Maxbilt Console - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 65 Old 08-04-2008, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Maxbilt Console

http://www.maxbilt.com/New%20Products.html

I have seen this mentioned in the CJ forum earlier this year, and recently in the Aug 08 FOUR WHEELER mag, but not in the YJ forum (search was negative).
Not that I happen to have any interest in the company, or the magazine, I thought that forum readers would like to see this as another option for center console for YJ's.
I am considering this product to replace my stock console. Has anyone had any experience with this?

....I'm not smart, but I can lift heavy things.......

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 Old 08-04-2008, 07:57 PM
iowajeepers
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Personally, way too much money for what you get.

Smittybilt+$200 in LEDs and you still save. Plus you can host a disco!

IJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1994 YJ, 2004 WJ, 1976 C3, 2015 Slingshot, 2001 ZX6r
post #3 of 65 Old 08-04-2008, 08:08 PM
dukegnarley
1988 YJ Wrangler 

if you have the tools to cut and weld, then build your own. the one i built is similar to that one. not quite as fancy, but then it was around $60 to build.

Unlimited Length YJ "Sasquatch"

Renix 4.0
AW4 swap with
= DONE

post #4 of 65 Old 12-03-2008, 11:31 AM
Max-Bilt

I must interject, if you have seen a smittybuild you can lay it on its side and any average guy could mangle it, thin metal, cheap powder, chinsy adjustable cupholders, to vulnerable to rainstorms(no way to empty out the number of holes if you get cought in a rainstorm), the hinges are not stainless, the powdercoat will fade, you cant find LEDs that look good to put in it, plus there is a lot of time assembling. This is just our take, if you were to say a Tuffy plus LED's front,back, and inside, 12volt marine power socket, 20 amp ARB style aux switches, removable cupolders and stainless steel mounting bolts and hinges as well as a great looking centerpiece for your whole vehicle, for 150 more then I would agree. I think we all like to keep our stuff protected, right? and we all like convienience, right? simply said you get what you pay for. Opihi59 if you are still interested email me personally at pnorvold@maxbilt.com and I will take 25 percent off an order if you would like, thank you for inquiring.
Happy Jeepin,
Phil Norvold
Owner/ President
Max-Bilt LLC

Legends are Bilt!

post #5 of 65 Old 12-03-2008, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Max--congrats on becoming a Vendor on JeepForum. Thank you for your offer.

....I'm not smart, but I can lift heavy things.......

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
post #6 of 65 Old 12-03-2008, 12:33 PM
Turner
2006 TJ Wrangler 

When I started reading this I read all the posts then checked the site. I was expecting a cheezy lookin product overpriced. What I saw was a great looking product that looked convenient, easy to install, and good looking. I would buy it but its 400 dollars. Thats the only reason. I personally can wire l.e.d.s into anyconsole and bolt on straps. For me personally its not worth droppin 400 for a console on a 3600 dollar jeep. If I had all the money in the world I would get it in a heartbeat... The only thing I did not like was how the Maxbilt owner/pres bashed another manufacturers product. I think it could have been worded differently..... Not a loyal customer of any brand I just don't think degrading someone else's idea is a good way of business.... within the month I will be buyin a console but I will be spending about 75 bucks. Some say you get what you pay for but its still a freakin console.........

--Turner--
2006 Jeep TJ
1982 Toyota Pickup 20r/22r Hybrid, 5.29s, Lockrite frt/spool rear, Longfields, Hysteer, discs, armor, dents, smiles.
1970 Ford Bronco302, dana 30, 9", 3 on the tree, show stopper.
post #7 of 65 Old 12-03-2008, 12:57 PM
timatoe
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Turner, you make some excellent points. I like my Tuffy knock off just fine, and I paid under a $100 for it. This console is obviously really nice, but like you I can't justify dropping that kind of money to hold my loose junk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
post #8 of 65 Old 12-03-2008, 01:21 PM
Douglas S.

/\ That display pic is killing me

It looks like the Max-Bilt is a high quality setup and I will definitely be considering it when i go to purchase a console in the not-so-near future. Seems to me to be just as good as the Tuffy, without the price tag.

1991 Land Cruiser HDJ81

post #9 of 65 Old 12-03-2008, 01:28 PM
Brads_nky_yj

yeah price is kinda high but Phil (Max-Bilt) apparently is willing to work with you on that aka $400 with 25% off = $300. Plus he seems like the kind of person that will tell you straight up how good the product is and will probably tell you everything about it if you ask. I like people that are straight forward and are willing to work on price/info/etc.. to help someone else out. max-bilt. If I had the money right now I would pick one up, but ya gotta love being a college kid working full time plus being part of an active band.

