Max lift on YJ with no sye/cv modifications? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Max lift on YJ with no sye/cv modifications?

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail TJ, YJ and CJ A/T Fender Flares available @ Oconee Off-Roa*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*

Unread 03-25-2008, 08:23 PM   #1
YJ88
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Max lift on YJ with no sye/cv modifications?

I've got an '88 YJ with stock suspension/rims/tires. I'm looking to install a suspension lift and 32"x11.50" to 33"x12.50" tires with 15"x10" rims with 4.0" backspacing. I want to lift it with a 4" suspension lift, but how big of a suspension lift can I get away with before I'd have to go with an sye and/or cv drive shaft? (I specifically want to add a Rubicon 4" suspension lift with M.T. Baja ATZ Radial Plus 33"x12.50" tires on Crager 365 V5 Black steel 15"x10" rims with 4.0" backspacing. Is this doable with no other modifications?)

YJ88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2008, 08:33 PM   #2
chriscisme
1995 YJ Wrangler 

the 4 inch would probably require the sye and/or cv drive shaft..but the slip yolk should do fine

the 2.5 wouldnt need that though
Unread 03-25-2008, 08:38 PM   #3
Ohenry13
1995 YJ Wrangler 

im running SOA on 2 inch springs with a inch and a half t case drop so im sure you would be able to do that
Ohenry13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2008, 08:43 PM   #4
jeeepguy
1998 ZJ 

A factory YJ comes from the factory with some driveline vibes. That should tell you something.

If you havent driven in a stock YJ with a SYE and longer driveshaft, you won't know just how smooth the YJ can really run. Most people never experience this so have no basis for comparison.

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
jeeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2008, 08:45 PM   #5
JeepMKcomin
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeepguy View Post
A factory YJ comes from the factory with some driveline vibes. That should tell you something.

If you havent driven in a stock YJ with a SYE and longer driveshaft, you won't know just how smooth the YJ can really run. Most people never experience this so have no basis for comparison.
Uhhh... no it doesn't. That makes no sense. It's like wiping before you poop.
JeepMKcomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2008, 08:46 PM   #6
jeepbro's
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeepguy View Post
WHAT? unless you think cause its so low when the springs sag that the drive shaft is angled upwards...
Unread 03-25-2008, 09:03 PM   #7
Blazin Den
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Every jeep is different. There will be some jeeps that have a 4" lift that need a sye and other 4" ones that dont. Then there is people that have sye on jeeps lifted 2.5" because of drive line vibes. Only way to tell is lift it the way you want it and if it needs a sye put in on there. You don't want to make the drive shaft angle to steep because i have read about them popping off and doing more damage then it worth then getting a sye. You can ruin you t case, trans, exhaust and other parts of your jeep if your drive shaft isnt right.
95 White YJ 2.5L/AX-5 Stock on 31s. Ground Pounder Fab (BESRK) Front Bumper, Herculined Interior, Windshield/Front Bumper Mounted Lights, Uniden PRO 520XL Cb,Hidden Hitch Trailer Hitch, Bestop Supertop, Modified CJ7 Hardtop and CJ7 Twist Handle Full Doors (winter)
Blazin Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2008, 09:10 PM   #8
jeeepguy
1998 ZJ 

Sorry but you are in error. All AMC Jeeps came with driveline vibs. It was an inevitable engineering compromise of the short wheelbase design. When Chrysler redesigned the CJ and came out with the YJ, the redesign was another engineering compromise. Direct from one of the original engineers. The driveline does have vibs and as I posted earlier, if you do not have the experience of driving in a stock YJ with an extended driveline, you will not realize the extent of the vibs. A lift... any lift, aggravates the vibs. Nothing more, nothing less.

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
jeeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2008, 05:16 AM   #9
dankeenan

It all depends. I had to put in a SYE after a R.E. 2.5 lift with the transfer case drop. The jeep vibrated so bad I could not drive at 35 mph without the dash wanting to rattle off. I have heard of other guys running 4" lift with no issues.

Dan
dankeenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2008, 05:59 AM   #10
workinonit

I just put my 4" RE lift on a few days ago. I have a little vibration when I decelerate. But not enough to bug me. I do have the TC drop kit but have not put it in yet. But like people have said it all depends on the jeep I guess.
8.8 rear & 373 gears
still workinonit
workinonit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2009, 11:49 PM   #11
jeffrey919r1
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have installed a 4" Rubicon express lift kit with 33/12.5/15 tires and had no driveline vibs. ofcourse i did install the transfer case drop kit. it will be supplied with the rubicon express lift kit. you will be fine
jeffrey919r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2009, 05:34 AM   #12
KEEFFIE
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i do not have the details, but i just picked up a 88 with a 6 inch lift, no sye and not a whole heck of alot of vibes. i was amazed when i realized there was no sye. i assume they lifted the motor and dropped the tranny, so it would all line up.
KEEFFIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2009, 05:48 AM   #13
her94yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

well i have two YJ's on a 4 inch rc lift and 31's no case drop and then a bds 5 in on 33's with drop and have no vibes that are not the typical JY vibes and meaty tires.like they said its a slight gamble lift it then see where you are i say make sure to install the tc drop kit youll be fine.
His 89 4 inch super lift flat fenders,winch,8.8 lsd4:10s,44 front locked revolvers all 4 corners,soon to be building a half hard top now for the winter,

,94 4.0 stock gears, 4 inch RC 31x12. 15 procompXT,locked front,and rear
her94yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2009, 05:56 AM   #14
tjoh105
1999 WJ 

On my third Yj with 3" or bigger lift and none of them had any vibs before lifting, and only the second had vibs after the lift but lowing the t/c helped that out. none of them had SYE
tjoh105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2009, 06:07 AM   #15
haha1985
1995 YJ Wrangler 

4'' sus lift with a home-made tc drop on 33's everything seems fine been using this setup for 6 months now, only have little vibes from 40-50kmh
haha1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.