Matching ECU Model numbers to Vehicles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Matching ECU Model numbers to Vehicles

Gear Installs at CCOR SpecialSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 11-06-2008, 11:19 PM   #1
bdeitur
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Matching ECU Model numbers to Vehicles

I have a 1995 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L 4 cyl w/ manual transmission that I need to get a new ECU for. I hear that the 1992 through 1995 ECUs (for 4 cyl) are interchangeable. Where can I get a list of model numbers for ECUs that can be used in a 92-95 4cyl Wrangler?

NOTE: I suggest posting here even if it's not specific to my year jeep, this thread can be used to maintain a list for others with different model jeeps but who still need the same type of information. Eventually, maybe a chart can be maintained here.

Also, this is indirectly related to the material found in this thread...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/91-hard-no-start-long-cranks-cold-explained-490788/

Thank you

bdeitur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2008, 01:48 AM   #2
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

i know nothing of the pin-outs on the 4 cyl model ecus, however, on the 6 cyl there is a cut off year and i cant remember if it was 93 or 94. if you look in a haynes manual there is a diagram and you will be able to tell if the pin-out (assignments) are the same. when i replaced my 91 computer with another it was from a 92 and looked different and had drastically different markings on it but it has worked fine for years. i believe i got mine on ebay from a guy who deals with jeep computers exclusively and was helpful.
fratis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2008, 07:46 AM   #3
bdeitur
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not looking for specs on the ECU. What I'm looking for is a list that I (and anyone else in a similar situation) can use to choose an appropriate replacement ECU from a place like eBay. The model number of the ECU that I have is 56028828. Oddly enough, when I called a local auto parts shop they looked up that number and said it was for an automatic 4 cyl Wrangler. And that 56028829 was for a manual like I have. After that I did some more web searching at which point I found a number of postings that said 1992 through 1995 ECUs were interchangeable. However, since I don't know the model numbers for those ECUs, I don't know what numbers are usable if I find something on eBay. What I'm trying to get is some information or for someone to point me in the right direction so that a list of ECU model numbers used in 1992 through 1995 4 cyl manual Wranglers can be posted. If I can find more info such as ones for 6 cyl or automatic, that list can be made even more useful for others who are searching.

Thanks.
Unread 11-07-2008, 01:04 PM   #4
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdeitur View Post
I have a 1995 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L 4 cyl w/ manual transmission that I need to get a new ECU for. I hear that the 1992 through 1995 ECUs (for 4 cyl) are interchangeable. Where can I get a list of model numbers for ECUs that can be used in a 92-95 4cyl Wrangler?

NOTE: I suggest posting here even if it's not specific to my year jeep, this thread can be used to maintain a list for others with different model jeeps but who still need the same type of information. Eventually, maybe a chart can be maintained here.

Also, this is indirectly related to the material found in this thread...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=490788

Thank you

For 94 & 95 YJ's 2.5 std shift The Powertrain Control Module # is 5602 7575 and is not interchangable with:

For 91-93 YJ's std shift 5602 7536

If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I should be able to bench press a Grand Cherokee by now!
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2008, 12:51 AM   #5
bdeitur
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Before I started having the cold weather ECU issue, the ECU was working fine (had the jeep over a year). As I said, the number of the ECU in this Wrangler is 56028828 which I was told was for an automatic 4Cyl 95 Wrangler. According to the Parts Store, the one listed for a 95 4Cyl Manual one is actually supposed to be 56028828.

In a number of postings and searches I read that the 92 to 95 Wrangler ECUs are interchangeable (i.e. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/someone-school-me-ecu-ecm-pcms-real-quick-331965/ )....as long as I stick with the 4 Cyl Manual version (despite the fact that my Manual Jeep was using an Automatic version of the ECU).

With other web searches I found this list of ECU numbers...
http://ecmoutlet.com/jeep-ecm.htm
However, it doesn't break the list down by Number of Cyl or Automatic/Manual. Oddly enough, neither my current, nor the one the parts store said I should be using is in that list.

So, what I'm trying to do is create a comprehensive list that I, and others after me, can refer to for situations where the ECU needs to be replaced....making it easier to get one on eBay or such.

Thanks.
Unread 01-19-2009, 09:08 PM   #6
snaustin09

(Bump)
I am also wondering the same thing about interchangeability of ECU's. Can I put a 91-95 Cherokee ECU into my 94 Wrangler, as long as it's still the 4.0L? Also, does the tranny matter if they are interchangeable? Any advice/success stories? Thanks very much
Unread 01-20-2009, 08:12 AM   #7
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Here is a listing of these ECU's.

http://home.comcast.net/~laybackman/94_96_ecms.jpg

That number ecu is not listed, BUT this is a print document and could have been superceded by a newer one. This Jeep parts manual is # 81-690-1917 and superceded manual 812-690-1873.

If I can find anything about 5602 8828 I'll get back to you. Note they list one whose # is 5602 8829. It has no RFI protection IIRC.
FWIW if that is what is on your ECU then you know it did work at one time!

If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I should be able to bench press a Grand Cherokee by now!
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.