call me Moose

Which port did you guys plug your PCV into?
Unread 06-16-2006, 02:02 PM   #40
wraithyjeep

big one around back of the carb near the base near the mounting bolt on driver side rear of the carb.
if there isn't one there drill and jb weld some 3/8 copper pipe in.
89 YJ, 4.2, 5 speed, 2" lift, 235 75 r 15 M/T. CRT's HEI, MC2150 1.08, OBA, 120V inverter. removable Light bar, 10 hella lamps, trail rack w/ jerry cans, champion winch, high lift jack, C.B., lined tub. H4 Conversion headlamps, reveiw mirror w map lights. royal blue with matching trailer.

[URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/vbgooglemapme.php?lat=44.15185125207628&lng=-77.65274047851562&zoom=8]My location[/URL]
wraithyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2006, 02:04 PM   #41
atomicmoose
Just call me Moose

No, it's there and I have it plugged in there....when I removed the hose from that port to see why it was idling so high, you can hear that port sucking major air. I put my finger over it and the engine started to die, remove finger and it races again.

I can't pinpoint this high idle problem. I have to be missing something stupid.
Unread 06-16-2006, 02:14 PM   #42
wraithyjeep

is your butterflys closed all the way your idle screw backed all the way off and your high idle off or unscrewed.
then check to see if your butter flys are closed all the way push against the throttle to see if ya can get it to idle lower.
it may be the throttle plates are out of alignement and and it's keep your throttle partly open
89 YJ, 4.2, 5 speed, 2" lift, 235 75 r 15 M/T. CRT's HEI, MC2150 1.08, OBA, 120V inverter. removable Light bar, 10 hella lamps, trail rack w/ jerry cans, champion winch, high lift jack, C.B., lined tub. H4 Conversion headlamps, reveiw mirror w map lights. royal blue with matching trailer.

[URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/vbgooglemapme.php?lat=44.15185125207628&lng=-77.65274047851562&zoom=8]My location[/URL]
Unread 06-16-2006, 02:28 PM   #43
atomicmoose
Just call me Moose

Quote:
is your butterflys closed all the way your idle screw backed all the way off and your high idle off or unscrewed.
then check to see if your butter flys are closed all the way push against the throttle to see if ya can get it to idle lower.
it may be the throttle plates are out of alignement and and it's keep your throttle partly open
I should remove the high idle screw?

My instructions said to turn both idle screws clockwise until they can't go anymore and then back them out 2 full turns.

Perhaps a few tips on tuning this thing would be good. I am a n00b when it comes to carbs.

I will check the buttleflys when I get home.
Unread 06-16-2006, 02:54 PM   #44
wraithyjeep

you confusing idle screws for idle mixture screws
the fast idle screw on the pass. side of carb with all the choke linkage and stuff there, smaller screw, that when cold that fast idle screw sits on steps of the fast idle cam.

on the driver side is a screw that pushes on the throttle plate that is your (curb) idle screw this should for the most part be barely scewed in. it is a larger screw.

now to the screws you mentioned idle mixture screws
they are at the front of the carb tucked under the float bown sort of hard to get too. these you screw in lightly then 2 full turns out the for your initial carb settings these screws are separate but need to match closely in unison when tuning your carb's idle mixture 1/2 turn for one 1/2 turn for the other do this in or out at 1/2 turn increments every minute or so with a blurp of the throttle to reset pressures then try to acheive highest idle possible then turn in 1/2 turn then adjust your curb idle down or up to get close to 750 rpm do this only when the jeep is at operating temperature.

you need to learn more about carbs search other posts and find the diagram link to the 2150 carb I posted some where.

Unread 06-16-2006, 03:11 PM   #45
atomicmoose
Just call me Moose

Quote:
you need to learn more about carbs search other posts and find the diagram link to the 2150 carb I posted some where.
I have been looking...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.