93 YJ - SOLD
post #10 of 65 Old 12-03-2008, 01:59 PM
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

It looks like an excellent console.
I, however, would like to see someone come out with a product that doesn't resemble a couple of ammo boxes welded together.
No doubt it has security in mind and built into it, and the features are nice. But how hard is it for some company to pad the top and then wrap the whole thing in some type of weatherproof material?
If I pay several hundreds of my hard earned bucks on something like that, I want it to look good too. My Jeep is a daily driven Jeep and I try to keep it looking like something that belongs on the street. If I had a trail only rig, then I guess sheet metal boxes wouldn't bother me, but then again, I wouldn't have need for this type of security either.
I like my creature comforts, and if I pay alot of money for something that should have them, it had better have them.

Still, a nice console.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
I think I'll keep the YJ. But can I talk you into taking the wife?
DISCLAIMER: I (usually) browse the web using
in a (text only)
. Which means I do not have image viewing support. So if you get confused by my seemingly inability to comment on your pictures, emoticons, etc; now you know why.
If you're still confused
to see how I view the forum.
post #11 of 65 Old 12-03-2008, 05:03 PM
samsonitesamson
1995 ZJ 

I'm with Brandon.

When thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee ~ Isaiah 43:2 ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnabb View Post
it bolted right up, except one bolt but i didn't need it anyway
post #12 of 65 Old 12-03-2008, 05:08 PM
Marine_Mike

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Well said Brandon. I really like the MaxBilt, but for us average guys with family and bills to pay.... they're just not worth the price. I am going to get my 30mm ammo can, use the pad from my pressboard jeep console, drill and mount my rocker switches to it, then install my tumbler lock. Cheaper, and lets face it, if those cans were good enough for 50+ years of service in the military, I'm sure they can handle my jeep.

Last edited by Marine_Mike; 12-03-2008 at 05:25 PM.
post #13 of 65 Old 12-03-2008, 08:23 PM
Max-Bilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brads_nky_yj View Post
yeah price is kinda high but Phil (Max-Bilt) apparently is willing to work with you on that aka $400 with 25% off = $300. Plus he seems like the kind of person that will tell you straight up how good the product is and will probably tell you everything about it if you ask. I like people that are straight forward and are willing to work on price/info/etc.. to help someone else out. max-bilt. If I had the money right now I would pick one up, but ya gotta love being a college kid working full time plus being part of an active band.
Thanks man you call it like you see it I appreciate that
-Phil

Legends are Bilt!

post #14 of 65 Old 12-04-2008, 11:22 AM
tuffy2
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max-Bilt View Post
if you were to say a Tuffy plus LED's front,back, and inside, 12volt marine power socket, 20 amp ARB style aux switches, removable cupolders and stainless steel mounting bolts and hinges as well as a great looking centerpiece for your whole vehicle, for 150 more then I would agree. Happy Jeepin,
Phil Norvold
Owner/ President
Max-Bilt LLC
In regards to comparing the Maxbilt to a Tuffy plus additional features; While the Maxbilt does have a unique angle with all of the switches, plugs, etc. the construction is not that similar. Tuffy consoles are MIG and TIG welded, the lids are hemmed for double thickness of 16 gauge steel, and use the patented Pry-Guard II locking/latching system which incorporates heavy-duty 1/4" and 1/8" thick components with a 10 tumbler double bitted lock. I am not knocking the Max-bilt just the comparison as a Tuffy plus additional features.
post #15 of 65 Old 12-04-2008, 11:29 AM
SEZARO21
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You tell him Tuffy.

1991 2.5L YJ, 4" R.E. lift kit, 1-1/4" Lift shackles, K&N CAI, 4.0 TB w/ bored out intake, 5.0L Ford Mustang fuel injectors, 117A alternator, Ford Taurus electric fan, Rancho steering stabilizer, 8.8 Ford axle, 35x12.5x15 Dunlop Mud Rovers, Smittybuilt Titanium side steps, Smittybilt SRC Front Grille Guard Bumper, Smittybilt Stereo Center console, PIAA 520 Series fog lights, Sylvania Silverstar headlights, 20 gallon fuel tank upgrade & Herculined tub.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.